Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ

NYC_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
First I like that it exists and if nothing else to showcase new tech.

While we don’t know power and weight we can say it should have great torque via the battery power vs. the current 86, and hopefully it’s not too heavy.

Having seen every possible body kit on the 86 platform it’s hard to give us something completely different. I don’t mind the front and rear but the sides appear to be extremely bare which gives it a narrow look. Functional duct work and wider rear haunches/wheels/ tires/ would fit right in and greatly improve the look.

I have daily driven a number economy hybrids (Ford, Honda,Toyota) as a function of my job and I hate CVTs with a passion. This car should address that and the other thing I have hated about the lower cost hybrids which is the driving dynamics are 100% economy function and as such provide zero driving enjoyment. I have driven some of the Lexus hybrids too and they are not particularly fun due to the weight. This should be a different animal.

Other thoughts

- Those are the style Rays wheels from the TS 050, if produced I would imagine It might wear something better looking/more aggressive from Rays.
- The Targa top is great.
- Give it glossy paint and put the Targa on for some of the photos.
- could be a preview of the second gen 86 which will be on a different platform (and better looking) and hopefully giving both cars unique and more powerful engines (ie “Turbo / STI versions)
- I don’t think it looks anything like the TS 050 but who cares
- For those here that said they just want a faster 86 maybe you get your wish.

If you are not familiar with the TS 050 here is a bit copied from a 2016 Motor Authority article.

A major change for the TS050 compared to the TS040 is a downsized engine. While the previous car featured a naturally-aspirated 3.7-liter V-8 for the internal combustion component of its hybrid powertrain, the TS050 adopts a twin-turbocharged 2.4-liter V-6 and features an 8 megajoule (MJ) hybrid system. The move, which makes sense due to the WEC's limits on fuel use, follows the downsizing principal instigated by Porsche with its 919 Hybrid, which utilizes a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder.

As in the TS040, the engine of the TS050 is mounted at the rear and spins the rear wheels together with an electric motor sourced from Denso. A second electric motor, sourced from Aisin AW, powers the front wheels. These motors rely on energy, either drawn from the engine or recovered under braking, stored in a lithium-ion battery. This is another major contrast with the previous TS040, which stored its electrical energy in a capacitor-based system. The switch to the battery allowed Toyota to move up to the more-powerful 8MJ hybrid class of the WEC. Peak output of the TS050 is a claimed 986 horsepower. Half of that is developed by the engine alone.

Hope they move forward with it.
Sponsored

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
I don't care about the exterior which is pure concept car wackiness that would get toned way down for production. I'm mostly interested in the transmission. I actually like the idea if they could mate it to a DCT, that wasn't sequential, would allow me to select any gear I want, and skip gears in the H pattern like a "traditional" manual. Unfortunately the way the industry is going this may be the closest thing us "save the manuals" guys will get in future sports cars. I hope they continue to pursue this idea and other manufacturers follow suit. An H pattern PDK could be fun.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Revealed @ Tokyo Motor Show

I like some elements like the front end design. Maybe a hint to the Supra...

toyota-gr-hv-sports-concept_4.jpg
toyota-gr-hv-sports-concept_8.jpg
toyota-gr-hv-sports-concept_6.jpg
toyota-gr-hv-sports-concept_7.jpg

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Maybe its the 86 GRMN that's about to be released in Japan? :dunno:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
idk if this is related to the topic at hand...

Toyota 86 performance version spied with twin-piston brakes

http://drivingenthusiast.com.au/2017/10/toyota-86-performance-version-spied-twin-piston-brakes/

Toyota-86-performance-prototype-1.jpg
http://www.inautonews.com/toyota-gt-86-gets-new-aerodynamic-body-kit

That's a factory optioned car with upgraded wheels and brakes from what I'm seeing. Notice the old style front bumper.
Yeah, that's just a Nur-Spec Zenki 86 (Circa 2012) with a BBK on it. Also, the factory car comes with 2 piston sliders from the factory, not single piston lol. I'm assuming the article meant 4 piston fixed, but there have been 6 piston TRD Brembos and 4 piston Performance Pack options for years now.

Just another quality article from that particular family of "news" sites... :thumbsdown:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Got into an off-topic conversation with the team earlier and asked if a new 86 was being developed since there are all sorts of rumors around that topic, and to my surprise there are zero plans to update the car and it may be discontinued next year or the year after.

Take this as you will and things can always change (hopefully they do), but it's already at the end of the normal Toyota model cycle with no development completed on a new chassis.

Time to buy an 86 if you want one.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, apparently it has to do with low sales and dealerships not wanting the cars so.... I guess that's that.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I suppose we should be thankful that we got it at all.

But it seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy, circular blame. Japanese sportscar comes out, sells well, Japanese manufacturer fails to refresh and update car, sales taper off because car hasn't been updated since it came out, Japanese company decides not to renew/refresh car because of declining sales.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
IMO they made a terrible mistake going with that nasty flat-4. It needed at a minimum 25 more hp, it sounded horrible through most of its rev range, and its mid-range pull was crippled by a big torque dip. I was in a group buy at launch - and after a test drive I was out thanks to that engine.
Sponsored