Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
" if there weren't enough people buying autos... "

Do you guys think Toyota actually makes money of the Supra or even breaks even even considering its deal with BMW? When I ask this.. think about the numbers of Tacos and Priuses.

I've always assumed these are halo cars. Market the car, put it on the show room, make everyone think Toyota is cool. Then sell 'em a 86. Basically we've bought the $50k inflatable dancing thing (big one's the 3.0 if you couldn't guess)

Point being... it's not the number of Supra sold.. it's the number of sales overall that justify the value of the halo car.
Sponsored

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
I'm a guy who's owned an automatic brz and now auto supra, and I wouldn't by a manual in either (unless technically the brz was a total shitbox only motorsports vehicle). But AT owners trying to claim they're hot shit /only/ at the drag strip is pretty fucking stupid. I'm sure an MT is more engaging, and MT would struggle more off the line, but whatever. I'm in the boat of "no adaptive cruise = trash car" because unlike most of my MT diehard friends, I daily my sports car instead of putting the sports car in the garage and having a daily tow vehicle / practical vehicle.

I'd certainly wonder how many MT Supra (and maybe 400z) who actually daily that car, but still do performance driving like track where shift speed isn't as important. I imagine its the vast minority

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I'm a guy who's owned an automatic brz and now auto supra, and I wouldn't by a manual in either (unless technically the brz was a total shitbox only motorsports vehicle).
With respect, I've driven an 86 with an automatic transmission and it put me to sleep. I honestly can't imagine why you would want an auto - ever - let alone in a low powered car like one of the twins. And yes, even the Miata was boring as shit.

I'm in the boat of "no adaptive cruise = trash car" because unlike most of my MT diehard friends, I daily my sports car instead of putting the sports car in the garage and having a daily tow vehicle / practical vehicle.
Wait.. what? I have always daily driven a manual and not once did I start crying about traffic or not being able to daily drive it. Sorry but that's a load of horse shit. The advantage of daily driving a manual is that you get to.. daily drive a manual. No driver who genuinely enjoys driving a manual is going to make out that it is a chore. In fact, even stop start traffic is a non-issue because once you are a manual driver and have formed the muscle memory, the process becomes almost automatic when pottering around - Manual drivers aren't always giving it the beans you know! We enjoy the shifts even when we're not driving the tits off it.

And as for claiming a sports car is trash because it doesn't have adaptive cruise control.. well that's pretty much indefensible, really.

I bUy A sPoRtScAr To LeT tHe CaR ShIFt aLL bY itSeLF.. AnD gIvE iTsElf GaS.

Sorry but.. are you serious? That should be a meme in itself!

I'd certainly wonder how many MT Supra (and maybe 400z) who actually daily that car, but still do performance driving like track where shift speed isn't as important. I imagine its the vast minority
I have never tracked a car and care zero for it. I buy a car to get me from A to B with a smile on my face. If an automatic does that for you, power to you.. but please don't use all these lame excuses - aDaPtiVe CrUiSe CoNtrOL - to pretend its somehow the better choice for any type of vehicle.. let alone a sports car!

Other than perhaps pure unadulterated straight line speed, I see no good reason to purchase the MY23+ Supra in its automatic guise.

Last edited: