Seized Brakes After Washing Car (MT) - sharing advice

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Hi,

I found out something today, might be futile/irrelevant for most, but I read a few people talking about this so thought I'd share - kind of a long story so if you don't like reading maybe skip this one.

Disclaimer: this applies to Manual Supras, I can't confirm if it will work with Autos because I'm not sure how the AT Park gear works in conjunction with the electronic hand brake and whether it will affect your ability to roll the car with the engine OFF.
Applicable to mostly Not daily driven Supras, and for people that tend to wash their Supra, dry it and put it away in the garage like me and leave it for a while.

You will have had the issue when you come to move off after a day or a week (the longer the worse) the car is stuck as water/superficial rust seizes on the disc so you lift the clutch and nothing happens until eventually there's a loud clunk / release which feels awful.

I have tried all the usual methods:
- Driving up and down the driveway and braking (didn't help) old neighbour gets worried too.
- Using a high pressure car drier hose to dry wheels/brakes blasting out trapped water- still same issue...

The next issue is, I only drive my Supra every 10-14 days as a special occasion, low mileage, so I'm super anal about cold starts and generally avoid any cold start like the plague if it's not going to be driven thereafter, and warmed up properly. I tested this and if you drive off it comes to temp in about 5 minutes, but if you let it sit and idle, it won't reach temps so it's pointless and only "damages" the engine.

So I used to come the garage 1 day after storing it, turn it on and move it, to get rid of the clunk.

Now however, I simply park it in the garage as normal, put it in neutral, and DON'T engage the electronic parking brake.

My suspicion was that the car would simply apply it on its own as a safety measure after a few minutes if you forgot to put it on, but it DOES NOT, which is what I wanted, though some might find this to be bad news.

Now all I have to do, this is my advice: grab any 2 spokes of a wheel firmly with your hands, and Gently rock the car back and forth, you'll be surprised how easy it is to move it. You can easily rock it back and forth a few inches, and you'll notice right at the beginning, a metallic clunk, which is the seizing of the brakes releasing from the movement, now so easily fixed, so you don't have to worry of leaving it for a while parked after washing and being "stuck".

I just use a couple of small weight plates as chocks just in case it should move (it never did and won't but to have 100% peace lf mind...)

Hope this helps anyone having the same conundrum.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sorry Supra UK, but Thank god for ChatGPT: 🤣

The author found a solution to the issue of their Supra's brakes seizing up after washing and leaving it parked for a while. They tried various methods, such as driving up and down the driveway and using a high-pressure car drier hose to dry wheels/brakes, but none worked. They also discovered that warming up the engine by letting it idle does not reach the right temperature and is harmful to the engine. The solution was to park the car in neutral without engaging the electronic parking brake. To fix the brake seizing issue, the author suggests gently rocking the car back and forth, which releases the brakes from their seizing. The author recommends using chocks for peace of mind. This solution is only applicable to Manual Supras and may not work for Autos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry Supra UK, but Thank god for ChatGPT: 🤣

The author found a solution to the issue of their Supra's brakes seizing up after washing and leaving it parked for a while. They tried various methods, such as driving up and down the driveway and using a high-pressure car drier hose to dry wheels/brakes, but none worked. They also discovered that warming up the engine by letting it idle does not reach the right temperature and is harmful to the engine. The solution was to park the car in neutral without engaging the electronic parking brake. To fix the brake seizing issue, the author suggests gently rocking the car back and forth, which releases the brakes from their seizing. The author recommends using chocks for peace of mind. This solution is only applicable to Manual Supras and may not work for Autos.
Still... your fancy AI missed this:

"kind of a long story so if you don't like reading maybe skip this one"

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Still... your fancy AI missed this:
"kind of a long story so if you don't like reading maybe skip this one"
Hey! Story is in fact short and interesting and definitely good to know. Explanation is long because you made it out to be. AI summed it up perfectly.
I should have added few words of my own:
You started out with words to disinterest people without people knowing what you were on about.
You actually explained the issue mid-post. I'm like when is he going to touch base on seizing per title. Anyhow no hating here. Just jokes and whatnot.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
This can affect any car with metallic compound brake pads and steel rotors. I thought this was common knowledge. Can even happen after driving in the rain.

I always take my cars for a short lap around the block after washing if they will be parked, being sure to apply and drag the brakes a couple times. It doesn’t take a lot.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can you leave a manual Supra in gear with no handbrake on or does it get cranky at you for trying to do so ?
Sorry I never saw this...

Yes you can.

I personally leave my MT parked with no handbrake, neutral, and 1 wheel chock, never had any issues and avoids ever having seized brakes especially after washing.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
I have never had this issue with my '21 AT. I'm a firm believer in using a parking brake and always garage my car after a handwash.
No issues with a clunk while releasing the PB.

Boataur

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91-MT CUL
I wash my car In the driveway and then pull it into the garage to finish dying it. I never set my ebrake, and I’ve had the ‘sticking’ problem a couple times if I wait a few days before driving it Again. Go figure.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Manual Supra here. Sits outside daily. I continue to do what I have done with every single manual car that I’ve been driving for the last 25 years.

parked? In gear, e-brake on.

has never done me wrong for longer than some owners have been alive.

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
An easier solution is to spray the brake disks with approx 5% solution of Bilt Hamber Atom-mac. I use this when washing the car and have no surface rust form during washing.

Soliduz

First Name
Zelda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
can I use my supra electronic parking brake safely??? or is there a special procedure asking for a friend

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
No problems here. I usually wash my car, pull it in the garage to dry it, and leave it parked for at least a day or 2 before I drive anywhere since it's not a daily.
I park it in first gear with the e-brake engaged all the time.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
can I use my supra electronic parking brake safely??? or is there a special procedure asking for a friend
not unless you're brain dead. it's a parking brake. same as we've had for 100 years. if you can't figure out a parking brake, you might be stupid.
Sponsored