Powder coating some parts

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I want to get a CSF manifold and want to get it powder coated at a local shop. Do you guys think it’s safe to get it done at a shop rather than through CSF because I want to get the throttle body powder coated too so they match. I’m not even sure it’s safe to do the throttle body. What do you guys think? Has anyone here done it?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
It's basically impossible to powder the throttle body. You definitely have to take it apart (there's motor and plastic in it) then it has to be re-assembled after. We were going to try with one, but gave up, and threw that TB away. lol

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's basically impossible to powder the throttle body. You definitely have to take it apart (there's motor and plastic in it) then it has to be re-assembled after. We were going to try with one, but gave up, and threw that TB away. lol
Oh wow okay. Thanks for the info about the throttle body. I haven’t really taken a close look at it so I appreciate the reply. I guess that rules that idea out lol.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
@zrk do you see any issues with getting the CSF manifold powder coated at a local powder coating shop? @Titan Motorsports has an awesome Black Friday deal on the 6-piece CSF cooling package but the issue I see is that there is no option with that kit to get the manifold powder coated by CSF. I'd need to get it done at a local shop but CSF says they won't warranty any manifolds not powder coated by them.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@zrk do you see any issues with getting the CSF manifold powder coated at a local powder coating shop? @Titan Motorsports has an awesome Black Friday deal on the 6-piece CSF cooling package but the issue I see is that there is no option with that kit to get the manifold powder coated by CSF. I'd need to get it done at a local shop but CSF says they won't warranty any manifolds not powder coated by them.
Yeah, I’d definitely avoid powdering a CSF manifold.

That would involve buying a CSF manifold, and I don’t like junk parts.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Haha! Not even a hypothetical answer huh? Lol. I know it’s not an EOS manifold but I don’t need that bad boy. It’s just for daily driving, especially out here in the Nevada desert heat, the occasional pulls, taking out unsuspecting muscle cars, and of course looking awesome under my hood. That being said, is it safe to powder coat it? I can’t imagine why not?

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
I wouldn’t run csf parts even if they were free. Currently on a Wagner manifold in AZ heat and temps are solid.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Haha! Not even a hypothetical answer huh? Lol. I know it’s not an EOS manifold but I don’t need that bad boy. It’s just for daily driving, especially out here in the Nevada desert heat, the occasional pulls, taking out unsuspecting muscle cars, and of course looking awesome under my hood. That being said, is it safe to powder coat it? I can’t imagine why not?
Powerding coating will be fine, but you need to make sure you seal off everything.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Don't even bother with anything but the manifold. The Supra's cooling is fine except for the manifold. All the exchangers are just a waste and there's a reason the CSF products are being sold at liquidation prices.

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
It’s just for daily driving, especially out here in the Nevada desert heat, the occasional pulls, taking out unsuspecting muscle cars, and of course looking awesome under my hood.
Do you even have "desert heat" in Reno? :cool: Even if you're coming down south for those "occasional pulls" you won't have any issues as long as the "occasional" part holds. I worried the first summer a bit, but not anymore. Factory system is pretty good at draining that heat away quickly - depending on your tune/mods of course.

Now, if you're running a kilo-horse monster like @zrk and pushing it hard for multiple runs... then you definitely need to upgrade the cooling (and keep a stockpile of axles on hand, maybe a driveshaft or two, extra transmission, etc.). ;)

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do you even have "desert heat" in Reno? :cool: Even if you're coming down south for those "occasional pulls" you won't have any issues as long as the "occasional" part holds. I worried the first summer a bit, but not anymore. Factory system is pretty good at draining that heat away quickly - depending on your tune/mods of course.

Now, if you're running a kilo-horse monster like @zrk and pushing it hard for multiple runs... then you definitely need to upgrade the cooling (and keep a stockpile of axles on hand, maybe a driveshaft or two, extra transmission, etc.). ;)
Yeah in the summer it can get pretty hot for stretches here. Not as hot as Vegas, but mid to high 90’s are common and even have had times where it’s been consecutive days in the low to mid 100’s.

Yeah I definitely don’t have a monster horsepower car like a bunch of you guys on here, but the goal is to eventually have around 600hp. That’s enough for me I think. Once I get to that power level then I’ll see if I want more lol. I’ve tracked it a few times, driven down to Supras in Vegas and tracked it there, and would definitely do some drag racing too some day, just for fun though. I agree that the factory system is probably good enough, but I think the car will benefit from the added cooling capabilities of the whole system.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
It won't. The intake manifold will heat soak long before the other parts, and you'll be back where you started.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Hey guys I want to get a CSF manifold and want to get it powder coated at a local shop. Do you guys think it’s safe to get it done at a shop rather than through CSF because I want to get the throttle body powder coated too so they match. I’m not even sure it’s safe to do the throttle body. What do you guys think? Has anyone here done it?
If the TB isn't able to be powder coated and you are desperate to colour match it with other engine components you could always have it sprayed in 2 pack. 2 pack is fuel and plenty enough heat resistant for a throttle body and has excellent adhesion to metal parts without primer. The prep and masking would be a bit fiddly but definitely very doable and workable. I've painted engine components in 2 pack many times that have far more onerous conditions to deal with than engine bay heat. You can order it in small quantities and spray it at home if you have a gun and compressor. A breathing mask is highly desirable but for small parts it's quite doable. You can even buy 2 pack in a spray bomb style can where you activate the in can catalyst and have a period of time to spray the component. Ideal for small jobs like a TB.

Phil
Sponsored