Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Nice! We will compare lap data next time weā€™re on track. Ill dm you a few of my laps.
Hatā€™s off to one fast Supra at Homestead!

Thatā€™s way faster than my schloppy drivingā€¦. Holy cow šŸ® šŸ¤©
Canā€™t wait to see you out there again!! Perhaps this weekend with Chin?

Haha, that's awesome - that's me in my M3. That day was rough. Terrible smoke from nearby fires.

And to stay true to Supra... recent pic from Sonoma Raceway with red
Cool looking track, changes in elevation and could hear you scrubbing while staying focused as hell! Love it šŸ˜ Met a new buddy last weekend with his GT350. His dad was hauling ass!!!! Passing me in the corners perfectly. Then I turned around and did the same, later in the day, when his son was driving, lol.

There's a reason I'm still in California. And it ain't for the politics or CARB. šŸ¤£
So with ya brother! Absolutely love California ā¤. Best to stay out of it and just vote šŸ—³ your way back in.

Last edited:

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Saw some mentions of Racebox Mini paired with a smartphone app in here. Does anyone still run this or has everyone graduated?

Might pick one up for cheap so was trying to decide if this was a good option

šŸ‘

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mega impressed with this senior editorā€™s article on track setups!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a42951929/race-car-setup-psychology

I personally love a more ā€œtwitchyā€ fast response turn in coming from a S2K. But never thought how annoying it would be in say a 24 hour race or if you were mentally/physically tired.

Whatā€™s yā€™allā€™s thoughts on the article?

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
Saw some mentions of Racebox Mini paired with a smartphone app in here. Does anyone still run this or has everyone graduated?

Might pick one up for cheap so was trying to decide if this was a good option

šŸ‘
I used one hooked up to Harryā€™s lap timer and it is very accurate when comparing my official times from my transponder when I run both

hassle of getting it ready for track days stops me from using itā€¦ mainly an issue with Harryā€™s lap timer

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

I personally love a more ā€œtwitchyā€ fast response turn in coming from a S2K. But never thought how annoying it would be in say a 24 hour race or if you were mentally/physically tired.

It is a decent overview

wish I could turn the steering down on the Zupra. I chase tenths in TT. But donā€™t make set up changes between tracks or sessions beside air and hp.

that is just on another level above me.

driver mods is still the biggest thing we can do

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota

in my experience, to control "loose" car to go faster, you will be closer to the edge of "in control" and "out of control". closer to the edge, faster than "not so loose" car but just slightly off the edge, it'd be much slower. of course off on the other side of the edge, you lose control which you don't want to do. - some other day topic. To be on the edge for prolong time, it will cause fatigue faster. As you already know, just 20 - 30 min. of DE session can be physical. typical sprint race lasts 45 min. ~ 2 hours. Although you will be on stints of 1 ~ 2 hours, within 24 hours, the fatigue does not get completely relieved in between stints.

A comparison you could try if you have time, in GT7, try to drive sprint and endurance model of BMW M6 GR.3 car. very slight difference, but you may notice it driving on Nurburgring 24h configuration for hours.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It is a decent overview

wish I could turn the steering down on the Zupra. I chase tenths in TT. But donā€™t make set up changes between tracks or sessions beside air and hp.

that is just on another level above me.

driver mods is still the biggest thing we can do
Sorry if I forgot, did you get a baseline lap with a pro yet? Iā€™m still waiting to do that myself for stupid reasons. Like thinking my car needs to be ā€setupā€ perfectly. I canā€™t wait to see how my car does with a professional in it! And you probably have already done this, but turning off everything may give you that extra tenth of a second youā€™re looking for šŸ˜ƒ

in my experience, to control "loose" car to go faster, you will be closer to the edge of "in control" and "out of control". closer to the edge, faster than "not so loose" car but just slightly off the edge, it'd be much slower. of course off on the other side of the edge, you lose control which you don't want to do. - some other day topic. To be on the edge for prolong time, it will cause fatigue faster. As you already know, just 20 - 30 min. of DE session can be physical. typical sprint race lasts 45 min. ~ 2 hours. Although you will be on stints of 1 ~ 2 hours, within 24 hours, the fatigue does not get completely relieved in between stints.

A comparison you could try if you have time, in GT7, try to drive sprint and endurance model of BMW M6 GR.3 car. very slight difference, but you may notice it driving on Nurburgring 24h configuration for hours.
Again Iā€™m really comfortable with a ā€œlooseā€ car. She still feels a bit heavy to me. And Iā€™m driving with a stock seat. Harder to gain that confidence with my left knee against the door. Also have had some brake bed in issues (rookie mistake), all fixed now. A lot of bad excuses šŸ˜œ for not being on the edge even moreā€¦

Last edited:

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Sorry if I forgot, did you get a baseline lap with a pro yet? Iā€™m still waiting to do that myself for stupid reasons. Like thinking my car needs to be ā€setupā€ perfectly. I canā€™t wait to see how my car does with a professional in it! And you probably have already done this, but turning off everything may give you that extra tenth of a second youā€™re looking for šŸ˜ƒ

Again Iā€™m really comfortable with a ā€œlooseā€ car. She still feels a bit heavy to me. And Iā€™m driving with a stock seat. Harder to gain that confidence with my left knee against the door. Also have had some brake bed in issues (rookie mistake), all fixed now. A lot of bad excuses šŸ˜œ for not being on the edge even moreā€¦

I love how the editor explains from different pro drivers perspectives and dependent on what they are doing. Agree that with HPDE, Iā€™m fine with the physical part. I still workout, do weights and cardio. So I still enjoy it. My max seat time is with Chin Motorsports. Driving the last ā€œhappy hourā€ and draining a tank of gas. My ADHD neurons are still firing that whole hourā€¦ but who knows when theyā€™d cut off on track. I sure am drained after a good day of tracking! Thatā€™s for sure :)
Have you considered decaf??

have not gotten a pro time A couple
Pros have driven mine. But only at 8/10ths effort

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I have read through all 24 pages of this and really appreciate the dialogue, logs and great feedback from veterans of the sport.

Here's a few questions from someone getting ready for their first "official" track day (hopefully these are useful for others getting ready).

1. For the supra, is there anything that MUST be done prior to getting on the track (free track day or otherwise). Ex. Aluminum skid plates, etc.

2. A lot of discussion has been made about the car itself, what about tools that you would recommend bringing?

3. Other must have or nice to have items?

4. I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but is an instructor included in the free track day or just the event?

5. What does a track instructor typically cost?

adawine

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra
Iā€™ll attempt to answer most of that.

1. Nothing required to hit the track, plenty of stock supras successfully doing track days. Recommended to do, but not necessary, would be brake pads and brake fluid. Drivers mod and just getting out there is the best thing you can do.

2. Tools necessary for a track day are pretty universal. Basics like Jack, Jack stands, impact wrench, lugnut socket, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, tire inflator, etc. Not a comprehensive list by any stretch. For your first track day, I would just focus on the basics and just get out there. Generally speaking, if you do need to do any work on the car, there will be more experienced people there with the required tools who are more than willing to help.

3. Nice to have items are always personal preference, but a pop up tent, lawn chair, sunscreen, and a cooler with snacks and drinks is always a good idea.

4. Canā€™t speak on the free NASA track day, I didnā€™t do mine.

5. A lot of track day clubs provide free instruction with their days for novice groups to get oriented. Check up on Motorsportsreg for local track days and clubs that come through the area and theyā€™ll have in their description if instructors are available or not.

Also, just have fun. First track days can be really intimidating, but theyā€™re a great time and highly addictive.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
Iā€™ll attempt to answer most of that.

1. Nothing required to hit the track, plenty of stock supras successfully doing track days. Recommended to do, but not necessary, would be brake pads and brake fluid. Drivers mod and just getting out there is the best thing you can do.

2. Tools necessary for a track day are pretty universal. Basics like Jack, Jack stands, impact wrench, lugnut socket, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, tire inflator, etc. Not a comprehensive list by any stretch. For your first track day, I would just focus on the basics and just get out there. Generally speaking, if you do need to do any work on the car, there will be more experienced people there with the required tools who are more than willing to help.

3. Nice to have items are always personal preference, but a pop up tent, lawn chair, sunscreen, and a cooler with snacks and drinks is always a good idea.

4. Canā€™t speak on the free NASA track day, I didnā€™t do mine.

5. A lot of track day clubs provide free instruction with their days for novice groups to get oriented. Check up on Motorsportsreg for local track days and clubs that come through the area and theyā€™ll have in their description if instructors are available or not.

Also, just have fun. First track days can be really intimidating, but theyā€™re a great time and highly addictive.
Thanks. Definitely great answers which should keep in the spirit of the thread.

Gotta figure out when I'm doing my track day still.
Sponsored