The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It’s fair to pit stock vs stock vs stock but when each of those engines are intended to be tuned by the owner I feel like it mostly comes down to what kind of Supra you want.

They also should have included a JDM MKIII TT-R.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The MKV Supra stock is fast!....much faster than a stock MKIV TT Supra. Downpipe and a tune on both platforms, the MKV Supra is probably still faster....and so on. I know the MKIV is a great platform for tuning, but the more time I spend with my brother as he works with his tuning shop, the more I realize that equally modified....a MKV Supra should still come out on top.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Stock for Stock, the A90 is far better in every way than an A80 - including driver engagement and fun factor...

When I first had my RZ V161 A80, it was stock (bar cat back, FMIC) so it did run a bit higher boost (13psi) and sound better (have you drive a stock A80 exhaust?! sounds horrid lol).... but the A90 was still a better drive and more engaging (even with the 8AT)

TBH,, every model Supra has improved on it's predecessor (except looks - nothing can beat the A61 :p)

The one common denominator is, they all feel very special to drive fast and to just enjoy around town.

My A80 is about 480whp (on 98RON) and about 570whp (E85) and it's more than enough for me with 275s square, 355mm 6 pots and new HKS hipermax... it's fantastic to drive.

If I had 450whp with the A90 - it'd be astonishing IMHO.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The MKV Supra stock is fast!....much faster than a stock MKIV TT Supra. Downpipe and a tune on both platforms, the MKV Supra is probably still faster....and so on. I know the MKIV is a great platform for tuning, but the more time I spend with my brother as he works with his tuning shop, the more I realize that equally modified....a MKV Supra should still come out on top.
While I do agree that the MKV is an incredible platform and will outperform any fully stock MKIV TT 6-speed or Auto, as currently stands there is a big problem with being able to tune the newer MKV ECUs. Even on its stock ECU the MKIV TT (USDM/UK/EU/Export spec) can use a boost cut eliminator and boost controller to get up to just under 500whp before upgrading the fuel system and other components.

The early pre-lockout MKV 3.0's may have that same advantage but until a reliable crack is developed for the 2021+ ECUs the MKIV TT will have an advantage there.

Both the MKIV and MKV 3.0L vehicles need expensive aftermarket ECUs to go far higher in power.

Stock for stock though the MKV is of course the better performer.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I do agree that the MKV is an incredible platform and will outperform any fully stock MKIV TT 6-speed or Auto, as currently stands there is a big problem with being able to tune the newer MKV ECUs. Even on its stock ECU the MKIV TT (USDM/UK/EU/Export spec) can use a boost cut eliminator and boost controller to get up to just under 500whp before upgrading the fuel system and other components.

The early pre-lockout MKV 3.0's may have that same advantage but until a reliable crack is developed for the 2021+ ECUs the MKIV TT will have an advantage there.

Both the MKIV and MKV 3.0L vehicles need expensive aftermarket ECUs to go far higher in power.

Stock for stock though the MKV is of course the better performer.
I Agree. When going after huge power, bang for buck the 2JZ is proven. My brother is shooting for 600whp, and I will start on my MKIV TT soon as well. Hopefully can get a video up in the future to show comparison of equally powered MKIV vs MKV. That will be fun.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PerformanceSound-- Aside, I only just now realized you bought an MKIV TT. Congratulations!!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
PerformanceSound-- Aside, I only just now realized you bought an MKIV TT. Congratulations!!
Thanks bud! Although a GTR is my goal, I couldn’t pass up the deal on the MKIV.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I posted that yesterday on the A80 thread hahaha
I got about 4 seconds in and had to turn it off when I heard that kids voice, "lets go baby!!" But I scrolled and got the results haha

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've been following Garage Whifbitz's work adapting that BMW 7-speed DCT box to MKIV's with a Syvecs controller. Very cool to see a finished example in action.

The results shouldn't surprise anyone though. Even with a 150hp advantage over the MKV there is an efficiency advantage in the much newer MKV. The same thing comes into play when comparing many desirable factory stock 1960's high performance muscle cars to their modern counterparts with similar-ish horsepower numbers. The newer cars tend to win acceleration races unless the much older cars have a TON of work and quite a lot of extra horsepower.

If the MKIV had yet another 150-200hp advantage then maybe it would have prevailed all around? Maybe.... but that would have depended on the turbo selection, fuel setup, tune, etc. etc.

Maybe an MKIV TT 6-speed with about 400whp pitted against a 2023 MKV 6-speed with its stock 382whp would be a much more fair comparison? I'm... not so sure. I think the advantage would still go to the MKV 6-speed for the same reasons of there being a difference between 1991 (MKIV's were first were sold in Japan as model year 1992's) era technology and efficiency in one design and 2019 era technology and efficiency in the other design.

It doesn't make the classic model bad at all. It's quite fast modified like this example was and it'll never not be a special and very fun car. But that's the engineering difference that nearly 30 years makes.

Personally I like both cars! Though I'm well aware of which one will be faster most of the time.
Sponsored