Spied: Toyota benchmarking Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997) for new Supra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstStateCamber

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 MKIV Supra, 09' 997.1TT, 15' Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 997 Turbo and that is no 997... It's def a 718 Caymen!

However if the benchmark of a 997 GT3RS in performance and handling is key then this is a good thing! I love the feel of my 997 and while its a polar opposite of my MKIV its a excellent car in its own way!
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I own a 997 Turbo and that is no 997... It's def a 718 Caymen!

However if the benchmark of a 997 GT3RS in performance and handling is key then this is a good thing! I love the feel of my 997 and while its a polar opposite of my MKIV its a excellent car in its own way!
They just announced a Cayman GTS. Will Toyota try and beat that kind of performance for a cheaper amount? Or is this Porsche trying to have a car that beats the Supra because they are realizing they might get overtaken in a year or two by this car and are going to start R&D to beat it?

Shannon Mohabir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250
They just announced a Cayman GTS. Will Toyota try and beat that kind of performance for a cheaper amount? Or is this Porsche trying to have a car that beats the Supra because they are realizing they might get overtaken in a year or two by this car and are going to start R&D to beat it?
They've already seemed to be testing a 718 Cayman GT-4

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's a Porsche so definitely not ...with options, the last generation was about 90-110k
Huh, unless Toyota gives us a Supra, and a top level Supra like the GRMN version, don't see why that would be needed unless the price is close.

A 55k Supra with a 80k, top level, already highly tuned B58 pumping 450HP without compromise on weight and handling?

This Gen's Nissan GTR

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
Huh, unless Toyota gives us a Supra, and a top level Supra like the GRMN version, don't see why that would be needed unless the price is close.

A 55k Supra with a 80k, top level, already highly tuned B58 pumping 450HP without compromise on weight and handling?

This Gen's Nissan GTR
It'll definitely be enough! Was just pondering this to also be a performance competition since they are similar and it's a model placed above the GTS model

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
I like where this convo has gone.. Some things to think about...

The 2019 Cayman GT4 is rumored to have a detuned NA GT3 motor somewhere in the ballpark of 400-425 HP revs somewhere close to 9k!. If the Supra comes out with anything to compete with that it will surely be awesome! Even more awesome is if they come in priced somewhere around or under where the GTR was priced $60-70K when it debuted.

I can deff see this as being the Gazoo Racing production version of a GT-fighter. Large fixed wing, lighter, carbon weight savings & trimmings, limited electronics, lightweight wheels and top spec tires mated together with a sweet manual gear box or choice of DCT.

The car would weigh as close to 3,000 pounds as possible and be sold in super low production numbers.

Ahh yes one could only imagine :)

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

The 2019 Cayman GT4 is rumored to have a detuned NA GT3 motor somewhere in the ballpark of 400-425 HP revs somewhere close to 9k!. If the Supra comes out with anything to compete with that it will surely be awesome! Even more awesome is if they come in priced somewhere around or under where the GTR was priced $60-70K when it debuted.

I can deff see this as being the Gazoo Racing production version of a GT-fighter. Large fixed wing, lighter, carbon weight savings & trimmings, limited electronics, lightweight wheels and top spec tires mated together with a sweet manual gear box or choice of DCT.

The car would weigh as close to 3,000 pounds as possible and be sold in super low production numbers.

If Toyota does make 450 HP, 3000 lbs car that is at 67k, it will really make the industry wake up and try something new.

Just call it, the Supra GT-1

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250

The last GT4 was in that 60-70k price range...with the endless options and dealer markups the car was easily 90-110k! But the figures the last generation and this generation seem to have seem very close to the MKV. Definitely a worthy performance competitor; however, if Porsche stays true to their last generation, a manual would be offered as no PDK was offered on the last generation GT4

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none

Perhaps this can prompt Nissan to go lighter?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.