Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I tried searching this thread but with 155 pages its a lot to go through. I'm a total rookie on a track, other than a couple of autocross events in a Miata.

I'm ready to book my complimentary HPDE-Intro track day, but could use some sound advice from anyone who is experienced. In my head I'm one and done, but I know me... will likely want to do more.

I'd be going to Mid-Ohio racetrack. Available dates are in April, May, and August. Is there a temperature preference for this? Any advice on prepping the car... or myself? Thanks!
as for car, do proper maintenance such as checking oil, brake fluid, tire & ETC. bring a SA 2015 or above helmet, if you don't, NASA can rent you one for free. ask them before coming to event. Also bring water.

Get a good night sleep the night before and focus on driving. Seen some student focus more on prepping car rather than driving..
Sponsored

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I'd be going to Mid-Ohio racetrack. Available dates are in April, May, and August. Is there a temperature preference for this? Any advice on prepping the car... or myself? Thanks!
The other guys already answered the other stuff so about dates, for you it probably doesn't matter. Go with whatever fits your schedule best. For guys in the high levels, they would prefer cooler weather so they can push the cars more. April will probably be in the 60s and May in the 70s. I prefer not standing around in the cold or heat so I tend to avoid the heights of summer and mid winter events.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
315 impossible to get to temp.... you have not met me. I would 100% get at least the fronts up to temp with uberfast corner entry and understeer shenanigans :D. If turn traction 2 clicks off, rears will follow. Lap times will not represent how well the tires were warmed up though.

Lets hook up for pitting near each other, I am staying at a friends at Bakersfield on Friday. Running 275 ECF on 18x11 on stock power. They are pretty stretched on those rims but feel very responsive.
I have to bring my 315s for you to try out haha.

Lucky you have a place to stay close by the track! I will be leaving my house at 430am.... We are going to have a pretty big group out there so I will let them know to save one extra spot for you.

Looks like we are in different run groups for now (im in black). I might try to transfer to your group though. You have a lot more cars in your group which may not be a good thing. My plan is to put up the best time in my group the first session so that I get to start out front for the second session. That way I can get a few clean laps in before catching up to the end of the pack. This has worked out for me in the past so we will see what happens.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I have to bring my 315s for you to try out haha.

Lucky you have a place to stay close by the track! I will be leaving my house at 430am.... We are going to have a pretty big group out there so I will let them know to save one extra spot for you.

Looks like we are in different run groups for now (im in black). I might try to transfer to your group though. You have a lot more cars in your group which may not be a good thing. My plan is to put up the best time in my group the first session so that I get to start out front for the second session. That way I can get a few clean laps in before catching up to the end of the pack. This has worked out for me in the past so we will see what happens.
Looking forward to feedback from 275's :)

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ill have some feedback after Saturday on something similar. Normally use 315s but for this event I will be on 275s. Next event I will be on 295s. I honestly think 315s are overkill. Virtually impossible to get them up to temp. The good news was I could do 20 min sessions and the tires never got greasy.
$20 says you are faster on 275s.

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Can I get another $20 if I break into the 1:59s?
I’ll pay $20 for your 1:59. Love setting a challenge for buddies.

Yeah I wanted red…but got green for some reason. It is pretty full, gonna have to get creative with passes to get a clean lap. I’ll text you when I am at the track tomorrow.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra

Yeah I wanted red…but got green for some reason. It is pretty full, gonna have to get creative with passes to get a clean lap. I’ll text you when I am at the track tomorrow.
Hey same goes for you! Get that 1:59!

Ya green is probably the most packed group! I wish you luck. At least it's open passing with better drivers. You will most likely beat me there so hang tight until I can find out where camp is at. Look for a white veloster n. Probably be the only one there.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Can I get another $20 if I break into the 1:59s?
*I* did 1'57" with a stock Supra. I could do a 1'56". You BETTER be sub 2s with all your stuffs.
Do I need to come out there and give you a hand? I promise you we will get you sub twos. 😁
I WOULD go out there for some instruction, if you don't mind.
Plus, I can bring Sophia.
Your car will do a 1'53"-1'54".

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
*I* did 1'57" with a stock Supra. I could do a 1'56". You BETTER be sub 2s with all your stuffs.
Do I need to come out there and give you a hand? I promise you we will get you sub twos. 😁
I WOULD go out there for some instruction, if you don't mind.
Plus, I can bring Sophia.
Your car will do a 1'53"-1'54".
What did U run on supra for tire size? 295? non-stock semi i mean

Last edited:

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
Instructors will be provided for the sponsored track day. Mid-Ohio just got repaved so for those instructors who used changes in asphalt surface as markers, those may be gone. In the past, the "dry line" in wet weather was like driving on ice, still fun but maybe not for your first track event if it can be avoided. Having said above

Would avoid April as some instructors will be regaining their bearings and it tends to be rainy. May would be my preferred because this will allow you to enjoy the rest of the summer. My son will probably be down in June for the 3 Day high performance course at the MidOhio School.

digatron

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, FA20 wrx

yooo hit me with the 20$ sub 1:55 😎