Ridiculous prices for super sports at Toyota dealership. Recommendations for alternative tire? Cup 2?

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
Went to dealership and they told me I had a nail in the passenger rear and that the tread was wearing out on drivers rear side. They told me that it would be 1168$ just to change only the rears lol... There's no way thats normal right? I was doing some research in the forums and online and found that PS4's seem like my best bet at an upgrade but they're currently out of stock everywhere for me atm. There are however cup 2's available. Is anyone running cup 2's on their car? Longevity problems? Should I just wait for ps4's? I never take it to the track and just take the supra out on weekends usually.
Sponsored

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Cup 2 are super soft. You’re going to go through that tread much much faster

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
It's about $900 shipped on Tire Rack, so $1168 mounted and balanced, disposal from the dealership isn't all that crazy after you consider the dealership is usually a higher price.

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
You could try to get Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02's. Would be closer to PS4S in terms of performance and treadwear than the Cup 2's. Dealer won't have them in stock, but might be able to get them. Also, if it isn't completely flat, you could just drive it to an independent shop and get them to replace them.

PhantomPurple

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
I recently got Michelin PS4S, front 265/35/19, rear 295/35/19 from my local Toyota dealer. They were $1869.51 mounted, balanced, and out the door.
Tire Rack price is $1864.65 without labor.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yeah, I'm showing an installed price of $1015.88 out the door for a pair of OE Pilot Super Sports at my local dealer. The PSSs are also in really short supply right now, with more expected to be available by about 7/14.

Your price isn't too far out of line for these things.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Sounds normal to me....about 500 a tire.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Look at the Yokohama Advan V601s. Supposed to be comparable to Ps4s at a lesser cost. Not the best tire for track work, but it keeps with street and spirited driving.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I wouldn’t get Cup 2’s if you drive in rain. It’s a super soft tire that will wear really quickly meaning faster replacement and it’s basically a slick for the street and is pretty unusable in the wet. Also it’s super sticky so it grabs and slings rocks like a mf’er. PS4S is a much better tire for street use if you can find it.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I wouldn’t get Cup 2’s if you drive in rain. It’s a super soft tire that will wear really quickly meaning faster replacement and it’s basically a slick for the street and is pretty unusable in the wet. Also it’s super sticky so it grabs and slings rocks like a mf’er. PS4S is a much better tire for street use if you can find it.
Totally agree. The Cup 2 would be better for a car that's occasionally tracked. For street only and assuming close to stock power PS4S would be the way I'd go.

OP
OP
Levophed

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I was able to snag two pairs of PS4s for $1600 from costco!

Stardust

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 Miata
What would be some good track tires that can you can also drive daily on?

BigRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MK5 A90
That’s really expensive, got my PS4S rears 275/35/R19 for 580€ and the front 255/35/R19 for 380.
Went to a local dealer and paid 80 bucks for the mounting and balancing.
So 1040 in total

If you buy them watch out for stuff like OE or BSW.
This are manufacturer codes like BMW or Mercedes.
I don’t know if they are better or worse I just know they are made slightly different.

You could also check out Toyo Tires, they are a lot cheaper at least where I’m living at.
Will maybe check them out next year.

NocturnalEmber

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Went to dealership and they told me I had a nail in the passenger rear and that the tread was wearing out on drivers rear side. They told me that it would be 1168$ just to change only the rears lol... There's no way thats normal right? I was doing some research in the forums and online and found that PS4's seem like my best bet at an upgrade but they're currently out of stock everywhere for me atm. There are however cup 2's available. Is anyone running cup 2's on their car? Longevity problems? Should I just wait for ps4's? I never take it to the track and just take the supra out on weekends usually.
I was unfortunate enough to pick up a nail probably less than 500 miles into my ownership, one tire was about $500~ and change, so that's about on par with what you are getting, or at least in the same area I'd imagine.

I was pretty surprised at the price being so bad. I know it's the dealer, but even looking on tirerack, they are still expensive, even for being an older tire. Your best bet if you can find a dealer that will install tires you don't buy there, or if you don't care is to probably go with the Pilot Sport 4S'.

I know someone that uses them on their car for autocross and daily driving and they are great tires. Cup 2/Cup 2 Connects are phenomenal tires, but as someone mentioned, they will wear pretty quickly because of how soft the compound is. I stayed away from them because there is a lot of standing water around here when it rains, and I didn't want to run the risk of hydroplaning.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
What would be some good track tires that can you can also drive daily on?
The softest tire you feel comfortable on that’s DOT compliant. Tons of choices in the 275/35~18 square setup. If you’re just starting to track, stick to a tire with some tread on it. That way you can hear the tire breaking away/squeal. Eventually you’ll learn how to feel her getting loose instead. Lots of options out there.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260802325669-GR-Supra-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
Sponsored