Supra 2021 downshift guide

dragonhunter241

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
This is what I’ve found by really testing the car and driving it hard. Hopefully this can make your driving experience more fun. I own a 2021 so I’m not sure if it’ll be the same for a 2020. Use paddle shifters in manual mode for this to work best. To try to get the most pops downshift at the following RPMs from X gear to X gear:

5-4 at 5000 rpm
4-3 at 5000 rpm Once in third gear gently tap the gas tapping it to get more pops
3-2 a sliver past 4000 rpm
2-1 at 3000 rpm

Forgive me if this is something most people already know or someone already posted something like this lol.
Sponsored

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
the little kid in me wishes that my A91 popped as much as a 2020, however i did notice that at the RPMs you listed are the best for nice pops

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I have a thread on this topic. My 2021 doesn't pop at all. Well maybe occasionally I'll get one.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Our 2021 makes lots of pops and crackles, even a minute or two after a cold start. When the exhaust gets really hot it lets out some wicked loud bangs. I was concerned when I read that they’ve toned the pops down for 2021, but it hasn’t been my experience at all.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Our 2021 makes lots of pops and crackles, even a minute or two after a cold start. When the exhaust gets really hot it lets out some wicked loud bangs. I was concerned when I read that they’ve toned the pops down for 2021, but it hasn’t been my experience at all.
That hasnt been my experience. Even in Sport mode, cold starts have zero pops. It will only pop once its warmed up and i've noticed that if i rev it out it seems to pop less, i have to be in like 2nd gear and rev it to around 5k for a few pops. My M2 Competition popped WAY more.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
That hasnt been my experience. Even in Sport mode, cold starts have zero pops. It will only pop once its warmed up and i've noticed that if i rev it out it seems to pop less, i have to be in like 2nd gear and rev it to around 5k for a few pops. My M2 Competition popped WAY more.
That’s so strange. Mine doesn’t pop immediately on cold starts in sport mode, but will reliably begin popping by the time I get to the stop sign 2 blocks a way.

I’m pretty sure I read and watched every review of the car before purchasing, and a couple of reviewers mentioned that the 2021 popped _more_. I found this odd since 80% of the reviews seemed to say it was tamed down vs 2020. ?‍♀

Last edited:

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That’s so strange. Mine doesn’t pop immediately on cold starts in sport mode, but will reliably being popping by the time I get to the stop sign 2 blocks a way.

I’m pretty sure I read and watched every review of the car before purchasing, and a couple of reviewers mentioned that the 2021 popped _more_. I found this odd since 80% of the reviews seemed to say it was tamed down vs 2020. ?‍♀
I'm wondring if some of the pops are fake and what you hear in the cabin is the ADS and not actually the car popping. I turned off the ADS pretty much as soon as i got the car, and for me it also made the exhaust super quiet. I'm hoping that once i get a new exhaust the pops will be more frequent and i'll hear it more. As of right now i can barely hear the car unless i open the window.

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It works and my 2021 pops like crazy and it’s 100% bone stock. You should try before you judge.
Nothing makes it pop and crackle. Half the time the valve doesn't open when I switch to sport mode. The valve pretty much never opens on a cold start.

RayRay69

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Mk5 Legend W204C200K
Valve only open when the engine is getting a little warm. Love the pops, and all is stock... Germany Eu shit😂

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you leave the downshift paddle pressed when slowing down, it´ll automatically downshift near those RPMs for you

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
This is basically a guide telling me when NOT to downshift. I like it!
Sponsored