Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
RE71RS worked well for me as a dual purpose tire and they had decent life. Massive step up from the OEM tire.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
hoping for 265f and 295r
Turns out that 265f 295r is the largest tires you can run on a 987.1 Cayman without a wide body so I'm very familiar with the tire selection.

The 265 is a really tough size. 275 would have far better tire selection and will easily fit up front on our cars. Just something to consider.

Eyelise

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2023 Supra
I need driving shoes suggestions. What are your favorites?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Last edited:

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The video won't upload for some reason so posting a link to it: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8RPJAf7/

From a track sprint in May at the Poconos Raceway. Wanted to post and get feedback as I have a few track days and autocross events coming up soon. I definitely feel myself getting better in terms of my lines but I still feel like I fight the car coming out of some turns. It gets super tail happy. Car is bone stock outside of wider wheels with more aggressive offset. Stock tires. I'm thinking of eventually adding the eibach sway bars and maybe having them at the middle setting? Or do I just need more seat time for better handle of the car (although this probably is a given anyways haha)?

Also my excitement at the end was due to the fact that this was the last run of the day and I got my best time from it lol. Got me best in my class for the day.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The video won't upload for some reason so posting a link to it: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8RPJAf7/

From a track sprint in May at the Poconos Raceway. Wanted to post and get feedback as I have a few track days and autocross events coming up soon. I definitely feel myself getting better in terms of my lines but I still feel like I fight the car coming out of some turns. It gets super tail happy. Car is bone stock outside of wider wheels with more aggressive offset. Stock tires. I'm thinking of eventually adding the eibach sway bars and maybe having them at the middle setting? Or do I just need more seat time for better handle of the car (although this probably is a given anyways haha)?

Also my excitement at the end was due to the fact that this was the last run of the day and I got my best time from it lol. Got me best in my class for the day.
I'd love to watch it, but I avoid TikTok like the plague. 🤣

Honestly, you probably should be tightening the nut behind the wheel before you start modifying the suspension. The brakes are a different story though as the stock pads and fluid are OK for the track, but they're easily overwhelmed. My first track day showed me that. Better pads and fluid are a must.

Last year I started doing track driving after a 3 year hiatus from SCCA AUTOX and high performance driving. I started as a Novice with an instructor for my first 5 events, and I can tell you that it was absolutely invaluable. Having a good instructor/coach who is a better driver than you will improve your driving skills.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're within a reasonable distance from Lime Rock Park in Connecticut I would strongly suggest a car control clinic from SCDA. I've done 2 now and it's taught me a lot about my car, how it rotates, how to safely spin out, and how to drift.

I'd like to think the thread I started several months ago has provided good information and helped people out. I followed Jackie Ding's recommendations for mild upgrades. Stage 1 maximizes the stock tires, Stage 2 prepares the car for 200 tw tires and coilovers. This has worked out very very well for me this season. Next year I'll be moving to either Ohlins or MCS coilovers.

TLDR Seat time, seat time, seat time.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The stickiest (lowest tread wear) you can afford. Happens to be Maxxis for me for my size.

These guys (Apex) happen to keep this chart up to date. I love it! Someone’s going to eventually tell me to stop posting the damn thing. At 66 pages in, I probably already have… 😂

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260802325669-GR-Supra-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
These days the tread wear rating doesn’t mean anything, plus I am pretty sure @Eyelise was asking about actual shoes you put on your feet 😂

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I need driving shoes suggestions. What are your favorites?
I bought these at the beginning of the season and love them. They weren't too expensive, and luckily they fit like a glove. I wear them all day during track days and they feel like slippers.

I do wear "hard/dress shoes" all day everyday for my job so my view may be skewed from someone that wears sneakers or sandals.

ciccio90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 GR | Macan GTS | RR
The 265 is a really tough size. 275 would have far better tire selection and will easily fit up front on our cars. Just something to consider.
Turns out that 265f 295r is the largest tires you can run on a 987.1 Cayman without a wide body so I'm very familiar with the tire selection.

Found a set. You're a genius.

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
RE driving shoes - 2 approaches:
- if you don't plan on moving to some kind of racing (time trials, endurance, etc.) that requires fire-resistant shoes, wrestling shoes are your jam. They suck to wear all day, but they have tons of pedal feel. I have a 25 y/o pair of Asics that I bought when I started autocrossing.

- if you do plan on "racing" or just want fire resistance, just about ANY racing shoe will work. Almost all of them are a similar design, but there are certainly wildly varying quality levels. As with the wrestling shoes, they are super thin and suck to wear all day as well.

G-Force branded stuff is good entry level equipment. I've had 2 pairs of Piloti racing shoes, but they've moved out of the "real" racing shoe market with new ownership. I have a pair of AlpineStars SP V2 shoes at the moment, but I bought them from a trackside vendor when my last pair of Pilotis shoes fell apart in the middle of a LeMons race. They're perfectly fine, but not outstanding in any way, especially for $180.

Rta95

First Name
Rahat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I appreciate the thorough response. And yeah idk why but it keeps giving me an error when I try to upload the video. I've seen a lot of information on pads and brake fluids so will definitely do those upgrades once the stock pads are cooked. Any recommended pads/fluid that'll be an upgrade to stock but not overtly aggressive for the street? Jackie Dings handling package has the CSG pads. I figured those with the performance/street composite would be a good balance.

And I try to leverage an instructor as much as I can. I live in NJ so we have NASA hosted HPDE days at NJMP very often. I definitely plan to attend more.

I'd love to watch it, but I avoid TikTok like the plague. 🤣

Honestly, you probably should be tightening the nut behind the wheel before you start modifying the suspension. The brakes are a different story though as the stock pads and fluid are OK for the track, but they're easily overwhelmed. My first track day showed me that. Better pads and fluid are a must.

Last year I started doing track driving after a 3 year hiatus from SCCA AUTOX and high performance driving. I started as a Novice with an instructor for my first 5 events, and I can tell you that it was absolutely invaluable. Having a good instructor/coach who is a better driver than you will improve your driving skills.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're within a reasonable distance from Lime Rock Park in Connecticut I would strongly suggest a car control clinic from SCDA. I've done 2 now and it's taught me a lot about my car, how it rotates, how to safely spin out, and how to drift.

I'd like to think the thread I started several months ago has provided good information and helped people out. I followed Jackie Ding's recommendations for mild upgrades. Stage 1 maximizes the stock tires, Stage 2 prepares the car for 200 tw tires and coilovers. This has worked out very very well for me this season. Next year I'll be moving to either Ohlins or MCS coilovers.

TLDR Seat time, seat time, seat time.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I appreciate the thorough response. And yeah idk why but it keeps giving me an error when I try to upload the video. I've seen a lot of information on pads and brake fluids so will definitely do those upgrades once the stock pads are cooked. Any recommended pads/fluid that'll be an upgrade to stock but not overtly aggressive for the street? Jackie Dings handling package has the CSG pads. I figured those with the performance/street composite would be a good balance.

And I try to leverage an instructor as much as I can. I live in NJ so we have NASA hosted HPDE days at NJMP very often. I definitely plan to attend more.
I really like the Project Mu Club Racer pads with Castrol SRF. Great street maners, quiet, still have plenty of bite while cold, and are brilliant on track. They are also very reasonably priced.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/...er-brake-pads-front-toyota-supra-a90-30-2020/
Sponsored

Last edited: