The Supra. What should have been // Share your thoughts

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
It should have had more toyota electronics. Hearing about the GR yaris and corolla they have way cooler performance data that the supra doesn't have.

The supra should have had an unlocked ECU for easier tuner access

It should have had normal oil requirements

It shouldn't have changed so much year over year
Sponsored

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
You will be whipped and crucified if you say anything that even remotely hints at anything negative about the MKIV on Supraforumsā€¦.weird because itā€™s called Supraforums not MKIVSupraforums. Donā€™t get me wrong, I too had my doubts initially about the MKV, but as more information came along (pre-release) and after my brother got his 2021 and I got some quality time being around it and driving itā€¦.itā€™s a solid car worthy of the Supra name. People can talk shit all they want, but the facts are the MKV is the better car overallā€¦.and it should be, itā€™s 30yrs newer!
Didn't you not get banned from SupraForums? They're crazy over there.

Also, I was a skeptic as well when it was being seen in public for the first time circa 2014. But the more details that I got to know about it the happier I became and I was convinced that we have a true successor to the A80.

OP
OP
D3ad_Hand

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
This thread is stupid. Thatā€™s my contribution.
Bro why r u mad. I literally mentioned in the begging its my opinions, everyone has one that's why I titled it share your thoughts.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase

Also, I was a skeptic as well when it was being seen in public for the first time circa 2014. But the more details that I got to know about it the happier I became and I was convinced that we have a true successor to the A80.
ā€¦donā€™t remind me. Their mentality is if you donā€™t own a MKIV and are on Supraforums, you will be considered a peasant. The moderators of SupraMKV are 110% better. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m gonna say.

Last edited:

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
My thoughts (not that it matters im sure):

The MKIII is the most ā€œloadedā€ of all Supraā€™s. Toyota threw everything they had into it; powerful motor, good chassis, nice sharp aero, comfy seats, and electronics to make RoboCop jealous. It was heavy and reliability was hit or miss (depending on how you drove it).

The MKIV isā€¦.wellā€¦.a MKIV. Bulletproof powertrain and drivetrain. Lighter than a MKIII. Awesome brakes. Best interior layout to be put in a car next to a McLaren F1. Excellent quality partsā€¦.even 30yrs later. Pretty car with just the right sports car proportions (doesnā€™t look wrong from any angle) even by todayā€™s standardsā€¦still a head turner. Chassis isnā€™t all that great, especially with targa option. Lack of other Toyota tech that Lexus had at the time (NAV, leather type, lighting, etcā€¦). For itā€™s time, it was great! Today, it needs heavy mods to compete.

MKV is very good out of the box. Fast, lightweight, great handling, great brakes, and smooth & refined. The motor has proven to be very stout and the transmission is a gem in this carā€¦.shifts quickly and crisply. Interior has no resemblance to any previous Supraā€™s, but the materials feel nice and high quality. Tons of tech (which is almost a necessity nowadays). The design idea (externally) is there (FT-1ish), but the proportions seem slightly off. Itā€™s a pretty car, no doubtā€¦.but some angles donā€™t flow right and donā€™t merge together well. Yeah, BMW co-developed it with Toyotaā€¦.but, itā€™s got all the qualities of a Supra.
I concur with this assessment. Whenever I drive my MKIV each time I go over bumps I wish I didn't have a targa because it creaks and the air sealing isn't 100%. With the top off it's fine and fairly quite up to 150 but you can feel the body start to flex.

The B58 is a great and versatile modern engine. Yes I wish it came with a 6 speed (although the ZF is fantastic) and greater fuel limits from the factory but it's still a very good powertrain. The ECU lock is expected with all modern cars due to how everything communicates so that doesn't bother me so much.

Overall I love seeing them on the road even when I'm driving the older version. Makes me smile every time to see Toyotas sports car legacy continued šŸ˜€

Edit: Not to mention it's unique and very light which I love

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
My opinion.

BMW makes a vehicle for 6-7 years and has major milestone updates after 3-4 years.
Toyota makes the same car for 15 years and does small incremental updates almost every year.

Because of this, Toyota has deliberately gimped the Supra at launch to provide multiple opportunities to upgrade and improve it throughout it's lifecycle. This also helps keep sales flat instead of dropping off, i.e. look at the FRS/GR86.

Also, Toyota did not "codevelop" the B58. They made sure it passed their testing, sure. But the B58 (both versions) were in BMWs over a year before they were put in a Toyota. Not to mention it's a revision of the B58 that BMW has made since 2015. If the TU2 makes it in the Supra next year, it'll be the same story.

Everything else, M2 chassis, S58, etc. is because the Supra launched before they were available. There wasn't even an opportunity to have that discussion at the time. If you like having a light car, be happy they didn't go with a 4-seater chassis.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
My opinion.

BMW makes a vehicle for 6-7 years and has major milestone updates after 3-4 years.
Toyota makes the same car for 15 years and does small incremental updates almost every year.

Because of this, Toyota has deliberately gimped the Supra at launch to provide multiple opportunities to upgrade and improve it throughout it's lifecycle. This also helps keep sales flat instead of dropping off, i.e. look at the FRS/GR86.

Also, Toyota did not "codevelop" the B58. They made sure it passed their testing, sure. But the B58 (both versions) were in BMWs over a year before they were put in a Toyota. Not to mention it's a revision of the B58 that BMW has made since 2015. If the TU2 makes it in the Supra next year, it'll be the same story.

Everything else, M2 chassis, S58, etc. is because the Supra launched before they were available. There wasn't even an opportunity to have that discussion at the time. If you like having a light car, be happy they didn't go with a 4-seater chassis.
šŸ‘†šŸ¼

You don't say much my friend, but when you do it's to the point, and I salute you for it.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

For me it was i saw it getting unnecessary hate, so i loved it right out of the gate

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'm probably in the minority here: I thoroughly researched the car before buying, so knew exactly what I was getting into. I think a 2JZ would be neat, for nostalgia sake, but I don't care either way, really. I don't care that it's mostly BMW but I also don't compare it to BMWs.
No matter what make the car is, it checks my boxes. Toyota, BMW, Nissan. Whatever it is, it should work and be fun.
I love the Mark IV Supra but I don't compare it to this. I don't wish this were a Mark IV, otherwise I would have bought a Mark IV.
Since I don't have loyalty to the older cars, and I am not faithful to any particular brand or model, that may explain why I'm perfectly happy with this car. Will I keep it for 10 years? Probably not. But who knows?

Supraluv

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra premium , Z4 Coupe , 2002 MRoadster
I am very happy with my Supra and the B58 engine. I liked the car but it wasn`t until I actually saw it in the flesh that I knew I was getting one.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
My only gripe (which is the premise of the thread right), is the nonfunctional oem ventsā€¦. And itā€™s not really a gripe, just an unfortunate decision by Toyota. It didnā€™t really both me until I saw folks on this forum spending money on equally non functional aftermarket vents LOL. No worries though, Iā€™m joining the club with a CF lip spoiler and 13mm wheel spacers (CF mirror caps already on).

Maybe this is in a thread on the forum somewhere but I donā€™t understand where the power bump from 2020 to 2021 came from. If itā€™s a ECU/software thing, Toyota shouldā€™ve provided the update to all existing 2020s or make it available for purchase (aim at folks who donā€™t want to aftermarket tune/JB4 their shit) That is just money for TRD waiting to be made. If itā€™s not a ECU thing then what did they do to add 50HP?
Sponsored