SupraMKV Interview with Tada-San on 2021 GR Supra

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
So what made you want a Supra not a Porsche? You looked at the C8 too? You got a gti now right? For me, I always been a huge fan of the Supra back in mid 90’s. I am a huge Import Guy coming from Hondas. Got into Yotas a few years ago with the overland crowd. Loved the Supra when I was a kid. I always loved that big Supra spoiler.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I have a GTI, an STI, an RX-8, and a Honda Odyssey (for my Great Danes lol)
I didn't look at the C8, because I'm not a big Chevy fan. I did look at a Cayman because who wouldn't. They're fantastic, but like I said, if you want anything in it, it's a lot more $. And you still have that 4 cylinder behind you. I've obviously always liked the Supra too being a car enthusiast. And the Refraction Blue is just stunning.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I didn't look at the C8, because I'm not a big Chevy fan. I did look at a Cayman because who wouldn't. They're fantastic, but like I said, if you want anything in it, it's a lot more $. And you still have that 4 cylinder behind you. I've obviously always liked the Supra too being a car enthusiast. And the Refraction Blue is just stunning.
I hope you take those hideous vinyl stripes off the quarter panel when you get it. That’s the only thing that looks bad on the car. Can’t wait for you to get it!
I want a grey 2.0 to replace my grey Acura. Hope it won’t be too too much. Hoping it’s in in low $40’s. Hoping the sales of the 2.0 will suck and I can get it in the 30’s. Lol

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope you take those hideous vinyl stripes off the quarter panel when you get it. That’s the only thing that looks bad on the car. Can’t wait for you to get it!
I want a grey 2.0 to replace my grey Acura. Hope it won’t be too too much. Hoping it’s in in low $40’s. Hoping the sales of the 2.0 will suck and I can get it in the 30’s. Lol
I have to see what they look like in person. I don't mind them. If/when I do, I have a heat gun ready and waiting ;)

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Awsome interview!

Possible question for next time: Will there be an update of the interior which is a similar design to the Z4 M40i that's more "Supra like" which wraps around the driver and looks more like the traditional driver oriented 'fighter pilot cockpit' styling?

Shame to hear the new 86 might be a disappointment
I have owned an immaculate A80 for a while now - and I daily (as well as track, occasionally) the car.

I also have an A90

In pictures - the A80 looks far more driver focused.

In reality, when you drive them both back to back- one feels far more driver-focused, and it ain't the A80.

True story.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I have to see what they look like in person. I don't mind them. If/when I do, I have a heat gun ready and waiting ;)
or you can ask them to not apply the vinyl stripes when the car gets to the Toyota port? Lol

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
or you can ask them to not apply the vinyl stripes when the car gets to the Toyota port? Lol
Guessing you're kidding but in case you're not...the buyer doesn't have ownership or say about anything on the car unless it's an option on the order sheet.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
It really is a great color... if I hadn't wanted something really bright this time around I'd probably be really bitter about that coming out later. ;)

yeah, basically what I took away is, we told you there would be a power bump, and it’s not too soon during the first year. And we need to try to compete with the Porsche?? And that we are behind. No kidding. I hate to tell you this Tada Shan, you ain’t catching the Porsche anytime soon in this car. Lol

Which I am confused bc I didn’t know this car was even in the same market as a Porsche?
I had a Cayman (base) and really liked it in many ways, but it was way too "stripped" so it was a very short lived relationship - which ended in my getting a RC-F instead. I was going back and forth again on the Cayman S/GTS when the MKV's started rolling out. When it came down to it, the Porsche with similar options was at least $20K more, while not providing a significant improvement in any area. I owned the previous model with the NA flat-6... and although faster and better, the turbo 4 just bothered me (especially right behind my head).

Of course, if they'd had stock of the new GTS 4.0... then let's just say I wouldn't be registered on this forum right now. :D In fact, that's much more of a "damn, I wish I'd waited" than the MY21 Supra. In the end however, the Supra is a very "livable" sports car, possibly more-so than the Cayman was. I definitely appreciate a hatch more than a frunk...

I, like many others however, do wish I had as much performance/diagnostic data available as the Cayman did/does - or for that matter that I had on the RC-F even. The Supra, IMO at least, is in the market with every 2-seat sports car - almost regardless of price. Many in the market likely have a "budget" between $40K and $150K... look how many on here have 911's, GTR's, Z06's, etc...

It's actually the "normal Toyota buyer" that's not the same market as the Supra IMO. :p

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
It really is a great color... if I hadn't wanted something really bright this time around I'd probably be really bitter about that coming out later. ;)

I had a Cayman (base) and really liked it in many ways, but it was way too "stripped" so it was a very short lived relationship - which ended in my getting a RC-F instead. I was going back and forth again on the Cayman S/GTS when the MKV's started rolling out. When it came down to it, the Porsche with similar options was at least $20K more, while not providing a significant improvement in any area. I owned the previous model with the NA flat-6... and although faster and better, the turbo 4 just bothered me (especially right behind my head).

Of course, if they'd had stock of the new GTS 4.0... then let's just say I wouldn't be registered on this forum right now. :D In fact, that's much more of a "damn, I wish I'd waited" than the MY21 Supra. In the end however, the Supra is a very "livable" sports car, possibly more-so than the Cayman was. I definitely appreciate a hatch more than a frunk...

I, like many others however, do wish I had as much performance/diagnostic data available as the Cayman did/does - or for that matter that I had on the RC-F even. The Supra, IMO at least, is in the market with every 2-seat sports car - almost regardless of price. Many in the market likely have a "budget" between $40K and $150K... look how many on here have 911's, GTR's, Z06's, etc...

It's actually the "normal Toyota buyer" that's not the same market as the Supra IMO. :p
lmao. I am on a Corolla budget

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
lmao. I am on a Corolla budget
Well, they already have a car for that... but it's definitely not the Supra. ;) Honestly, if that were the case for me I'd just get a nice 'rolla hatch with a stick and save up for a couple years - there will likely be some very low mileage used MKV's going for $25K-$30K which mostly did weekend duty and are being sold "just to clear out garage space" by that time. Plus the depreciation on the Corolla would be almost non-existent by comparison.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you're on a Corolla budget but want a car like a Supra, I would get an 86/BRZ. Or a used 350z for cheap while you wait for aforementioned used Supra to start hitting the market.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
If you're on a Corolla budget but want a car like a Supra, I would get an 86/BRZ. Or a used 350z for cheap while you wait for aforementioned used Supra to start hitting the market.
thanks for the advice but I got my hopes and dreams on the A91 2.0. Reminds me of the turbo Genesis when it first came out.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
sounds Like Tada san is a business man. He is trying to sell the A91 to the world and the 2.0 model being “tuner friendly” because of extra engine space. I mean while working on my A90, I feel like there is plenty of space and simplicity to do modifications such as DP, turbo,etc. The A90 is def on the back burner, but lets not forget that this is still a great car! Maybe in his mind, he had already sold the A90 to the world and now it is basically time to move one to the next thing. Question is, does he even care about the current Supra sales?
Sponsored