Sponsored

Really want to buy a Supra - asking for advice!

oceans14th

New Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
WA
Car(s)
None
Hello! My first post (and hope to be a continued member)!

I am looking to buy a used Supra but need a little general advice before going with it.

I am based in the Seattle area and after looking into a lot of discussion around driving on wet conditions, I want a final practical opinion from the daily drivers in the area. I understand that water temps tend to be below 7C in winters and with continuous rains here, its advised to get good, all season tires. I don't mind investing in good tires but my main concern is the driving itself. I would be a first time car buyer, so my question is, would it be completely safe to get a RWD as my first car especially in this state? I am not a reckless driver and I don't like speeding too, just the usual speeds on freeways, but my concern is wet tight curves on those freeways.

For the pricing perspective, the one I am looking at is at 40k before taxes 2021 Supra 2.0 driven for almost 42k miles. Please let me know if that is a good/reasonable price point so that I can go ahead if I make the decision.
Alternatively, please let me know if anyone here in the region is selling, I'd be happy to check it out and might even buy if it turns out to be a great deal for me. My budget is 40k.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

 

hb91

New Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
Seattle WA
Car(s)
2026 Stratosphere Blue GR Supra
can't comment on the price but it is totally fine to drive RWD in seattle, especially with good all season tires and TC on. should not be a deciding factor in any stretch of imagination.
 

Loco38SUP

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2021
Threads
55
Messages
2,365
Reaction score
3,426
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
That price is high for a 2.0 with that many miles but Seattle is always overpriced. Look in Oregon for a better deal. The 2.0 will do fine in Seattle weather with a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus, 295s Rear and 265 Front.

-RJM
 

SJ-Ray

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
71
Reaction score
65
Location
Germany
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 | 2018 Suzuki Swift Sport
If you had said you live in a region where it snows regular, i would have advised against getting a Supra.
But we are just talking about rain....
Get the Supra, get good tires, use your brain and don't do dumb things when it's raining / wet.
 

exe36m3

Well-Known Member
First Name
Percy
Joined
Feb 12, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
244
Reaction score
225
Location
NorCal
Car(s)
BMW
I did a track school (Laguna Seca) in an E36 M3 in the rain with the Sumitomo HTR Z tires. It is actually pretty amazing how well even low-grade performance tires can stick in the rain. I didn't go 100%, but about 80%+ on the entire track. No crashes or spin outs.

The nice thing about the 2.0 Supra, it's much much much more of a balanced car over the 3.0. *My opinion*. Enough power to push the limits, but not so much as to kill you for giving the wrong throttle input in a turn. I would have loved a Euro-spec 2.0 Supra with LSD if they offered one in the US.

The stock Michelin Pilots are a decent wet weather tire. Just set your crazy level down 20% when the weather sets in. TireRack posts wet weather performance for all the tire they sell.

As an extra layer of control, consider a toe alignment of .05 front and .10-.13 in the rear. This will keep the rear end planted.
 

mack73

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
71
Reaction score
103
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
'26 Final Edition
Live in Seattle. Your big issue is going to ice during winter and the occasional snow. If you HAVE to drive on snow days, I would say pass, simply from how low it is. If you can public transport or work form home on the random snow day, you would be fine with some nice 'all season' tires.
 

26StratMT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
89
Reaction score
127
Location
Arizona
Car(s)
26 Supra Stratosphere MT
Probably better off with a Subaru like everyone else there. 🤣
The AWD is pretty good for up there to be honest.
 
OP
OP

oceans14th

New Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
WA
Car(s)
None
Live in Seattle. Your big issue is going to ice during winter and the occasional snow. If you HAVE to drive on snow days, I would say pass, simply from how low it is. If you can public transport or work form home on the random snow day, you would be fine with some nice 'all season' tires.
What do you mean ice apart from snow? Are sleets pretty frequent in winter if its not snowing but just raining? I am perfectly fine taking public transport or working from home on snow days!
 

mmspider

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
135
Reaction score
137
Location
SE Michigan
Car(s)
2026 Supra Manual
My first Supra was a 2.0L and I also replaced the tires with all season. Made the car so much better to drive on cold days in the fall/winter here in MI. But I would never try to take it through snow. I also just replaced the stock tires on my brand new 3.0L with a all season as well. Living in the Midwest we have awful roads, rain, cold weather, and also hot weather in the summer. These stock tires are just pointless for more than half of the year.

I think a supra with a all season would be perfectly fine car for daily driving if you do not get much snow or ice. And you are ok with a small car.

However my larger problem is that I no longer feel used Supras offer good value. I bought my 2022 2.0L for about 43k in December 2021. Its not that good of a car to be still priced in the 40k range. I would look at something else personally.
 

mack73

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
71
Reaction score
103
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
'26 Final Edition
What do you mean ice apart from snow? Are sleets pretty frequent in winter if its not snowing but just raining? I am perfectly fine taking public transport or working from home on snow days!
It rains a lot in Seattle. When the roads are wet during the day but it gets below freezing overnight meaning the roads will be icy.

My first car was a rwd and I never thought about it other than no snow driving.
 

lucky phil

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Jan 23, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
1,810
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Maybe a Supra GTS 2023 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
No useful input from me as mine has never even seen a wet road since I bought it new two and a half years ago.
 

spaghettihoes

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
96
Reaction score
133
Location
California
Car(s)
2024 Supra MT 3.0 Premium, 2005 Honda S2000
There's no issue driving the car in cold/wet conditions on all seasons, just drive gently/slower if the weather is bad and avoid icy conditions (which would be a problem with FWD/AWD too). Modern traction/stability control is so good it'll prevent you from losing control unless you're driving really irresponsibly. The only real advantage of AWD in modern cars is having enough traction to get moving in a situation where you're stopped. Braking isn't helped by drivetrain type so give plenty of space and start stopping early/progressively regardless of which car you choose.

You don't really get much snow up in Seattle but if you're really worried about it, I ran Blizzak tires on the rwd 335i I used to own in the east coast through multiple blizzards/icy conditions and was completely fine.

A set of Blizzak 6 tires as your winter tires will help even if you're dealing with ice/snow although it's probably overkill. Just make sure to change back to all seasons/summer tires when it gets above 50F or you'll wear them out quickly.
Sponsored

 
 








Top