Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
For sure. I would say Im a competitive event track nut and daily the car reliably. I think you can be smart about your mods as far as "on-track-benefit vs daily-use-annoyance" without making the car unreliable or unsuited for daily use. The only things that change between dropping my kid off at school and a competitive PB setup at the pointy end of the leaderboard is tires, brake pads and splitter. I also daily rt615k+'s because Im really into making immature decisions, but thats a personal thing :)
Tires Ive used on this car with my personal takes on each tire so far for time attack are OE Michelins (blah), PS4S's(meh), Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's(trash), Falken rt615k+(good heat tolerance and reliable grip), RT660's(same or better heat tolerance as 615's but higher grip), Advan A052 (ok heat tolerance and easy to heat up with best grip, just get your fast PB laps in on lap 2 or 3).
I also daily on my Maxxis Victra RC1s. The poor thingsā€¦. My Supra app says Iā€™m at 3784 miles. Iā€˜m pretty sure itā€™s been 8 track days (maybe 10) and miles to and from track. Not much in town driving. This next set Iā€™ll slap on the OEM wheels and rubber between track days. And stop bending tie rods, lol. Iā€™m surprised those tires lasted as long as they did.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I also daily on my Maxxis Victra RC1s. The poor thingsā€¦. My Supra app says Iā€™m at 3784 miles. Iā€˜m pretty sure itā€™s been 8 track days (maybe 10) and miles to and from track. Not much in town driving. This next set Iā€™ll slap on the OEM wheels and rubber between track days. And stop bending tie rods, lol. Iā€™m surprised those tires lasted as long as they did.
You drive the RC1's through Florida rain? Brave man.

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Great for everyone else jumping in, the 200 treadwear group are a good choice for daily and tracking. And agree with all the above. Lots of options. The F1 goodyears yes, those are some really good fast tires, but were a little to pricy for me so have tried to get that good balance. Plus makes me try to make the difference with slower tire. So is nice if you get the same time as people on faster tires:) and you do not break the bank. The next level Maxxis rc2 is really only a track tire even though it does have 2 grooves down the center so is technically a dot approved tire, but pretty tricky in the rain so probably not a daily tire. NASA uses as spec tire for and the contingency is good if you are doing TT. Also for those that do not know, If you are a NASA member you can also get a discount on them, so just go to the member benefits and request a code. They are backed up as I am still waiting on mine for 2023 season.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
You drive the RC1's through Florida rain? Brave man.
Yessir. But definitely not for everyone. Good point to practice on your home track in the rain lots before driving all over the place.

The next level Maxxis rc2 is really only a track tire even though it does have 2 grooves down the center so is technically a dot approved tire, but pretty tricky in the rain so probably not a daily tire. NASA uses as spec tire for and the contingency is good if you are doing TT. Also for those that do not know, If you are a NASA member you can also get a discount on them, so just go to the member benefits and request a code. They are backed up as I am still waiting on mine for 2023 season.
Are we talking about the same tire? Youā€™re making me want to order my next set already šŸ˜²

https://baero.tech/blog/2020/6/1/maxxis-rc1-r2-review

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My advice is same as most:
1. If your car is safe enough for the street, it's safe enough for the track so get out there. You don't need race car parts. Go slow, have fun. Nobody will notice, much less make fun of you for it.
2. Buy brake pads and fluid first. Keep driving.
3. Buy 200tw tires second. Keep driving.
4. Buy coilovers third. Keep driving.
5. But whatever you want after, at this point you probably know what you need.
6. No, you don't need to do autox first.

Other than basic safety stuff that everyone already knows, that's my initial advice.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I ran Bridgestone RE-71RS on the stock wheels and they've been a great dual-purpose tire. They work well on the street, in the rain, etc.. On track I find them a little slow to warm up but they have good heat tolerance and they wear well. However, if/when I were to do it again I would go straight to an 18" square setup to mitigate the understeer.

DanzBurG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra, '10 Yaris, '19 Fit
Super glad I found this thread!!

Question to you all.. is anyone running 295/35/18 or 19 square? If so what wheels are you running? I mostly saw offerings from Titan7 and Apex who run this tire size on all 4's. I really like the TE37 Ultra M spec set up that people have for this car but most run it staggered.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
So I mentioned in some other comments that I run 275/35/18 - apex wheels that are made specifically for the supra - as you know the fronts are stock 255 - so I did not think 275 would fit with stock fenders. But with these they do. Big brakes as well. I am not sure if a 295 would fit on front I expect not. I do not think you would see much difference if you got 295 and say 275 in front. So for me 18" has a lot more tire options and 275 square allows you to cross rotate etc. so just much easier and there is plenty of grip. So for sure this size fits an no worry about rubbing even when you get higher camber etc.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I run 315s all around on Apex 18x11s. No rubbing except if I am trying to do a sharp u-turn. My car is only .5" lower than stock which I am sure plays a big part in it.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I run 315s all around on Apex 18x11s. No rubbing except if I am trying to do a sharp u-turn. My car is only .5" lower than stock which I am sure plays a big part in it.
stock struts and no spacers?

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
That was what I was thinking stock front strut is pretty close with that big spring/ perch an is where it can rub as well as fender well inside or top edges - so I did not think you could get to a 315 square with out wide body stuff. So sounds like it is tight.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
stock struts and no spacers?
Absolutely no way they would fit with stock struts. Coilovers are a must with a 11" wheel up front. I also run 3.2Ā° of camber up front which keeps the tire from poking out. Its a tight squeeze but it does work! Same goes for the rear, I think 315s are all we can fit. Barely clears on both sides.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Got it. Makes sense. If others do not have all of that. The 18x10ā€ apex wheel fits with stock struts and a camber plate with as much camber as you can give it. Stock springs will rub on strut tower ribs after about - 2.8. So there is limits. With coil overs you then can go higher if you want.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Super glad I found this thread!!

Question to you all.. is anyone running 295/35/18 or 19 square? If so what wheels are you running? I mostly saw offerings from Titan7 and Apex who run this tire size on all 4's. I really like the TE37 Ultra M spec set up that people have for this car but most run it staggered.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)
295 fits fine. You can even stuff a 315 under all four corners with no fender mods. Of course, this means you need to be running coilovers for more tire to spring clearance and a good amount of negative camber, which you should be running anyway for track use.

I ran a square set of 295/30/18 on my 18x10.5 +35 wheels with zero issues. I have a friend that runs 295/35/18 on 18x10.7 +38 with zero issues as well.

Here where my 295/30/18 for reference:

IMG_4562.jpeg

IMG_4580.jpeg

HODNE 331 White Toyota 06-10-2022 21693.jpg
Sponsored