The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

tarpatel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
my mom's camry
Haha i know you jest but my dealings with the dealerships have been kind of sad.

I recently helped my dad buy a new camry, we ended up hitting 4 dealers. Not one person in any dealership was hyped about the Supra. i live in a huge southern city, these are not small time operators and the lack of knowledge or interest was sad...

this was only a month ago.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Haha i know you jest but my dealings with the dealerships have been kind of sad.

I recently helped my dad buy a new camry, we ended up hitting 4 dealers. Not one person in any dealership was hyped about the Supra. i live in a huge southern city, these are not small time operators and the lack of knowledge or interest was sad...

FWIW big dealer meeting was only a few weeks ago.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Galaxy 500

I read an interview once that said most car salesmen and car dealers aren't car enthusiasts. They don't know much about cars. They don't read car mags or surf sites. A reasonably well-informed car buyer will know more about cars than sales people will. Of course, as with all things, most car buyers aren't reasonably well-informed.

There are exceptions. An example is Expressway Toyota in Boston. The owner is a cousin of the famous Bochs, but not a douche like the main Bochs seem to be. He loves talking about cars, and will wax nostalgic about the days when Toyota had the Supra and the MR2 and the Celica All-Trac Turbo. And he has at least one pristine vintage Toyota on display in the showroom. The usual 'money is everything' dealership would never use prime showroom space to display a car that's not for sale.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I read an interview once that said most car salesmen and car dealers aren't car enthusiasts. They don't know much about cars. They don't read car mags or surf sites. A reasonably well-informed car buyer will know more about cars than sales people will. Of course, as with all things, most car buyers aren't reasonably well-informed.

There are exceptions. An example is Expressway Toyota in Boston. The owner is a cousin of the famous Bochs, but not a douche like the main Bochs seem to be. He loves talking about cars, and will wax nostalgic about the days when Toyota had the Supra and the MR2 and the Celica All-Trac Turbo. And he has at least one pristine vintage Toyota on display in the showroom. The usual 'money is everything' dealership would never use prime showroom space to display a car that's not for sale.
of course not, and why would they need to be? Have you taken a trip to an economy brand's dealership? 99% of people who go through such dealerships don't care to understand cars (nothing wrong with that), they just care about the monthly payment amount & practicality.

..enthusiasts will always be just a small niche for nearly every subject/activity..

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
@A70TTR, when this project first started there were articles saying that the new jointly developed platform for the Z4/Supra could be used for future sports car for both companies. So I am wondering if you know if there are any talks or plans for more sports cars from either BMW or Toyota. I recall rumors of the return of a smaller and cheaper Z3. Maybe even co-developed with the 2nd gen 86? Also, will Lexus receive their own version of the Supra. Perhaps a new Lexus SC300?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I have no knowledge of any other cars currently in planning or development between BMW and Toyota, but it may just be above my pay grade (likely if so).

Lexus LC succeeded the SC and could have worn the badge had things gone a little differently. I don't see the SC making a comeback anytime soon, but I wont say never.

Last edited:
OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Was never really designed to be, but I can see how you would feel that way.

Ultimately it's not quite premium enough, and the LC is a bit too premium, so a true modern SC would be between them IMO.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Was never really designed to be, but I can see how you would feel that way.

Ultimately it's not quite premium enough, and the LC is a bit too premium, so a true modern SC would be between them IMO.
Agreed, in my mind, the RC is really just an IS sedan and the LC is "just" an LS sedan. The SC, while sharing components with many other vehicles (notably the Supra), it was more of a standalone vehicle and I would say slotted in more at a GS level, though of course in coupe form.

Jeff

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I wish there were other angles. Saw this on IG this morning. Not gonna lie, got a little chubby when I saw it lol.