Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lexus IS 350
Yes it's a good thing no Supra news there either. Poor timing by Acura.
Ford dropped the GT on everyone. There was no way for anyone to predict it. Nobody had ever even spotted a prototype.

Hope Supra most of the spotlight to itself when it debuts. The concept managed to made a pretty big splash at last year's Detroit show when it debuted.
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm sure this will steal the show again, especially if they do name it Supra. I can see the headlines already 'Toyota Supra is back!' Lol

Kia had a sports concept last year in Detroit the Stinger GT4 which was RWD and supposed to rival the FRS/BRZ. No news about that car since. It is KIA but still I think just the fact TOYOTA had a new possible Supra concept was huge. Bigger than they probably expected.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
Yep what other major manufacturer could announce a flagship car like this? Every one else is either already in the game or not even playing.

As for the Ford GT there were rumors of it even though it was never spotted. I'm hoping Toyota doesn't decide to keep it 100% under wraps before it debuts. That would be mighty boring.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Ford dropped the GT on everyone. There was no way for anyone to predict it. Nobody had ever even spotted a prototype.

Hope Supra most of the spotlight to itself when it debuts. The concept managed to made a pretty big splash at last year's Detroit show when it debuted.
there were reports of a new GT for months now. even about a week before the auto show Ford dropped multiple hints about a new GT.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-ford-gt-leaked.121/

OP
OP
FRS-Man

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Yep what other major manufacturer could announce a flagship car like this? Every one else is either already in the game or not even playing.
I can think of a few manufacturers without genuine super/hypercars but which could easily make one. Mercedes and BMW come to mind.

As for the Ford GT there were rumors of it even though it was never spotted. I'm hoping Toyota doesn't decide to keep it 100% under wraps before it debuts. That would be mighty boring.
Don't think that's gonna happen thankfully. If they were going to do that they wouldn't have bothered to come out with the FT-1 concept at all. We would have just seen a Supra concept or production car drop at one of the shows unexpectedly. Plus the fact that Toyota's been mentioning the "Supra" by name (Toyoda, Tada, CALTY, etc.)

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
I'm sure this will steal the show again, especially if they do name it Supra. I can see the headlines already 'Toyota Supra is back!' Lol

Kia had a sports concept last year in Detroit the Stinger GT4 which was RWD and supposed to rival the FRS/BRZ. No news about that car since. It is KIA but still I think just the fact TOYOTA had a new possible Supra concept was huge. Bigger than they probably expected.
Oh you can bet that Toyota will steal whatever show that the Supra Concept or production model debuts. Not only would it represent the return of a legendary model, but also the Toyota brand's return to sports cars (which is something everyone was hoping would happen with the 86, but they disappointed by badging it a Scion).

Even the FT-1 concept which has been shown at every major auto show (some now repeats) for more than a year now still gets lots of attention and love.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I can think of a few manufacturers without genuine super/hypercars but which could easily make one. Mercedes and BMW come to mind.
Merc & BMW already have flagship sports models with AMG-GTS, M series, but definitely have the ability to produce something bigger.

Honda to some extent has the NSX under the Acura umbrella, but will probably never have something of their own (at least in USA). Other companies that come to mind are Mazda (always some obscure RX7 rumor, but no money), Infiniti (Eau Rouge concept, which appears to have died), Volkswagen (nothing really, but just seems like they could do it given the Phaeton and Audi models). Ford has room for a car higher than Mustang but unlikely given the GT500.

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
Merc & BMW already have flagship sports models with AMG-GTS, M series, but definitely have the ability to produce something bigger.

Honda to some extent has the NSX under the Acura umbrella, but will probably never have something of their own (at least in USA). Other companies that come to mind are Mazda (always some obscure RX7 rumor, but no money), Infiniti (Eau Rouge concept, which appears to have died), Volkswagen (nothing really, but just seems like they could do it given the Phaeton and Audi models). Ford has room for a car higher than Mustang but unlikely given the GT500.
Or Bring Thunderbird, a more refined Shelby Mustang, to Lincoln brand. :D Just a wishful thinking.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Heyyy not bad.

And to think that grille looks hideous on the rest of their lineup.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
I think there are rumors that Lincoln will build a RWD sports coupe on the new Mustang's platform. But were talking about Ford and even if Lincoln builds it that will not be a flagship car

Rod.S

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FJ
Keep in mind tho that most hypercars are built by sports car companies. BMW and Mercedes are mass producing general car companies that happen to also build some sporty cars so their whole goal is different than a sports car company.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
The halo effect of a hypercar, supercar or even a regular flagship sports car can be pretty big. Think about if Toyota never produced the Supra etc in the 80's and beyond, it would lack a lot of the street cred it has now. In some ways it is still riding off of that even though it has been out of the segment for quite some time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.