The "Unofficial" Pricing U.S. 2020 Supra models!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvatron

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Megatron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
720s
The fact that all people are talking about is "MODDING" the car is proof enough for me that Toyota has not made a new legend. When the last Supra came out, it didn't need to be "modded" to hang with the fastest sports cars of its time. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

Australian of The North

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Turbo 6 Speed & 2019 Toyota Supra GR GTS
No Supra has ever had something in common, ffs we had a hatchback Supra turn into a GT and then into a luxury!:doh:
:SMH:

... You sure?

- A60 - A80 had a shared gearbox in the W58
- 1Jz, 1.5jZ and 2Jz have very strong commonalities in them
- They they are all 2+2, with manual box option.
- All linage is built by Toyota, not farmed out.
- All were of the Sports car/GT category.,......
...... And there is more.

Its very obvious there was progressions from A-->B-->C-->D in the supra linage. Each one had a play in the next generation in some way. Either by saying "Lets keep it like this,", "This worked well, lets evolve it" or " that didn't work, lets drop it"... The A90 is the adopted child.

The A90 has nothing in common with the linage - Its a reboot of a Supra and Z4.

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
The badge, the A80 and the 2jz has legendary status...... NOT The A90 - not yet.

Its a car that hasn't even been released (until tomorrow), its almost entirely BMW and its got NOTHING on it derived from the A80, other than another iteration of the build code.... We don't even have official stats, and thus we are all just guessing at what actual figures might appear.

With all that, the A90 has NO right to inherent the legacy, nor the linage of the Supra line - YET.
Its not an evolution or developmental progression of the Line, its a complete rebooting of every single aspect, from Tyre caps to badge - its all new.

I'm not saying the A90 is a good or bad car, merely that by facts alone, it has no right to be hauled up early onto the same hall of fame pedestal the A80 has. To be worthy of the supra name its going to have to match the cool factor, the wow factor, the performance factor and tune-ability of the A80, whilst compensating for its reduction of driver engagement... all that's going to take about 5-10 years to fully pan out.

I suspect tomorrow will be a mixed reveal, with the majority facing significant disappointment, and only a minority will be excited. BUT - Tomorrow is just Day 1 for the Series 1 A90 supra. Let see how it does. Will it start out with a credible "Supra" badge?, or will it leave Detroit as the "Zupr4"?

You been spewing the same thing over and over and over. Yawn.... time to move on.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
The very same company in question here has released countless TRD superchargers that are covered under warranty after installation. Why couldn't this be applied here on the A90?

TRD at this very moment offers mods for the 86 and other vehicles that won't void the warranty.
So... supposedly, they are going to release a covered/warrantied supercharger.

What was the whole point in going with a tubrocharged B58?
Hold on, lemme remove the intake, turbo, pipes, intercooler and more so I can add a "TRD" super charger!

wtf?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
There will be factory items available for tuning through Gazoo and possibly Technocraft, and these parts are always covered under warranty.

I know of 4 parts that will available for the car on release and 2 are related to engine performance.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
There will be factory items available for tuning through Gazoo and possibly Technocraft, and these parts are always covered under warranty.

I know of 4 parts that will available for the car on release and 2 are related to engine performance.

Do you know if these parts going to be available in all markets? From what I remember there were some parts available through dealers for the BRZ/FRS but these were only available in some places (US only?) and as far as I'm aware were never made available in the UK.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
So... supposedly, they are going to release a covered/warrantied supercharger.

What was the whole point in going with a tubrocharged B58?
Hold on, lemme remove the intake, turbo, pipes, intercooler and more so I can add a "TRD" super charger!

wtf?
I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but no, that's not what I meant at all. The superchargers were an extreme example where Toyota offered +$5,000 parts to increase performance that are commonly known to hurt reliability while keeping it under warranty.

The Tacoma and Tundra TRD superchargers were on production for years before being discontinued and I think it's mainly a contract thing, nothing about reliability. The previous 1UZ had a supercharger as well that was discontinued at the end of the engines life span, same thing for the others.

What they could do for the MKV as I said before is add supporting mods to increase HP. @A70TTR confirmed two would be engine related. It could be a simple air intake or exhaust. Or maybe since we know for a fact the B58 in the Z4 can make +380hp, why not a TRD/GRMN $1000 flash tune? Increase the rev limiter and a few pounds of boost? It's really not that hard of a thing to do with a turbocharger.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The two I'm aware of are fairly simple but they're developing more. This is the debut car for GR and they're not going to let that slip past.

The other two are chassis related.

Also, several tuning shops are working on parts and rumor has it that TOM's has their own car already (for parts development I'm guessing).

This car is going to have incredible support.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
$50k for the 6cyl means $40k for the 4cyl seems more plausible. Now if they offer a manual in the cheaper car I'm in.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
I didn't think I'd have to spell it out but no, that's not what I meant at all. The superchargers were an extreme example where Toyota offered +$5,000 parts to increase performance that are commonly known to hurt reliability while keeping it under warranty.

The Tacoma and Tundra TRD superchargers were on production for years before being discontinued and I think it's mainly a contract thing, nothing about reliability. The previous 1UZ had a supercharger as well that was discontinued at the end of the engines life span, same thing for the others.

What they could do for the MKV as I said before is add supporting mods to increase HP. @A70TTR confirmed two would be engine related. It could be a simple air intake or exhaust. Or maybe since we know for a fact the B58 in the Z4 can make +380hp, why not a TRD/GRMN $1000 flash tune? Increase the rev limiter and a few pounds of boost? It's really not that hard of a thing to do with a turbocharger.
Yes, it increases performance, but it became such a headache to toyota they discontinued it. They were losing money servicing the hell out of the super chargers. The number of service issues related to superchargers were the final straws.
I just dont understand why toyota would ever put themselves at a disadvantage of not having an introduction 382hp b58 compared to the z4. What kind of hedge is this?
Toyota knows that re-mapping or chipping your car will have serious consequences to the owners and they are marketing this "it is tunable" strategy.
ffs people. Toyota wants you to chip this car. It will be one additional car less they have to worry about. --> that is toyota's goal.

People tune it. People wrekc it. People are then fucked since they cant take it back to the dealership. They will defend themselves by saying they wont service it because you did modifications that voided your warranty. Dont you see? It saves toyota money.

It is all about the money.

That is why some owners are asking for a strategized market equivalent supra.

GrayFox_MK5

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 350z Nismo, BMW 135is 6MT
This isn't a performance car so its not.
WTF is a performance car now? .:nono: Seriously your trolling levels are getting higher and higher.

A BRZ, Mk5 Supra, Miata and Cayman are all sports cars.

A Challenger, Mustang, Camaro are what one would call pony cars or muscle cars. But these days they can be considered sports cars as well since a Camaro or a Mustang handle really well. The old days of classifying cars according to their shape, body, make and model are getting blurred. Some people call a GTR a super sports car, a GT car or a supercar. Either 3 is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.