SupraMKV Interview with Tada-San on 2021 GR Supra

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
sounds Like Tada san is a business man. He is trying to sell the A91 to the world and the 2.0 model being “tuner friendly” because of extra engine space. I mean while working on my A90, I feel like there is plenty of space and simplicity to do modifications such as DP, turbo,etc. The A90 is def on the back burner, but lets not forget that this is still a great car! Maybe in his mind, he had already sold the A90 to the world and now it is basically time to move one to the next thing. Question is, does he even care about the current Supra sales?
Yup. Couldn’t say it any better. Political correct answers. Doesn’t sound like he gives a shit about the existing customers or current sales... My thing after seeing him do this in such a short time and hearing him talk, I would be thinking should I buy a 2021 or wait another few revisions and see more improvements. Why not just keep waiting on 2022 or 2023?

His way of thinking things could hurt current and near future sales in a sense as well.

As Chief engineer, does he just designs do R&D correct? Does he have anything to do with marketing and sales aspect?
Sponsored

bigcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've watched this video, of course tuners can do anything they want until the transmission blowed.
Toyota, as we know, does not sacrifice reliability when chasing performance, and I don't think they would strengthen the ZF 8HP51 on A91.

I'm not blaming Toyota, but after all, strengthen a auto transmission box is much more difficult than a manual one.

Last edited:

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
Yup. Couldn’t say it any better. Political correct answers. Doesn’t sound like he gives a shit about the existing customers or current sales... My thing after seeing him do this in such a short time and hearing him talk, I would be thinking should I buy a 2021 or wait another few revisions and see more improvements. Why not just keep waiting on 2022 or 2023?

His way of thinking things could hurt current and near future sales in a sense as well.

As Chief engineer, does he just designs do R&D correct? Does he have anything to do with marketing and sales aspect?
By the way he talks about revisions, I am more than certain we will see performance changes every year. We might even see the S58 motor in a future model sooner than later. Unfortunately, much like the GTR did, the MY2021 3.0 base price will be substantially higher due to said “performance upgrades”. I am still glad I own mine and enjoy driving it everyday.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
I've watched this video, of course tuners can do anything they want until the transmission blowed.
Toyota, as we know, does not sacrifice reliability when chasing performance, and I don't think they would strengthen the the ZF 8HP51 on A91.

I'm not blaming Toyota, but after all, strengthen a auto transmission box is much more difficult than a manual one.
I agree with you in that the 8HP51 isn’t going anywhere for now.

The transmission isn’t difficult to upsize in and of itself. It is only a matter of ordering a higher rated 8HP from ZF. That may entail a drivetrain redesign (cost) to match design allowances as those parts likely need to be upsized as well from a reliability standpoint.

The other issue ignoring cost is weight. The 8HP51 is on the light side of 8 speed ZF transmissions. Adding another 20-40 lbs of transmission weight along with additional drivetrain weight would likely necessitate more engine improvements to keep performance parity let alone improve it.

The Supra’s improvements this year are the low hanging fruit and a transmission replacement doesn’t seem easily reachable.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
By the way he talks about revisions, I am more than certain we will see performance changes every year. We might even see the S58 motor in a future model sooner than later. Unfortunately, much like the GTR did, the MY2021 3.0 base price will be substantially higher due to said “performance upgrades”. I am still glad I own mine and enjoy driving it everyday.
I don't think so. The GT-R was a 100k car being sold for 60k. The Supra is a 55k car being sold for 55k, and it's not exactly flying out the showroom. They raise the price, they'll just lose more customers. They upped the horsepower to stay relevant where they're at.
I understand you WANT them to raise the price to make you feel better about buying a 2020 model, but that's just not how it works.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I don't think so. The GT-R was a 100k car being sold for 60k. The Supra is a 55k car being sold for 55k, and it's not exactly flying out the showroom. They raise the price, they'll just lose more customers. They upped the horsepower to stay relevant where they're at.
I understand you WANT them to raise the price to make you feel better about buying a 2020 model, but that's just not how it works.
The 2009 R35 GTR was never a $60k car. MSRP was around $76,840 and that was for the base model. And when it came out, I remember there was huge mark ups as well. That was super hot car at that time as well. After taxes and all done, more like a $80k+ car if you can score it for msrp. Of course now it’s a $100k+ car.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 2009 R35 GTR was never a $60k car. MSRP was around $76,840 and that was for the base model. And when it came out, I remember there was huge mark ups as well. That was super hot car at that time as well. After taxes and all done, more like a $80k+ car if you can score it for msrp. Of course now it’s a $100k+ car.
Forgive me. I can't keep track of MSRP from 12 years ago lol. But you get my point. They didn't raise the price, they reduced the discount. The GT-R was a steal at $80k. Especially if you looked at the exotics it beat back then. The Supra is not in that same boat.

Now, they might raise it a bit, I'm confident the A91 will be close to 60 because of the carbon spoiler, but substantially? No. My guess is a base and a premium will cost close to what they do now.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I think it's normal in his case to only be looking forward - but of course, I remember his pre-release A90 comments... which were a bit different than they are now. ;) However, I feel pleased in some sense with his "design purpose" talk at least as far as buying now over later. As someone who just wanted a sporty DD (maybe one casual track day a year) I would prefer a suspension that is more street focused than track focused TBH. I'll definitely be test driving the new model at some time... but even if it was similarly priced I think I'm likely happier with mine. Now if they suddenly repaved all the roads around here (and all the cops got fired) - then I'd have a different answer.

Besides, it's not like it's a slouch - I often find that, without realizing it, I'm passing at 100+ and have to reign it in. The car however is always being the devil on my shoulder and telling me that it's not even getting started and I should quit being a pussy.:p

KingTai

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
To be honest I was upset a little by the news but I'm happy to be one of the first to have the Supra. As of now I'm excited to trade the Supra for the last production year. Though I would lose probably half the value of the car when trading the car in.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

I doubt he has to much say in the sale and marketing of the car. If the office guys wants to cut costs they'll tell him to design with cost cutting in mind. Need a revamp design with that in mind. His way of thinking is how most car manufacturers think. Forward. Improve and grow. They dont care what you do with the car after it's been bought. They just care that the product they produced as is is sold and you come back to service it. Sure some accessories like TRD and stuff will generate sales. But those will still fit on the MY21 body hasnt changed. Sure maybe years down the road they'll bring back some "vintage" parts for the A90 to bring in more revenue but that's not the goal now. It's to sell a many of these as they can and keep it relevant. Good and bad press is keeping the car in the news and in peoples mind.

I drive a 2020. Kind of wish I have the warranty covered improvements but whatever I leased year 1 exactly for this reason because in 4 years theres going to be a way faster and more refined model out.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think it's normal in his case to only be looking forward - but of course, I remember his pre-release A90 comments... which were a bit different than they are now. ;) However, I feel pleased in some sense with his "design purpose" talk at least as far as buying now over later. As someone who just wanted a sporty DD (maybe one casual track day a year) I would prefer a suspension that is more street focused than track focused TBH. I'll definitely be test driving the new model at some time... but even if it was similarly priced I think I'm likely happier with mine. Now if they suddenly repaved all the roads around here (and all the cops got fired) - then I'd have a different answer.

Besides, it's not like it's a slouch - I often find that, without realizing it, I'm passing at 100+ and have to reign it in. The car however is always being the devil on my shoulder and telling me that it's not even getting started and I should quit being a pussy.:p
It's a lot more than we need lol!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To be honest I was upset a little by the news but I'm happy to be one of the first to have the Supra. As of now I'm excited to trade the Supra for the last production year. Though I would lose probably half the value of the car when trading the car in.
Unless you get a tax credit, sell privately. I only trade in if the dealer gives me private sale value.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Never enough speed haha
The one I drove had plenty. I turned left onto the on ramp, gave it the beans, rear end broke loose and by the time I merged on the interstate I was well over a 100 mph. And all i could think was "and mine will have 50 more horsepower??" I'm curious what the '21 will dyno at.