Sensitive automatic braking?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
For the second time, my Supra slammed on the brakes backing out of the garage. I really do appreciate that the car is looking out for me and doesn't want me to accidentally back into something but I wasn't close to anything either time. Was centered in the door and had at least a foot clearance on both sides. Anyone else have this happen? It does catch you by surprise and the car means business - it slams on the brakes and stops RIGHT NOW!
Sponsored

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
For the second time, my Supra slammed on the brakes backing out of the garage. I really do appreciate that the car is looking out for me and doesn't want me to accidentally back into something but I wasn't close to anything either time. Was centered in the door and had at least a foot clearance on both sides. Anyone else have this happen? It does catch you by surprise and the car means business - it slams on the brakes and stops RIGHT NOW!
Yeah, it happened to me the first two times backing out of my garage, and both times it scared the crap out of me because of how hard it hit. Since then, I just deactivate it until I'm passed the garage door, and then I turn it back on.

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just deactivate it in iDrive
That would deactivate it permanently. One still wants it to work in other situations. It's only when backing up from ones garage that it needs to be temporarily turned off.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
My car does that on occasion. It might be something to do with the lighting and shadow/shade. I only drive my Supra early morning and it might be how the sun hits the garage door frame. If I back out super slow it does not seem to activate.

I don't drive the car often enough to trust my own distancing judgement from the driver's seat so for me, I just leave it on.

Armando

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
My car does that on occasion. It might be something to do with the lighting and shadow/shade. I only drive my Supra early morning and it might be how the sun hits the garage door frame. If I back out super slow it does not seem to activate.

I don't drive the car often enough to trust my own distancing judgement from the driver's seat so for me, I just leave it on.
You're absolutely right. If you back up super slow, it does not stop. You just hear all the bells and whistles going off.

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Interesting replies. Thanks everyone. Not that I try to set any speed records backing out of the garage but perhaps that's the thing. I'll just pay more attention and back out very slowly until passing the frames. As said above, I usually just hear all the bells going off as I go by. Perhaps my usual backing speed is just under the threshold and on those two occasions I was going slightly faster? Regardless, I don't want it turned off permanently nor do I want to mess with turning it off and back on every time I leave the garage.

jbretthorton

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Premium
Same issue on my 2021 3 Premium. But my problem is when backing INTO my garage the brakes autostop me sometimes....

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just to add to this: I have this issue on occasion when backing out of my driveway. There's a slope between the sidewalk and street, and unless I go down it at an angle, the car will detect the road as an object behind me and slam on the brakes. If I go straight down, I do not scrape. The grade isn't steep and my car is at stock ride height.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
My Supra started to not let me back into my upward sloped driveway because of leaves on it. The clearance is normally close but I don't have to be paranoid.

I turned off the park assist / reverse camera after the braking and it let me go.

The people waiting for me to back into my driveway while I blocked the road were not impressed. The car will let me do 150mph but don't dare touch a leaf.
Sponsored