Removing airbag

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
So me and my friend are trying to install an after market steering wheel I got, but we can’t get the damn airbag out. We’ve got the holes and everything, but every time we get one side out we can’t get the other side to go without pushing the original side back into place. After giving up, we tried taking the airbag out of my other buddies f80 and it was out in 3 minutes. Have any of you guys found any tricks when taking it out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boblay

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
I had same issue until I found out that you need to have the air bag pushed in with one hand while you insert screw driver with the other. Continue to hold the air bag in while you do the other side.
Thanks for the reply. Definitely going to try that this weekend when we go for round two. When pushing it in, does the first side ever click back in, or do you just barely push it in?

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I can't remember if it does click back in or not but def. Push in like you're honking both times... If I recall:

1. Push in like you're honking and leave it pushed in.
  2. Push with the flat heat and you'll hear a click, then you can release the air bag. This should release one side.
  3. Push in the air bag again (I think I pushed more pressure on the side where it was still locked so I wouldn't relock it on the other side)
  4. Push the flat head until you hear the click again.
  5. Now when you release the airbag it should just come out.

I just remember I had the hardest time like you did (only one side came out) until I saw a video that mentioned you needed to push the airbag and came out with ease.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'm just here to complain because the left side pops off fine but I cannot get the other side loose to save my life. I have tried the screwdriver at 1 million different angles and never get a click. The right side of the airbag just does not come loose. I finally decided to give up. I don't need the magnetic shifters that much 🤣

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I'm just here to complain because the left side pops off fine but I cannot get the other side loose to save my life. I have tried the screwdriver at 1 million different angles and never get a click. The right side of the airbag just does not come loose. I finally decided to give up. I don't need the magnetic shifters that much 🤣
It's definitely a bit tricky, if you get one side out first the other is significantly more difficult. The best way I can describe it is to try and keep the airbag as level as possible while getting the last side out. It just takes a lot of persistence

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Once I got the airbag off, I took a really good look at it. Turns out what was going on is I was hitting the plastic above the spring, and then also the blade of my flat tip screwdriver was going in between the coils of that spring.
Once I swapped to a valve stem removing tool. It was 100 times easier. It took me a good 35 minutes before I swapped out to this tool then it came right off 🤦🏼

20230219_134156.jpg

LanceW

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
I used a 3mm T Handle allen wrench. The screwdriver I tried kept slipping.

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I used a 3mm T Handle allen wrench. The screwdriver I tried kept slipping.
Yup, same here. The left side is easy because the spring you push on only has one latch to disengage, whereas the right side has to unlock two with a single input point, and my flathead kept slipping between the spring coils on that side. Very frustrating, but it eventually came off quick once I could get and hold pressure on it.

headmeat

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020 3.0
left sides been hard for me bruh, I've already been able to master how to take the right side out but that left side doesn't unlock :(

RedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red MKV Manual
Here's the thing. You have to make sure you are hitting the spring and not the airbag plastic cove. I removed another members airbag for them and I had to angle the screwdriver so that it was pointed more towards the back of the steering wheel.

Hope that helps.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
left sides been hard for me bruh, I've already been able to master how to take the right side out but that left side doesn't unlock :(
Did you try pressing the air bag so the right side is leveled with the left? If you do that, the left will pop out as easily and quickly as the right.

xplizitremix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91, 2018 FK8
I have both sides popped but the airbag is caught on something like it’s not fully coming out it’s driving me insane

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
It's probably not fully clipped out all the way. The same happened to me.

Press it back in (I know, painful), and re-push the pins. I did that and it worked for me

tvnguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I have both sides popped but the airbag is caught on something like it’s not fully coming out it’s driving me insane
Sounds like you have 1 released on each side but there are 2 clips when working the right side, 1 of those is most likely not released.
Sponsored