• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE APRIL 19, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER April 19, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

So I installed android auto & apple car play on my 2.0 ltr 2021 supra

fudog82

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Thankyou to everyone in this thread. Just went the DIY route and installed it on my late 2021 3.0 premium.

Bought the following on amazon
-Roadtop MMI box
-Veepeak OBD2 Scanner

Everything went smooth except for a few challenges on my end.
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet but, It's very tough fitting everything behind the headunit.
Taking the dash apart was a piece of cake (hardest part was probably taking the speaker cover behind the screen).
I say the toughest part of all is putting back the side panel by the passenger door side on the dash.
It was very easy popping it and taking it off but putting it back the way it used to was a whole different ball game. I tried looking for guides on how to do it but I couldn't find any. I was able to put it on for now but it still kinda looks janky.
Hey I have the same unit, what software/firmware version are you on?
Sponsored

Faceliss

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Insight Touring, 2011 Honda CRZ EX
hey there, no I didn't update mine at all. It's working just fine and I've learned from the past not to fck with something that works.
20220408_214945.jpg

SupremeLeaderGD

First Name
Goldwin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
hey there, no I didn't update mine at all. It's working just fine and I've learned from the past not to fck with something that works.
20220408_214945.jpg
Is the apple carplay full screen or does it have black bars on the side? Cause I know bimmertech offers a free full screen apple carplay with their install.

Faceliss

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Insight Touring, 2011 Honda CRZ EX
Is the apple carplay full screen or does it have black bars on the side? Cause I know bimmertech offers a free full screen apple carplay with their install.
I dont know I got rid of my iphone, the stock headunit supports full screen car play, I got tired of carrying another phone around and paying for another phone line just for a smart headunit was just stupid.

PeePetty

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0 Supra
After installing a no-name MMI version of the Apple Carplay/AndoidAuto upgrade unit and running it for a month, here is how it went.

Purchased on Ali-Express. It arrived with no documentation whatsoever but the seller got back to me with a link to the manual here.

The install went relatively easy. Follow the Bimmertech video and buy a basic trim tool kit here on Amazon, you will need a Torx driver too, everything comes apart without much effort. Give yourself a 4-hour window for the entire job.

Once installed plan on spending some time with the interface to get it set right. We are an Android family and it runs AndroidAuto with my crusty Note8 and my Wifes Pixel3 pretty flawlessly. The wired version is most consistent vs. Bluetooth. Since you are usually going to have the phone mounted and charging it really is a moot point. You can run 2 apps on the head unit display. Usually Waze/Google maps and Spotify. That frees my phone for Hiway Radar and Laser Jamming app. Have not tested the CrApple Carplay.

This unit does NOT support touch screen. Menu navigation is with your counsel controls and works satisfactorily in AndroidAuto. The base menu offers an equalizer feature that works great and a Youtube application, while Youtube does work it is impossible to navigate to the search feature so you are stuck with whatever choices Youtube offers in the Vid menu. Seems like that needs to be fixed in a firmware upgrade. You also have an option to screen mirror your phone when you absolutely need to watch videos while screaming down the highway.

Speaking of the firmware. I contacted the seller about updates and they claim they will notify me when updates arrive. Additionally, there is a support thread on bimmerpost regarding all the different vendors of this device and their firmware here. I have yet to figure out the true vendor of this particular device. Certainly do not want to flash the wrong firmware and brick the unit.

For me, this was a worthwhile endeavor. My Supra is a base model with no factory GPS or CarPlay, AA isn't even an option for Supra. Gaining both AA and CarPlay under $300 and my time was worth it. Having the head unit main display running navigation is huge.

I just finished the same install. I am either not seeing my fiber cables that go into the original harness or they aren't there. Because of this, I'm not getting any audio input. I will say that I have the base model 2.0 and it IS a different head unit than the 3.0.

Also, with the Ali-Express version, there isn't a plug-and-play connection for the backup camera so it switches back to the original OS and then you have to manually switch back to the mmi. Did you end up splicing some cables for that?

If anyone else has done this for the 2.0 please let me know if I'm missing something.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra
I just finished the same install. I am either not seeing my fiber cables that go into the original harness or they aren't there. Because of this, I'm not getting any audio input. I will say that I have the base model 2.0 and it IS a different head unit than the 3.0.

Also, with the Ali-Express version, there isn't a plug-and-play connection for the backup camera so it switches back to the original OS and then you have to manually switch back to the mmi. Did you end up splicing some cables for that?

If anyone else has done this for the 2.0 please let me know if I'm missing something.
Mine did not have the fiber connection either. The audio is sent to the main head unit using the AUX option which needs to be activated using Bimmercode. Did you code your head unit to activate AUX? Once AUX is activated you must select it in the original head unit audio options.

The backup camera worked without any modifications on my installation. When I shift revers I get the camera and it goes back to MMI all by itself.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra

I have a base model 2.0 also. The following explains activating AUX

You will need to activate AUX-audio in bimmercode. Check the following link.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/coding-aux-audio-with-bimmercode.10978/

Here is the coder I used to activate AUX. It allows some other useful modifications.
OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Additionally, you will need the following app on your phone.

https://www.bimmercode.app/

PeePetty

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0 Supra
Mine did not have the fiber connection either. The audio is sent to the main head unit using the AUX option which needs to be activated using Bimmercode. Did you code your head unit to activate AUX? Once AUX is activated you must select it in the original head unit audio options.

The backup camera worked without any modifications on my installation. When I shift revers I get the camera and it goes back to MMI all by itself.
I didn't even think to change the input on the original head unit. That fixed my problem lol. I figured activating AUX was just some background toggle and didn't realize it actually activates the ability to select it. All makes sense now! Thank you, you beautiful soul

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
To anyone who comes by this thread in the future:

I just finished installing the ROAD TOP brand MMI unit for EVO SYSTEM cars.

You can use the Bimmerlink MMI Prime installation video to install this unit. It's exactly the same process. Shit, it feels like they're the same unit with a different paint job lol. This is TOTALLY PLUG AND PLAY.

No soldering. Not one single wire that doesn't go to the head unit or screen. Everything fits in the center console.

Yeah, plug and play Android Auto for 300 bucks plus trim tools and a T20 Torx.

Took about 2 hours. Hold MENU key for 3 seconds to enable Android Auto. Must code AUX support into the head unit with Bimmercode.

PXL_20220717_000713934.MP.jpg

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium

You can use the Bimmerlink MMI Prime installation video to install this unit. It's exactly the same process. Shit, it feels like they're the same unit with a different paint job lol. This is TOTALLY PLUG AND PLAY.

No soldering. Not one single wire that doesn't go to the head unit or screen. Everything fits in the center console.

Took about 2 hours. Hold MENU key for 3 seconds to enable Android Auto. Must code AUX support into the head unit with Bimmercode.

Nice! Could you keep us updated on how it goes for the following days? If it goes well, I might do it!

Patar

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Tungsten MK5 Supra (RIP), 2022 Nitro Yellow

How's the mic? Assuming its stock quality since it's just tapping into the mic?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
How's the mic? Assuming its stock quality since it's just tapping into the mic?
Yes. It utilizes all the factory hardware. There is a provision for an external microphone, though.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 2022

- Does touch screen still work? For both Android Auto and non Android Auto items?
- Does the navigation from Android Auto push to the HUD?
Sponsored