THIS Is the Manual Toyota Supra [Official Release]

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
You did state this before and I'm glad they actually carried the development through to production, finally. Here's hoping that the gearsets they chose for it are quite strong and durable well beyond stock power and torque.
So, from what I am told (again, this is what someone else is telling me) the main concern that caused the delay was NVH, weight, and operating temps. I believe GR division removed/revised alot of the components that made the manual ZF "comfortable" for BMW drivers, and in return got a; lighter, stronger, cooler running, and more efficient transmission than what was offered in the BMW cars. Gearsets centers are supposedly revised, as well as a different fluid requirement to reduce noise. I had heard that the driveshaft, axles, and diff had work done as well....but, I haven't seen anything reported on these. I wonder if these will be disclosed at launch.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I’ll leave this here

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
not going to lie, I'm disappointed they kept the shitty squished metal bracing tube.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
TLDW: No pricing until July. Toyota hopes to have it on sale late summer, but it may be later in the year until it arrives.

Sounds like October is still looking fairly realistic.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Around and around we go. Wish we had more updates on this GR Supra MT so we can stop bringing up old articles.
I only brought it up in response to earlier comments that it's a "GR transmission". It's not. It is the result of BMW parts-bin engineering, same process BMW would have gone through internally even if Toyota was not involved. The review Doug Demuro posted today confirms that. The manual is only being used for the Supra, so that much is unique, but it's very much a BMW transmission.

DDantas

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 bmw 328d
I’m glad we have some concrete wording from Toyota coming from the Doug video. So the manual is a combo of different manual BMW transmissions that’s “bespoke” to the Supra. Definitely want to see driving impressions when it comes out.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
I’m glad we have some concrete wording from Toyota coming from the Doug video. So the manual is a combo of different manual BMW transmissions that’s “bespoke” to the Supra. Definitely want to see driving impressions when it comes out.
Yep, Toyota has been very forthcoming about this, which is a big improvement from 3 years ago when they were tight-lipped about the collaboration with BMW. Maybe they were afraid to give away too much credit back then. But this time around they have shared the info with anybody who asks (and quite a few reviewers have).

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Can't wait to see some actual driving reviews on this thing. I know for certain i'll be getting rid of my Supra for a manual car. The question will be G82 M4 or save some money and go with the MT Supra.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
So, from what I am told (again, this is what someone else is telling me) the main concern that caused the delay was NVH, weight, and operating temps. I believe GR division removed/revised alot of the components that made the manual ZF "comfortable" for BMW drivers, and in return got a; lighter, stronger, cooler running, and more efficient transmission than what was offered in the BMW cars. Gearsets centers are supposedly revised, as well as a different fluid requirement to reduce noise. I had heard that the driveshaft, axles, and diff had work done as well....but, I haven't seen anything reported on these. I wonder if these will be disclosed at launch.
The BMW parts bin combinations I fully expected but I like their approach if this is so. They got the strength, cooler operating temperatures and weight targets that they wanted but the remaining consequence was some NVH which they solved with a specific gearbox oil. It wouldn't surprise me if they also specified a dual-mass flywheel as well to further minimize NVH. They did that for all MKIV 6-speeds after all.

The Getrag Type 233 V160/161 had some NVH in its design. The R154 5-speed did as well. It didn't bother or deter anyone from enjoying either gearbox in the past and it still doesn't now. This is pretty much a canon characteristic for turbocharged Supra manual transmissions so whatever they've done to get it to their standards should feel quite good and probably as good or better than either of those vintage Supra manual transmissions.

The rear differential will have a different, slightly shorter final drive ratio as compared to ZF8 3.0 Supras. Upgraded axles would be great if that is also true since that has been a noted weakness on these cars that people already upgrade for greater strength.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
The BMW parts bin combinations I fully expected but I like their approach if this is so. They got the strength, cooler operating temperatures and weight targets that they wanted but the remaining consequence was some NVH which they solved with a specific gearbox oil. It wouldn't surprise me if they also specified a dual-mass flywheel as well to further minimize NVH. They did that for all MKIV 6-speeds after all.

The Getrag Type 233 V160/161 had some NVH in its design. The R154 5-speed did as well. It didn't bother or deter anyone from enjoying either gearbox in the past and it still doesn't now. This is pretty much a canon characteristic for turbocharged Supra manual transmissions so whatever they've done to get it to their standards should feel quite good and probably as good or better than either of those vintage Supra manual transmissions.

The rear differential will have a different, slightly shorter final drive ratio as compared to ZF8 3.0 Supras. Upgraded axles would be great if that is also true since that has been a noted weakness on these cars that people already upgrade for greater strength.
The axle aspect would be amazing but that’s one part im not holding my breath for.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
..... It wouldn't surprise me if they also specified a dual-mass flywheel as well to further minimize NVH. ....
I'm trying to think af a modern car that doesn't use a dual-mass flywheel these days. I'd think that would be pretty rare. The last manual transmission car that I owned that didnt come with a dual-mass flywheel was my old Foxbody Mustang. I'm not sure if new Mustangs come with daul-mass flywheels or not, but I'd guess that they do.
Sponsored