Thinking about upgrading sway bars? Not sure if you want to do front vs both? Here are my thoughts after installing only front sway, and then both

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
AFE Sways F and R, Rear end links AFE spherical/adjustable, Verus Camber plates here. Use case - track days, One Lap of America time trial sessions.

My setup is clearly a compromise. I wanted to stay with stock springs/dampers to keep the car comfortable for long trips, as some of the drives between tracks on OneLap are 10+ hours...and I'm old and soft :cool:

To me, the biggest change was from the negative camber, but truthfully, the camber plates and the sways went on at the same time, so it's hard to say. Turn in is so much quicker now, and the car is a teeny bit darty/tramlines if the road is rutted when compared to OEM.

Now that I have a little more track time with the car, I'd like some more spring rate to make the car take a set more quickly. It's a little squishy and slow to react with quicker transitions on track.
Sponsored

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
I always found sway bar upgrades to be subjective between drivers and driving style. What may work for one may not for the other. in stock form though at the track i find it to be a pretty neutral balance and predictive overall. my custom spring rates and ohlins shocks will be on soon. im hoping after that i wont need sway bars. I run no sway bars on my integra lol.

don't forget, when upgrading sway bars you'll also need adjustable endlinks!

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
I always found sway bar upgrades to be subjective between drivers and driving style. What may work for one may not for the other. in stock form though at the track i find it to be a pretty neutral balance and predictive overall. my custom spring rates and ohlins shocks will be on soon. im hoping after that i wont need sway bars. I run no sway bars on my integra lol.

i think most like the immediate benefit of less body roll and quicker steering. they're also very cheap and easy to install. at least for the front.

most don't realize it changes the balance between the front and rear tires, which results in more or less understeer or oversteer characteristics. doesn't really matter if you're not at the limit of grip though.

ideally you want to also adjust your shocks and springs too.

which springs did you go with? custom valved ohlins road and track?

OP
OP

Tugg Speedman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0

endlinks are mandatory when upgrading sways? the shop that did the install for me didn't mention that, so i'm a little surprised, they would give me the heads up usually.

are you on oem suspension? if wheels are skipping/skidding over bumps when turning, that's probably more related to the suspension not being able to soak up the bumps. you may have too much high speed rebound, which can cause the wheels to hop instead of soaking the bump.

sway bar redistributes corner loads between front and rear, which results in adding or reducing understeer/oversteer. the shocks/springs control more of the bumps.
yes, i'm on OEM suspension with dampers on comfort. bounciness was *really* bad with dampers on sport mode. happens less with comfort mode. it's not really a situation i run into all the time, so it doesn't really bother me, but i did notice it.

i also noticed recently that because there's more resistance/weight to the steering, it worsens the slight dead zone in the center. this means that you might think you are holding the wheel straight, but there is actually a small degree of angle which makes the steering wander more than expected.

this is compounded by the stiffer sway bars causing the wheels to follow road dips.

so this means that i have to be more careful about taking my eyes off the road even for a split second to adjust nav/AC/etc.... for this reason, i might be taking off the rear sway. these effects weren't nearly as pronounced with just the front sway.

definitely worth considering for daily drivers

Last edited:

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
endlinks are mandatory when upgrading sways? the shop that did the install for me didn't mention that, so i'm a little surprised, they would give me the heads up usually.
shouldn’t need to replace the end links unless the ride height changes. Adjustable end links are used to reduce binding when vehicle height changes.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I have AFE endlinks and Eibach Sway bars and HKS HAS springs with Verus camber plates. Would the endlinks make noise on uneven roads at low speeds? On the highway and smooth roads not really noticeable. On local roads that are not smooth on Normal Setting for suspension I noticed clunking. I know the Verus camber plates can make noise just wondering if adjustable endlinks can make noise??

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
i have zero noise from my verus camber plates, though i can't guarantee yours are tight and your springs are seated correctly. the clunking is most commonly loose end links, start there first before you take anything apart.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I have AFE endlinks and Eibach Sway bars and HKS HAS springs with Verus camber plates. Would the endlinks make noise on uneven roads at low speeds? On the highway and smooth roads not really noticeable. On local roads that are not smooth on Normal Setting for suspension I noticed clunking. I know the Verus camber plates can make noise just wondering if adjustable endlinks can make noise??
Would put it at 99% it's not the camber plates. Read this before doing anything else:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bi...-finally-found-the-culprit.21079/#post-341468

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium

Nideckerwrecker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 premium gr supra
What stiffness is everyone running their sway are at? These are good wirte ups an opinions, but with sets of sway bars having 3 stiffness settings, I would like to know where you guys are setting these to get these opinions / reviews
Sponsored