Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium “Turbulence Gray”
$64K for a new Toyota Limp-Mode

I know there’s another thread about GR Supra stalling problems on here. I’ve posted there. If you’re also having this problem read on,

As I was searching online for more answers to WHY my new Supra is “Stalling, Losing Power” and almost getting me sideswiped twice a week as I pullout into traffic issues. This problem is getting OLD for a NEW car!
I stumbled across this article from MotorBiscuit website. The article is called:
“4 of the Most Common 2020-21 GR Toyota Supra Problems”

Copied from Problem No.2
  1. The 2021 Supra has a slightly different engine than the 2020 models. For starters, it makes 47 more horsepower, but that increase comes with a slight caveat. The pistons were changed out and the cylinder head was revised for that extra power, however, there are some Supra owners complaining about excessive oil consumption. Those who experienced this issue have said that the piston rings are to blame for the issue and said that the car would go into “Limp Mode” when driving. As far as a remedy, in some cases, Toyota is actually replacing engines or buying back cars. Hopefully, that won’t be the case if you buy a Supra, but if anything, keep an eye on the car’s oil level if you buy one.

I just spent $64K for a new Toyota Limp-Mode.

I’ll paste the link here. Hopefully it doesn’t get blocked.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/4-most-common-2020-21-gr-toyota-supra-problems/

Out of all the bullshit whining and complaining comments I’ve had to read online from other people who don’t even own this car it used to pissed me off. What do they know? This car is awesome. BUT going from sensor issues or maybe software update problem to now maybe needing a New Engine….? One Day….?

You know what? I’d probably settle having to put in a new engine one day if they only didn’t put that damn brace in behind the seats!!

It’s not about the money. I just don’t want those commenting to say:
HaHa…😂 I told you guys!!
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Needing a new engine doesn’t bother you but the brace does?
As with pretty much every car ever made a small number have issues. They usually get taken care of under warranty but sometimes it can’t be figured out and the car gets bought back. This isn’t a Supra thing. It’s true for most cars. If your car really goes into limp mode or similar twice a week and your dealer can’t fix it you should have initiated a buy back by now.
It sucks for the unlucky ones but that’s reality for most cars. The 99% of us with no problems don’t complain on internet message boards. Only the unlucky 1% do. It’s the nature of any car forum. Makes it look like issues are much more widespread than they truly are.
I had an issue similar to yours back in 2009 with a new Ford Edge. It would randomly go into what felt like a sort of limp mode. Hesitated and had no power. Wouldn’t accelerate from a stop. After multiple dealer attempts to diagnose it that included a new ECU at FoMoCo’s direction they finally found a hair line crack in the vehicle speed sensor. Replaced that little $2 part and it was flawless for another 100000 plus miles.
Sometimes things like this happen. If they can’t fix it, initiate a buy back.

OP
OP
Hywired

Hywired

First Name
Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
Needing a new engine doesn’t bother you but the brace does?
As with pretty much every car ever made a small number have issues. They usually get taken care of under warranty but sometimes it can’t be figured out and the car gets bought back. This isn’t a Supra thing. It’s true for most cars. If your car really goes into limp mode or similar twice a week and your dealer can’t fix it you should have initiated a buy back by now.
It sucks for the unlucky ones but that’s reality for most cars. The 99% of us with no problems don’t complain on internet message boards. Only the unlucky 1% do. It’s the nature of any car forum. Makes it look like issues are much more widespread than they truly are.
I had an issue similar to yours back in 2009 with a new Ford Edge. It would randomly go into what felt like a sort of limp mode. Hesitated and had no power. Wouldn’t accelerate from a stop. After multiple dealer attempts to diagnose it that included a new ECU at FoMoCo’s direction they finally found a hair line crack in the vehicle speed sensor. Replaced that little $2 part and it was flawless for another 100000 plus miles.
Sometimes things like this happen. If they can’t fix it, initiate a buy back.
The real “Throttle Hesitation Thread”
on this forum is under this link:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.8938/

“Throttle Hesitation”

It’s only about 21 pages so far but it is growing and it is an issue for us that have it. It could be a $2 fix or it could be a new engine 2 years from now.

I was just blowing off steam here because I just came across that article about Toyota buying back the cars and or needing new engines replaced because the Supra is going limp at odd times.

A9DA4343-4B61-4536-93C0-A5E0875E6366.jpeg
B4B05722-53CB-41BA-977A-F2A4D5834AB7.jpeg
The main reason we’re all trying to help each other figure this out is because when we pull out into traffic and our car’s suddenly loses power we can get into very serious car accidents.

I love my Supra. I’m pretty sure we all do, But for those who don’t have this issue it’s just not real for you guys.

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
The real “Throttle Hesitation Thread”
on this forum is under this link:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.8938/

“Throttle Hesitation”

It’s only about 21 pages so far but it is growing and it is an issue for us that have it. It could be a $2 fix or it could be a new engine 2 years from now.

I was just blowing off steam here because I just came across that article about Toyota buying back the cars and or needing new engines replaced because the Supra is going limp at odd times.

A9DA4343-4B61-4536-93C0-A5E0875E6366.jpeg
B4B05722-53CB-41BA-977A-F2A4D5834AB7.jpeg
The main reason we’re all trying to help each other figure this out is because when we pull out into traffic and our car’s suddenly loses power we can get into very serious car accidents.

I love my Supra. I’m pretty sure we all do, But for those who don’t have this issue it’s just not real for you guys.
That will buff out

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think this is the first time buying a car where I was glad I got the first model year release..? :dunno:

Usually we're the guinea fat pigs. :crazy:

OP
OP
Hywired

Hywired

First Name
Vago
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
$64k? Why was it so expensive?

Have a 21 and have not heard of the limp mode?
I can’t believe you got Black Flagged at your track!!!
Nice Vids 👍

I got my Supra 2 months ago. The Toyota salesman sent out 1 video of the car just being dropped off at the dealership to 10 of our phones that were asking for a Supra. He said the fist guy here with 64K gets it. I was first. Thank God I was done with the paperwork because the guy behind me was pissed off and willing to pay 79K

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Throttle hesitation and limp mode are two different things. And I believe (could very well be wrong though) that what many people are calling hesitation and complaining about happens in normal mode and is working as intended. In normal mode the trans is programmed to stay in a higher gear longer for fuel economy and comfort reasons. Happens in my car too but I don’t consider it a malfunction. It’s simply that you have to press the gas pedal further in comfort mode before the kick down point is reached. The time it takes to progressively press the pedal further and further until kick down is reached as well as the immediacy of the kick down which is not as quick in normal mode as it is in sport or sport plus is long enough to feel like the car is hesitating. Just my observation…

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I can’t believe you got Black Flagged at your track!!!
Nice Vids 👍

I got my Supra 2 months ago. The Toyota salesman sent out 1 video of the car just being dropped off at the dealership to 10 of our phones that were asking for a Supra. He said the fist guy here with 64K gets it. I was first. Thank God I was done with the paperwork because the guy behind me was pissed off and willing to pay 79K

Bring that pretty ceramic coated Supra out to the track and cut loose! Guarantee it won't hesitate at 6k rpm ;)

Good luck with the issue. I have stayed out of that other thread- have not encountered it- or have any friends that have had it.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I don't understand this thread.

I don't think he means limp mode- which confused me as well.
He cited another long thread on throttle hesitation. So, I believe the OP is experiencing some sort of throttle hesitation when he pulls out from parking.

Although a long thread exists, I am not aware of the issue. I Have never experienced and none of my Supra friends have experienced.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I don't think he means limp mode- which confused me as well.
He cited another long thread on throttle hesitation. So, I believe the OP is experiencing some sort of throttle hesitation when he pulls out from parking.

Although a long thread exists, I am not aware of the issue. I Have never experienced and none of my Supra friends have experienced.
Yeah. Limp mode is to throttle hesitation as ham is to hamster.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Haven't experienced "limp mode" or throttle hesitation in my '21. I've read about the potential oil consumption issues. I'm at almost 7k miles with no oil warnings...

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Are we talking about limp-mode, throttle hesitation, or oil consumption here? These are three completely different things that aren't related to each other in any way that I'm aware of. Throttle hesitation is not limp-mode, if your car is going into limp-mode it will have a CEL associated with it, and the code should tell you what is going on. Neither of those are related to oil consumption, and I don't see why an engine replacement would fix a throttle hesitation problem as I believe that's more of a sensor/ECU problem, not anything mechanically wrong with the engine itself.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
This is as confusing as turtles to tortoise.. one of them can’t swim.. :dunno:
Sponsored