Supra vs Jaguar F Type

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Having driven V6S I think its a really good sports car and bit underrated. Tbh I liked it more than BMW M2. Very nice steering, pretty neutral in handling and the noise...one of the best stock exhaust noises I ever heared. Its THAT good. Yes its not as sharp as Cayman but it doesnt feel as big as 911 either. Its a balance between those two. And its simply beautiful. Blue with yellow calipers... Da dream.
Manual V6s would be a great buy for me. But I think Supra will be superior in every way: dynamics, handling, balance, driving position. More "focused" sports car. My only fear for the Supra is steering. I hope its not carried over from M2 as that one is half-dead...
I think it has Electric Steering
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I think it has Electric Steering
Ye I know. But steering in 86 is magnificient, its almost Porsche mechanical level, while in M2 its half-dead, fake feel. Was super disappointed by it. So I hope Tada tweaked properly it in Supra somehow.

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
If money is similar, F-Type every day, and twice on Sunday. Sorry Supra, but the F-Type is gorgeous in design, properly luxurious, the supercharged V6 sounds beautiful, and in higher state of tune makes a meatier 280kw to the Supra's 250kw (giving the Supra the full B58 Z4 tune instead of the gimped one would help fix that). Supra may edge it in the handling department, but that's about it.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
If money is similar, F-Type every day, and twice on Sunday. Sorry Supra, but the F-Type is gorgeous in design, properly luxurious, the supercharged V6 sounds beautiful, and in higher state of tune makes a meatier 280kw to the Supra's 250kw
Coughs 285KW without the filter!

Mazdryk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FF GTM
i have a chance to buy a 2017 Jaguar F type R with 6k miles and in excellent condition for $55k. I really like the Supra and i need some opinions from people that have driven both. Which car should I buy? My main purpose is for the track (Thunderhill).

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
i have a chance to buy a 2017 Jaguar F type R with 6k miles and in excellent condition for $55k. I really like the Supra and i need some opinions from people that have driven both. Which car should I buy? My main purpose is for the track (Thunderhill).
I have some experience with an earlier F-Type R. I have to say it was a very exciting car, very pretty, extremely loud. However, I doubt the long term reliability is great.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I would've thought the Type R (V8) may have been the better comparison to the Supra, no?

Red-hat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86, 370Z
F Type is a gorgeous looking car (better looking than Supra IMO), but it is not a true sports car, it is more of a luxury GT (grand touring) coupe. It's heavier and not really as quick as a result because of power-to-weight vs the Supra. The Supra would be the more logical track car IMO. As a daily, I think the F Type would have it though - more exclusive, more luxurious, better looking.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
This was my '14 V6S. I had a pulley and tune on it, so it was a bit faster than stock. It sounded better than the Supra with the dynamic exhaust, and was an awesome highway car. It was also gorgeous.

Was it as nimble and raw as the Supra? Nope. The Supra handles better, and is more engaging on a twisty back road. It also has much more urgency when accelerated in anger.

I like the Supra more, especially when it comes to modifications and also maintenance. A local dealership had quoted $11K for doing the brakes... and the mechanical direct injection fuel pump was just starting to make noise as I approached the end of the extended warranty. So I loved it, but I was happy to get out of it.

jag-1.jpg

Attachments

Nick Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2016 Tacoma Limited, 1998 Hemi TJ by AEV
It's a Jag...resale value is terrible.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I loved mine, Granted it was terribly unreliable, over 80k of warranty work in 2 years, and the CPO had just kicked in wasn't nearly as good as the factory warranty, mine was an AWD S convertible, that was specced to 100k, I was the second owner who paid 55k, and then sold it for 35k 2 years later, I lost a lot of money on depreciation. The positives were, the sound, oh my god the sound, it was one of the best sounding stock cars money could buy, It was super fun to cruise with the top down, it was fairly comfy, and the best part- the looks, it is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen under 250k. But the supra is faster, sharper, handles better, way more aftermarket support, and Hopefully (knock on wood) way more reliable. Plus a lot better tech and infotainment. Granted, I still miss the jag from time to time and will probably own another one, one day, when money isn't an issue.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.42.29 AM.png

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I had a 2015 Type R. I've got to say I thoroughly enjoyed that car. The depreciation on it was gnarly though. The stock exhaust note is amazing. It's better than the majority of after market exhausts that I've heard from other V8s. It was just the right amount of annoying with a deep throaty sound. The drivability was great, but the car felt heavy. I'd say the Supra is the better sports car out of the two, but the F-Type to me just had more soul. You can tell a lot of love went into making the F-Type.

The downside to the car was the tech. I never had any reliability issues with the car. It looked great. I always loved seeing the hood go up. The materials were pretty decent aside from a few plastic pieces. I'm sure you can get 2015s and 2016s with low mileage below $45K easily.

Another negative about the car is that it does not have much after market support. But that all could change soon since it's becoming more and more affordable.

But yeah... that sound... I'm going to miss it.
Sponsored