Registration fees - what state has it the worst?

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I am surprised AZ is higher than CA for the first year! I have 3 cars registered in AZ (Mohave Valley) and I think I pay something like $175 per year for all 3 combined. I really thought the Supra was going to be like that too but guess not. Did you AZ guys get to see what 5 year reg was? I cant imagine it was cheap!
Depends on if they are new or used, the year, and purchase price...

Screenshot_20220104-104847_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Karacticus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF Supra
$722 at purchase in Iowa for registration. Looks like annual renewal is $529– it stays at that level (unless there’s some kind of statutory change) until the twelfth year after manufacture.

The i8 was around $1300/yr.

SoDakMk5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
South Dakota is $90 for your registration and $8 for misc fees. I can’t remember I think custom plate is like $15 extra

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Are you all including annual property taxes as part of the registration fees? Or are these really just for registration? Because if it's just for registration, you all are really getting screwed. WV registration is $67 per year. It had been $30/year but they raised it I think last year or maybe the year before.

Our property taxes are really low as well apparently. I just paid a $985 2021 property tax bill. Not sure how much is applied to which vehicle but that was the total for our '15 Wrangler, '16 Edge, '18 Malibu, and '17 Chaparral ski boat. The Supra won't hit until next year and we also recently sold the Edge and bought a '19 F-150 that will also hit next year so this will go up but still seems quite cheap compared to what others are paying...

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you all including annual property taxes as part of the registration fees? Or are these really just for registration? Because if it's just for registration, you all are really getting screwed. WV registration is $67 per year.
Most states separate house and motor vehicle registration fees where home property taxes are based on a percentage of assessed home value...

And it's of no surprise that taxes and registration in WV are going to be dirt cheap given it's high poverty rate and having the 2nd lowest income in the nation.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Most states separate house and motor vehicle registration fees where home property taxes are based on a percentage of assessed home value...

And it's of no surprise that taxes and registration in WV are going to be dirt cheap given it's high poverty rate and having the 2nd lowest income in the nation.
Yes. I wasn’t referring to real estate taxes. Only personal property taxes. Just wondered if some posters were lumping annual property taxes in as well and considering it all to be “registration” fees.
And yes, our real estate taxes are low too. I love living here. Have all the same restaurants, stores, police and fire protection, and other services as other states but cost of living is so much lower

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I wasn’t referring to real estate taxes. Only personal property taxes. Just wondered if some posters were lumping annual property taxes in as well and considering it all to be “registration” fees.
And yes, our real estate taxes are low too. I love living here. Have all the same restaurants, stores, police and fire protection, and other services as other states but cost of living is so much lower
I prefer living in a dry, warm, and sunny year round climate, which is why I chose to retire and live here in SoAz. And it's absolutely beautiful here! Cost of living, particularly homes, cost far less than where I was living in SoCal...I also don't miss the congested freeways!

But as always, to each there own!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Have all the same restaurants, stores,
I don't wanna.. get too far off topic here, but are you suggesting you have access to the same quality of food and shopping as major metropolitian areas (NYC/LA/To a much less extent Chicago/etc)?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I don't wanna.. get too far off topic here, but are you suggesting you have access to the same quality of food and shopping as major metropolitian areas (NYC/LA/To a much less extent Chicago/etc)?
Lol. No, I’m not saying we have the same high end options that a NY/LA/Chicago does. However, I have travelled extensively for work for almost 30 years now and I can absolutely say I have very similar options in WV when comparing to similar small and mid size towns and areas in other states. We may not have a Ruth Chris steak house but we have Outback. Also have the same Hibachi Japanese restaurants, shopping malls with all the same national chains, same hotels, grocery stores, home improvement Stores, and the like. Don’t have a Sachs Fifth Avenue (spelling??) but then again how many comparable stores are there in other states outside the big Metropolitan cities? All I’m saying is WV in may areas and ways is not much different from other places. Sure, we have some extremely rural locations with a lot of poverty but you can also find similar places in other states as well.

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Greetings from Virginia and I think I win.
I bought it in August and in December I paid $604 for 2021. 5 months. Sigh.

For folks that don't know, VA charges vehicle personal property tax. You get a credit on the first vehicle and none on any additional. So the daily driver AudiQ3 got the credit and I paid 100% of the charge on the Supra. Each year, as the car's value gets closer to the credit, you get closer to not paying any personal property tax. That said, new and expensive vehicles get soaked.

Our vanity plates are notoriously cheap. $20 a year, I believe.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Greetings from Virginia and I think I win.
I bought it in August and in December I paid $604 for 2021. 5 months. Sigh.

For folks that don't know, VA charges vehicle personal property tax. You get a credit on the first vehicle and none on any additional. So the daily driver AudiQ3 got the credit and I paid 100% of the charge on the Supra. Each year, as the car's value gets closer to the credit, you get closer to not paying any personal property tax. That said, new and expensive vehicles get soaked.

Our vanity plates are notoriously cheap. $20 a year, I believe.
What's the credit again? When I start traveling the US I may just keep my car "garaged" in VA as a travel contractor. Because of the actual low registration and personal plate fees I'm considering it.

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What's the credit again? When I start traveling the US I may just keep my car "garaged" in VA as a travel contractor. Because of the actual low registration and personal plate fees I'm considering it.

Qualifying Conventional Fuel Vehicles will receive:
(hide below)
  • A 100 percent tax relief on the first $3,000 of the vehicle’s value
  • A 28 percent tax relief on the next $17,000 of the vehicle’s value, from $3,001-$20,000
  • No tax exemption for the portion of a vehicle’s assessed value over $20,000
Business vehicles do not qualify, btw.

LinkMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 A91-CF, 21 X5 4.0i
To be fair, the sector of I-5 from Tacoma to Everett and from the coast to Issaquah gets a massive surcharge.

The big killer is 10% sales tax on any car.
When we moved from Snohomish to Kitsap, I nearly cried tears of relief when I saw the difference to register our cars. Went from $700 to $70 for the Forester
Sponsored