R888R's at the Dragstrip

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I am hoping someone can help shorten my learning curve on here, I just went to the local dragstrip and I have 285 35's. I was able to get one good run that I hooked really well but held back on it, and every other run after that I blew the tires off. This is 1/8th at Irwindale in California, I ran a 7.2 @ 98 with a best 60ft of 1.7. For those that are running the R888R, have you had any success on hooking, and if so what pressure/settings worked the best for you? If I was to do it again I would probably have gone with a dedicated tire/drag setup, but since this is what I have now I am looking to see how I can get the best results with what I have.
Sponsored

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
You'll probably want to drop tire pressure to like 25lbs, make sure to do a decent burn out, and also make sure to launch in second gear with traction control off.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
You'll probably want to drop tire pressure to like 25lbs, make sure to do a decent burn out, and also make sure to launch in second gear with traction control off.
I ran 1.74 best 60 ft and consistent 1.7 to 1.8 on the stock Michelins. 11.98 to 12.05 quarter. No traction issues. Ran in auto sport mode TC off. Only tried the paddles and starting in 2 nd once. Major bog with a 2 something 60 foot. I just don’t see how we have enough torque stock for that. And I left at 2200 plus rpm and still bogged badly. I did drop to like 28 lbs pressure.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Are you by chance tuned? How long have you had the R888's and are they the primary tires you run on the car? It's possible they could be heat cycled out. When you're launching are you stalling the car by holding the brake down to raise your launch RPM or are you trying to use the factory launch control, or are you just stabbing the throttle from a stand still?

The R888r should be able to grip quite a bit better than the factory tires and there are plenty of people that have proven that launching in manual mode second gear is best, I guess you just need to be at a much higher RPM.

ApexMissingApe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra (sold), BMW M550i, G8 GXP
I don’t drag race in R888R but I have them as my track setup. These tires need heat to stick on the track so I’m guessing they need a decent burnout to get them warm enough at the strip.

OP
OP
Vimugsy011

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Are you by chance tuned? How long have you had the R888's and are they the primary tires you run on the car? It's possible they could be heat cycled out. When you're launching are you stalling the car by holding the brake down to raise your launch RPM or are you trying to use the factory launch control, or are you just stabbing the throttle from a stand still?

The R888r should be able to grip quite a bit better than the factory tires and there are plenty of people that have proven that launching in manual mode second gear is best, I guess you just need to be at a much higher RPM.
Tuned Stage 2 OTS on e30, doing the typical 2nd gear brake boost.

25/26 psi is what I was running so ill try running low 20's to see if that helps. I did a pretty decent burnout the second time around hoping that would help. Didn't think that would hurt me lol, so a lighter burnout would be better eh?

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I've not found pressures below 25-26 to be beneficial but your results may vary. More heat is better than too little as well. Ultimately your success is going to be determined by the track prep more than anything, experimentation is really the only way to figure out what's going to work for your setup.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Aren't r888s designed for road circuits?
Pretty big difference from dragging...

On a road coarse they typically take a few laps to get up to temp..
Can't imagine a burn out could get them to operational temps...

Steve

OP
OP
Vimugsy011

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Alright everyone I did some testing with Draggy and wanted to share what I found out. I have always heard that everyone has the best results with the manual mode in 2nd and brake boosting. That is probably true with a slick or a dedicated sticky drag tire, but the torque it delivers and how quickly will be tough for all other tires. I ended up getting on average and more consistently .10 lower on my 60ft by manual mode in first BUT short shifting. Quick take-off and the better the track the longer you can hold onto first.
Sponsored