Buyers/New owners guide

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, Mercedes GLC
Is there one of these already? If not, would anybody be up for contributing to one and making it a sticky?

I should be getting my Supra in about 8 weeks from now and I’ve learned a lot from reading through the threads here. The only problem is I think I’ve forgotten a lot of the hints and tips I’ve been reading since December!!

I’m going to pick it up and be trying to remember all the really good advice.
E.g. all the stuff to make sure gets done on the PDI, shipping spacers, something with the nav, making sure you say if you don’t want holes drilled in your bumper.

I was also thinking “what was all that stuff people said to code in with BimmerCode again?”

Maybe there’s already a thread all about that? Maybe we could link it here?

Happy to repurpose this post into something if people think it’s a good idea?
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Don’t get offended when someone asks “is that a Supra?!”

Be offended if they ask you if you like cheese burgers.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I'd be happy to contribute. This community sorely needs an FAQ and an "ideal build path" guide.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Warren803

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Here's some of the things off the top of my head.

- Double check they removed the shipping spacers
- No drilling of front license plate holes
- Ask them not to add the stupid dealer stickers some dealerships add to the back of the cars
- Ask for all the license plate holder screws. They attached my temporary license plate with only 2 screws and I didn't realize this until I got my permanent plate. I had to go ask for more screws but they were clueless about it and basically told me sorry, don't know how to order them. I had to go to BMW and order them myself. I'm guessing the screws were in the PDI kit and they probably just threw the other 2 screws away.
- When I signed the paperwork, there was one page I had to sign that said I accept the car as is and did a walk around. I hadn't done that yet, but the salesman was like no worries, just sign it now and we'll do a walk around afterwards. I reluctantly signed not wanting to be difficult. When I went for a walkaround afterwards, there was a rock chip on the bumper. Salesman was like, that's no big deal. Our touch up paint guy can fix that easily. I was skeptical, but I had no choice or say in the matter. I already signed all the paperwork. Lo and behold, the touch up paint guy came back and said no, I can't fix that. I don't want to be responsible for messing it up. Almost like we were talking about a Ferrari or something. It's a Supra. I'm sure there are Tundra's and Land Cruisers on the lot more expensive than this. So then I had to talk to their body shop manager and he said the only way to fix it was to repaint the whole bumper. It was a small rock chip and I was very hesitant to repaint the whole freaking bumper on a brand new car. If you've ever dealt with body shops and repairs, you know it never comes back as good as it was from the factory. I even asked the body shop manager, if he personally would recommend repainting the whole thing just to fix this little chip. He said if it was him personally, he would not. I convinced them to give me $500 credit for carbon fiber mirror caps, cuz that's how much it would have cost them to repaint the bumper anyways. So long story short, do the walk around before you sign. Don't let the pushy salesman convince you otherwise. I saw another brand new Supra on the lot that had a massive gash in the bumper that would not be repairable other than a repaint. I would have been pissed if that was my car and the salesman had made me sign the paperwork before the walk around.
- Check to see that your rear deck cover is correctly clipped in. I thought it was just normal rattles in the car. I drove around for like a month dealing with it rattling until I realized someone didn't clip it in correctly.
- Check that the emergency trunk release pull tab is clipped in correctly. Thought it was normally supposed to be just hanging down until one day it jammed my trunk when I tried to close it. Then I realized its supposed to be clicked into a holding spot. No idea who had removed it and not set it back.
- A week or two before you get your Supra, go ahead and order the ZL1 rock guards. This car kicks up rocks like crazy and will quickly damage the paint near the wheel wells.
- If you want to order a screen protector for your touch screen, do that before you get your car also.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra