Throttle hesitation

MoosieMoosie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra, 2014 Lexus IS350
Question for all the people experiencing this issue, does it happen with VSC off? Basically is the stability control system pulling torque then ramping it back to normal?
Couldn’t answer you yesterday since I wanted to replicate the same environment again but this time with vsc partially off ( button pressed one time). In my case, the throttle input was completely normal with vsc partially off even after cold start, and the problem didn’t appear at all throughout the trip
Sponsored

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Anyone have this problem after a tune\remap? Unsure if it's hardware or software related?

KBGT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Couldn’t answer you yesterday since I wanted to replicate the same environment again but this time with vsc partially off ( button pressed one time). In my case, the throttle input was completely normal with vsc partially off even after cold start, and the problem didn’t appear at all throughout the trip
Driving in the snow and ice recently got me thinking about VSC aka traction control potentially causing this issue. After a drive on super slick snow/ice where VSC is modulating torque significantly, try driving onto a surface with good grip. It takes VSC a little while to "learn" that there is traction and it can ramp up torque.

My car is fairly modified at this point but has always had an intermittent hesitation regardless of the mod level. The only time I never experience the hesitation is with VSC completely off. I would be interested to know if others experience this hesitation with VSC completely off.

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
It’s worth adding that another member was plugged in while this happened and reported that when this issue occurs the car throws an error regarding fuel pump response.

Maybe it’s traction going bonkers and cutting the fuel pump?

it would make sense, as the car doesn’t just straight up refuse throttle input….. it actually bogs down as if it’s being suffocated. My bet is there’s a communication problem between the fuel pump and ecu.

Last edited:

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Think I contributed earlier in this thread, but I've now had it happen 4 or 5 times in 4000 miles (2019 car). It always happens pulling away from a complete stop with moderate throttle, certainly not enough for the traction or stability control to kick in. 90% of my driving is in Sport move with traction and stability activated. Was hoping a MHD remap might help, but not convinced.

S2k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Think I contributed earlier in this thread, but I've now had it happen 4 or 5 times in 4000 miles (2019 car). It always happens pulling away from a complete stop with moderate throttle, certainly not enough for the traction or stability control to kick in. 90% of my driving is in Sport move with traction and stability activated. Was hoping a MHD remap might help, but not convinced.
I have also experienced this several times now on my 2019 with stock ECU. It always picks the worst times to do it. (which seems mainly when trying to get onto a rush hour traffic roundabout) It may be related to a higher throttle input, but it isn’t like a flooring/traction control type thing.. There was fix post which involved getting a patch from BMW, but that seemed to involve a lot of persuading Toyota to do it. I’m hoping Toyota does something official, but if it only affects the early cars, I’m not holding up much hope. I was planning to BM3 so would be interesting to know if re-maps fix this.

KBG

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've had this happen 2x now within the last 30 days. First time it happened was after a 45min interstate drive and turned off/parked for 15min. 2nd time was this morning after a 1hr interstate drive and sitting at a traffic light for a few minutes. Initial pedal input resulted in the car "bogging down". I pinned the pedal and the car started to move and change gears but felt like I was barely applying any input. 2021 w/stock tune

Skebs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Gray Supra
Something that's helped for me is lightly reving the car before driving. I mean like quick taps after getting the car warm, like 2-3 times.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Found this interesting section of a toyota article relating to TC mapping in 1st gear that may affect MTs in regard to ths topic of this thread:

Screenshot_20240131_234744_Microsoft 365 (Office).png
Sponsored