Splash Guards

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I don’t know how thick those flaps are, but I found that Toyota part 90467-05090-B1 is a suitable replacement for the BMW push rivets, but with a slightly longer stem. It will accommodate connecting the wheel well liner to the edge of the wheel well with the extra thickness of mud flaps that are 2-3 mm thick. The standard rivets will not.

I guess I’d have to see pictures of the standard rivets to know if they are what BMW usually uses.
Sponsored

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
I don’t know how thick those flaps are, but I found that Toyota part 90467-05090-B1 is a suitable replacement for the BMW push rivets, but with a slightly longer stem. It will accommodate connecting the wheel well liner to the edge of the wheel well with the extra thickness of mud flaps that are 2-3 mm thick. The standard rivets will not.

I guess I’d have to see pictures of the standard rivets to know if they are what BMW usually uses.
thats a short one, just like the one on the car. you will need longer one.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The guards look good installed....Are those 13mm spacers the ones came with kit for the rear?
13 mm spacers is for the wheels. i have my wheels with spacers on.

for the rear splash guard you will use the provided white spacers they give you on the package.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
thats a short one, just like the one on the car. you will need longer one.
The difference is the range the push rivet can clamp -- the BMW rivets can only handle the thickness of the fender metal and plastic wheel well liner, and if you try to add a mud flap it won't work -- the rivet becomes too hard to push and you risk cracking the paint on the hole in the fender. The Toyota part # I listed is meant to clamp together a thicker range of materials and is just about perfect for adding a mud flap into the mix.

I have a bunch of these rivets and can take a picture if it helps.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The difference is the range the push rivet can clamp -- the BMW rivets can only handle the thickness of the fender metal and plastic wheel well liner, and if you try to add a mud flap it won't work -- the rivet becomes too hard to push and you risk cracking the paint on the hole in the fender. The Toyota part # I listed is meant to clamp together a thicker range of materials and is just about perfect for adding a mud flap into the mix.

I have a bunch of these rivets and can take a picture if it helps.
Yes, please post a pic of the rivet...thanks!

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OK, here is the BMW rivet shown on the left and Toyota 90467-05090-B1 on the right. The BMW rivet starts flaring out as soon as you push the pin in a bit, and really only can grip a couple mm of materials before the flare. The Toyota rivet flares out only after the pin is pushed all the way in and can clamp much thicker materials together.

IMG_3289.jpg

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, here is the BMW rivet shown on the left and Toyota 90467-05090-B1 on the right. The BMW rivet starts flaring out as soon as you push the pin in a bit, and really only can grip a couple mm of materials before the flare. The Toyota rivet flares out only after the pin is pushed all the way in and can clamp much thicker materials together.

IMG_3289.jpg
What about using this type of plastic pop rivet instead?

plastic pop rivet.jpg

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI for those who recently purchased ZL1 splash guards...

After sending them a list of concerns / suggested improvements earlier today, I just got this reply back from ZL1 and it appears as if they sent out wrong screws for both front and rear...

Luckily I didn't get around to installing mine yet...

Dear Customer,

I first off want to apologize for this inconvenience, but we want to make it right and as quickly as possible. Recently you purchased our Toyota Supra Rock Guards. A few mistakes were made in the process of prepping and mailing these products out that we certainly want to resolve.

First off, the front rock guard replacement screws that are in the package you received are incorrect and are larger than what we originally designed. The second issue is the rear rock guards got shipped with silver replacement screws and not black screws as designed. This is 100% our mistake and we want to make it right.

We want to request you hold off on your product install, and we will be shipping out replacement hardware first thing in the morning for your order. We again apologize for this inconvenience, and we look forward to making this right.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What about using this type of plastic pop rivet instead?

plastic pop rivet.jpg
I don't think those are easy to "reverse" so I might be wary of using that type. I'd want to make sure I could easily remove the rivets and mud flaps if desired.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think those are easy to "reverse" so I might be wary of using that type. I'd want to make sure I could easily remove the rivets and mud flaps if desired.
They are actually quite easy to remove...you just have to replace them with a new plastic pop rivet which are fairly inexpensive...

Last edited:

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Geez, those videos are painful to watch -- I have a pneumatic rivet tool, but you can buy a hand operated tool for $10-15. Sometimes I don't get those shortcut videos on youtube.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Ha! I agree...

But the point being though that those rivets are just as easy to remove and replace...

That said, I may give the plastic pop rivets a try and let you guys know how it works out when installing the splash guards...

Last edited:

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay everyone to create less confusion..here is the right size of rivets if you want to use the ones from autozones..

I put them on the car. Perfect fit

20200109_205104.jpg

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay everyone to create less confusion..here is the right size of rivets if you want to use the ones from autozones..

I put them on the car. Perfect fit

20200109_205104.jpg

thx for posting..glad to hear they worked!
Sponsored