PSA: Are you about to buy a new turbo? You should wait.

travsam89

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1998 Trans Am WS6
I... very very strongly disagree with that. The fast top mount cars are moving to bottom mounts. Faster spool and better heat management with the same turbos.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 20.42.14.png
What makes a bottom mount spool faster than a top mount? I would think they would be pretty similar depending on turbo size?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
What makes a bottom mount spool faster than a top mount? I would think they would be pretty similar depending on turbo size?
It's all in the design of the exhaust manifold. The less distance the exhaust gasses have to travel the faster the spool.

travsam89

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1998 Trans Am WS6
Nothing like having a top mount turbo and seeing waves of heat coming from your hood...knowing that your carbon fiber is getting roasted.

Feels good man.
lol well i guess ill find out when i get this G35-1050 mounted

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
It's all in the design of the exhaust manifold. The less distance the exhaust gasses have to travel the faster the spool.
And the engine/head is thermally designed to locate the turbo down low. It's just better packaging.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve been following. Still a long wait for a Chinese turbo.
It's a long wait because the product does something others don't.

1) It reuses the EWG for easier tuning, even with a significantly larger compressor housing. That requires unique R&D to relocate the wastegate actuator without binding. The compressor housing sits notably further away from the block.

2) It uses a custom compressor housing that bolts up into the stock location, maintaining compatibility with OEM or any other downpipe. It's twin scroll, designed to flow ~900WHP, and spool bloody quick.

3) It's a custom compressor and turbine wheel setup that doesn't exist on the market.

4) His first design used stainless steel, but there was a setback and it proved too difficult to manufacture.

Could he shit out a small manifold with a vband a pneumatic WG? Sure. That's fast as hell; he could've finished that in 90 days. But that's not the product Remnant Performance wants to make, and what they do want to make is something almost entirely custom.

Everything he's doing is posted on Remnant Instagram. Every stage of the R&D. Most recently, two production 2port units are completed and coming to the US for testing with Marin.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
It's a long wait because the product does something others don't.

1) It reuses the EWG for easier tuning, even with a significantly larger compressor housing. That requires unique R&D to relocate the wastegate actuator without binding. The compressor housing sits notably further away from the block.

2) It uses a custom compressor housing that bolts up into the stock location, maintaining compatibility with OEM or any other downpipe. It's twin scroll, designed to flow ~900WHP, and spool bloody quick.

3) It's a custom compressor and turbine wheel setup that doesn't exist on the market.

4) His first design used stainless steel, but there was a setback and it proved too difficult to manufacture.

Could he shit out a small manifold with a vband a pneumatic WG? Sure. That's fast as hell; he could've finished that in 90 days. But that's not the product Remnant Performance wants to make, and what they do want to make is something almost entirely custom.

Everything he's doing is posted on Remnant Instagram. Every stage of the R&D. Most recently, two production 2port units are completed and coming to the US for testing with Marin.
I keep hearing all these things about how much attention to detail, how high quality it will be, how it's going to make a billion hrsprs. Trust me, I hope so, that would be GREAT. However, looking at their current products in the market, I remain skeptical. Hell, the turbo is some no-name thing.

I would love to have my expectations smashed. Only time will tell.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I keep hearing all these things about how much attention to detail, how high quality it will be, how it's going to make a billion hrsprs. Trust me, I hope so, that would be GREAT. However, looking at their current products in the market, I remain skeptical. Hell, the turbo is some no-name thing.

I would love to have my expectations smashed. Only time will tell.
I don't think it's about promising the world, dude. Just about being realistic. It's not another bog standard header/vband/turbo setup, so it takes more time. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

As a sidenote: their turbo ODM is the same as Garrett. Yes, Garrett does not make their own turbos. They license ODM designs, and Remnant is using the same supplier to their own specifications.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I don't think it's about promising the world, dude. Just about being realistic. It's not another bog standard header/vband/turbo setup, so it takes more time. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

As a sidenote: their turbo ODM is the same as Garrett. Yes, Garrett does not make their own turbos. They license ODM designs, and Remnant is using the same supplier to their own specifications.
Cool, everything is literally speculation still. Time will tell. :)

CTS is a great example. Turned out a turd. Could have been great.

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition

CTS turbos always had a bad reputation just like Vargas. The Omega series turbos by Remnant on the other hand have been proven on the Genesis platform. A lot of people have been running their kits and turbos with great reliability and performance.

Not to mention customer service, which is a joke for both CTS and Vargas. Remnant Performance has one of the best customer services I've seen.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
CTS turbos always had a bad reputation just like Vargas. The Omega series turbos by Remnant on the other hand have been proven on the Genesis platform. A lot of people have been running their kits and turbos with great reliability and performance.

Not to mention customer service, which is a joke for both CTS and Vargas. Remnant Performance has one of the best customer services I've seen.
I look forward to seeing how awesome they are!

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Anyone with a passing knowledge of turbos should have seen the red flags around CTS.

1) Their power claims changed several times, and later fell apart under scrutiny.

2) They scraped the parts bin for old-gen GTX turbo parts, which are known to spool slowly and flow poorly.

3) They couldn't even correctly count the number of blades on their compressor wheel. Their design had one number, their website said another. A typo is not merely a typo, here, as the blade count and production tech makes a big difference in the overall performance of the solution.

Like, if you've been around turbos long enough you don't really need to experience the turbo on a car to get a good understanding of what's being offered. If you ask the right questions and get the right answers, not much is left to the imagination. At that point you're just looking at QC, but the turbo manufacturer should be very forthcoming about design tolerances and cartridge balancing as that defines the suitable applications.

CTS had glaring flaws that were printed right on the box. Not sure why or how people got duped. The comparisons don't feel warranted.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Anyone with a passing knowledge of turbos should have seen the red flags around CTS.

1) Their power claims changed several times, and later fell apart under scrutiny.

2) They scraped the parts bin for old-gen GTX turbo parts, which are known to spool slowly and flow poorly.

3) They couldn't even correctly count the number of blades on their compressor wheel. Their design had one number, their website said another. A typo is not merely a typo, here, as the blade count and production tech makes a big difference in the overall performance of the solution.

Like, if you've been around turbos long enough you don't really need to experience the turbo on a car to get a good understanding of what's being offered. If you ask the right questions and get the right answers, not much is left to the imagination. At that point you're just looking at QC, but the turbo manufacturer should be very forthcoming about design tolerances and cartridge balancing as that defines the suitable applications.

CTS had glaring flaws that were printed right on the box. Not sure why or how people got duped. The comparisons don't feel warranted.
I agree. I was one of the people very skeptical of them. I've been testing turbos, shooting turbines out exhausts for decades now. :)

I do remain skeptical about Remnant, but I hope I am wrong. To me, it's hard to take a company that offers T51R mods seriously though.