Tire Options??

RicksterSupra

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0/Prem - Porsche Cayenne
I live in a four season area, Washington, DC. I’ve researched the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (OEM), it’s my understanding these are rated for summer use. Has anyone already switched out the original tires and if so, kindly give details? I might be interested in something more all season when it comes time for new tires. Just doing some advanced research. Thanks!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

RicksterSupra

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I live in a four season area, Washington, DC. I’ve researched the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (OEM), it’s my understanding these are rated for summer use. Has anyone already switched out the original tires and if so, kindly give details? I might be interested in something more all season when it comes time for new tires. Just doing some advanced research. Thanks!!
I’m hearing Continental ExtremeContact DWS if you’re looking for an all season alternative
to OEM.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I’m hearing Continental ExtremeContact DWS if you’re looking for an all season alternative
to OEM.
I switched mine out for the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06. So far they have done well in cold weather.

I use the same tires all year on my BMW 435i X-drive, and they do very well in the winter

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport on My 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. Once the weather gets in the upper 30's its like driving on ice till the tires warm up, even once they are at temperature they still aren't good on the cold streets. Usually once November arrives the corvette gets put away till late April. I waited a little too late in the season 2 years ago to move it back to it's winter garage, so I had drive it very carefully to get it there.

OP
OP

RicksterSupra

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I switched mine out for the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06. So far they have done well in cold weather.

I use the same tires all year on my BMW 435i X-drive, and they do very well in the winter

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport on My 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. Once the weather gets in the upper 30's its like driving on ice till the tires warm up, even once they are at temperature they still aren't good on the cold streets. Usually once November arrives the corvette gets put away till late April. I waited a little too late in the season 2 years ago to move it back to it's winter garage, so I had drive it very carefully to get it there.
Thanks for the feedback! Cheers!

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
bringing this topic back around, what widths are people going with for all season tires? Is there anyone that makes an all season tire wider than 285? Has anyone tried the Yokahoma Advan Sport A/S wheels?

DaBritish

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Accord 2.0T and 2020 Supra 3.0 Prem
Hey guys, I will be collecting Supra late October and live in CT, where all seasons persist. Do you recommend switching out the tires with the continental all seasons as soon as I get it? From what I can understand in the above posts, is that it seems just cold temperatures make summer tires dangerous to use. I admit to being ignorant, thinking summer times should not be used in just the snow.

I don't really have space to store the OEM Michelin tires though and was hoping I could get away with the oems, just drive carefully and not when its snowing. Would storing the tires in a cold, somewhat moist garage be ok, or do they need to be wrapped in something to protect? I would rather just have one set, but don't think I can sell the oem tires, as they would be considered used as soon as I drive off the lot.

Thank you!

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Look at my post from Dec 3 in this thread, I think its the 3rd one. I switched out my tires for the Continentals within a week of getting my Supra.
I live in Illinois and we have to deal with cold and snow in the winter. I avoid driving after a snow because of the salt on the roads.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. Im in oregon and changing to the Yokohama advan sport a/s tires. I have heard these tires are only good for 15000 miles anyways from others who have changed them out

DaBritish

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Look at my post from Dec 3 in this thread, I think its the 3rd one. I switched out my tires for the Continentals within a week of getting my Supra.
I live in Illinois and we have to deal with cold and snow in the winter. I avoid driving after a snow because of the salt on the roads.
Thank you buddy, just the insight I need. Sucks having to drop another grand straight after buying the car to get something as standard as functional tires, but I guess that is how things go with sports cars (my first sports car purchase). Wish I could sell the OEM Michelin tires, as the Continental all seasons are enough all year round; not really worth spending the money to put the oems back on for summer.

Speaking of the continentals, they seem to be the only available all season tires. I say that, as in I cannot find winter tires for the car, perhaps it is due to the rims they come with. I have looked at tire rack and my local tire stores such as Pep Boys and Town Fair Tire, but they only seem to have all seasons. Posts in this thread have mentioned Alpine and blizzacks, but where were these sourced and is it likely the wheel had to be changed to accommodate the winter tire?

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you buddy, just the insight I need. Sucks having to drop another grand straight after buying the car to get something as standard as functional tires, but I guess that is how things go with sports cars (my first sports car purchase). Wish I could sell the OEM Michelin tires, as the Continental all seasons are enough all year round; not really worth spending the money to put the oems back on for summer.

Speaking of the continentals, they seem to be the only available all season tires. I say that, as in I cannot find winter tires for the car, perhaps it is due to the rims they come with. I have looked at tire rack and my local tire stores such as Pep Boys and Town Fair Tire, but they only seem to have all seasons. Posts in this thread have mentioned Alpine and blizzacks, but where were these sourced and is it likely the wheel had to be changed to accommodate the winter tire?
I can't help with the winter tires, as I only planned on using the all seasons. Most likely you have to change the wheel for winter tires. I have the OEM Michelin tires sitting in the garage, hoping at some point I can sell them.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
I cannot find winter tires for the car, perhaps it is due to the rims they come with. I have looked at tire rack and my local tire stores such as Pep Boys and Town Fair Tire, but they only seem to have all seasons.
Tire Rack is a little interesting. It will not return any results for winter tires if you search by vehicle or for both the front/rear tire sizes at the same time, but it will return results if you search by one tire size at a time. Not sure why.

That said, it's generally not recommended to get wide winter tires, as narrow tires tend to work better in slippery conditions like snow/slush. It would be best to have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires that are narrower than your summer set.

However, if you can only have one set and will be driving your car through all four seasons, than your only choice would be a good set of all-seasons. Summer tires are terrifying in cold weather, and completely useless in the snow.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
T

. Wish I could sell the OEM Michelin tires, as the Continental all seasons are enough all year round; not really worth spending the money to put the oems back on for summer.

I would buy them used if you were down here in VA.

Mine is a weekend/track only and i could use another set to burn up on the track until my bits and pieces get in and i dial it in. eventually will have dedicated track wheels and tires
:)
drive safe

DaBritish

First Name
Cruz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you fellas!

Rock, if you ever find yourself swinging by the East coast, ping me and i will give you a great deal of those tires (they will have less than 10 miles on em too!)

Kiro, I did indeed hear that wide tires are bad; my buddy that works in BMW, suggested the same thing (getting a new set of wheels and dedicated snow tires). At this time, I will have to take a risk and opt for the continental all seasons and never drive when it is snowing. As in all honesty, I would rather put more money down on the car (financing part of it), than drop another few grand for more wheels and tires. I guess buying a sports car is a very different exercise than buying a normal car, as you don't even think of having to buy something as standard as wheels and tires right after getting off the dealership lot.

I genuinely had no idea summer tires had issues in low temperatures, assuming it was just the snow that gave them issues. I guess the name "summer" makes more sense now.

kiroshino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 WRX STI
I guess buying a sports car is a very different exercise than buying a normal car
I'm assuming you're new to the car community. Welcome. :)

Cars are our passion, and we're here to help each other achieve our individual goals regardless of our motivations and experience.

I genuinely had no idea summer tires had issues in low temperatures
Yeah, I honestly didn't know either when I first got summer tires for my MR2. They harden in the cold, and are typically meant for temperatures above 45F. This is an exaggeration, but imagine driving around with tires made of hard plastic instead of rubber. @CarGuy11's video really helps demonstrate how useless the stock Supra tires are in the winter.

If you get a chance, I'd recommend finding a safe environment (ie empty parking lot) and exploring how your Supra handles in the snow. In general, RWD cars like the Supra can be less predictable in slippery conditions relative to FWD cars like your Accord. RWD, FWD, and AWD all handle differently at their limits and your driving habits need to adjust accordingly.
Sponsored