Stock top speed without vmax?

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I've been looking around but can't seem to get a good answer for this.

The limiter is set to 250kmh (155mph) for a stock engine.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what a fully stock motor is capable of in the Supra without the speed limiter?

Also what happens if you hit higher speeds? Would the engine just blow up eventually if you keep pushing the pedal without the vmax limiter?
Bimmercode has the option to disable vmax and since I live near the German autobahn I had some "what if's" :p
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what a fully stock motor is capable of in the Supra without the speed limiter?

Also what happens if you hit higher speeds? Would the engine just blow up eventually if you keep pushing the pedal without the vmax limiter?
Bimmercode has the option to disable vmax and since I live near the German autobahn I had some "what if's" :p
Don't do it. Body panels started separating at 156 MPH on the pre-production test cars.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
The engine will not blow up, sooner or later you will hit the rev limiter and that will limit your top speed. I'm not sure what the revs are at 250 in eight gear (didn't get to try it while in Germany this summer) but if bmw has done their job correctly, and they usually do, the then the revs should be somewhat close to limit at 250

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Iā€™ve taken mine to 160. (Speedometer, so actual was a bit less). At that time I had a wing, coil overs, front and rear power braces, front and rear sways, and it started getting floaty and unstable.

I personally wouldnā€™t push it above 160 without a front lip and a rear diffuser in addition. And then Iā€™d still be wary.

Reactions: B54

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
The engine will not blow up, sooner or later you will hit the rev limiter and that will limit your top speed. I'm not sure what the revs are at 250 in eight gear (didn't get to try it while in Germany this summer) but if bmw has done their job correctly, and they usually do, the then the revs should be somewhat close to limit at 250
This isn't correct at all. Gear ratios are constant, which means if it was at 7k RPM at 250 kph in 8th then it would be at 2.8k RPM at 100 kph, which is very far off (that might be the ratio for 6th, definitely not 8th). The Supra is almost certainly drag-limited above 250 kph (I'm not sure at what speed though) rather than gear-limited.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
IDK abt stock but a buddy of mine in his 340 with stage 2 e40 did 192 on video, so gearing was not an issue, 179 for me, but stage 2 as well, but I would doubt this is a 175-180mph car at least stock with enough space, stock I ran into the limiter plenty of times and it def had more in it, stock limiter in u.s is 163 for all the supra's even tho it says 155.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I thought this was a sarcastic post..

Your engine will not blow up. :rolleyes:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
FWIW, the stock tires are rated to 186mph, if I'm not mistaken.

I might check out the transmission tuning in Forza Horizon 5 to see what the math there suggests. Stock tuning usually feels fairly close to the real car. I think Forza Horizon 4 suggested the BMW Z4 could do about 183 without a limiter, but I don't remember the ratios there.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
This isn't correct at all. Gear ratios are constant, which means if it was at 7k RPM at 250 kph in 8th then it would be at 2.8k RPM at 100 kph, which is very far off (that might be the ratio for 6th, definitely not 8th). The Supra is almost certainly drag-limited above 250 kph (I'm not sure at what speed though) rather than gear-limited.
My point was that speed has nothing to do with the engine blowing up, but you are probably right about the drag coming into effect before the rev limit

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero

I can say with certainty that I hit 150mph once on my stock tune and the car had room to go, a decent bit of room actually. Now with my stage 2 tune, the car seems to hit 150 like it used to hit 120 lol.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Iā€™ve taken mine to 160. (Speedometer, so actual was a bit less). At that time I had a wing, coil overs, front and rear power braces, front and rear sways, and it started getting floaty and unstable.

I personally wouldnā€™t push it above 160 without a front lip and a rear diffuser in addition. And then Iā€™d still be wary.
Highest I've gone is right at 160 on my stage 2 tune. My car doesn't have any aftermarket aero but it felt very planted to me.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Also, I've got 160 in 6th near redline with no functional aero. Arrow straight, well maintained roads are the key here. It feels like there's about 20-25 mph more left to give.

OP
OP
B54

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Thanks all for the (insightful) responses, but I see mostly stuff about engines with tune and/or stock engines with limiter enabled.

Has no one disabled the limiter and did a max speed run on a fully stock engine? ?

I do understand it is hard to do safely and legally, but I was hoping some information was available on it...
Sponsored