Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
2014-494680-toyota-ft-1-concept-with-graphite-paint.jpg

Toyota confirms Supra revival concept for 2016 reveal

Toyota Supra fans will be happy to hear the man responsible with the company’s sports cars has announced a concept will be introduced next year.

The S-FR concept currently on display in Tokyo is Toyota’s preview of an upcoming entry-level sports car, but work is already well underway at the other end of the spectrum where the long-awaited Supra revival is planned for a release in the years to come. Last year’s FT-1 concept pictured here served as a first glimpse for a modern Supra and will receive a follow-up in 2016, according to Tetsuya Tada, the boss of Toyota’s sports car division.

He didn’t say exactly when the new concept will be revealed, but our money is on NAIAS in January since the FT-1 made its debut at the same show in Detroit. Tada revealed the concept will employ new technologies and hinted it will have a sequential gearbox and an engine that won’t try to win the horsepower war since the car will be more about having fun than sheer power. That being said, Tada mentioned the engine will outperform many German rivals and the car will be better than a Porsche 911.

Described as being the GT86’s “big brother”, the new Supra is being developed with BMW and is expected have just about the same size as a 911. Engine options remain unconfirmed at this point, but the new range-topping sports car from Toyota will allegedly get an inline-six 3.0-liter turbo with at least 335 bhp (250 kW) and 331 lb-ft (450 Nm) along with a beefier plug-in hybrid version generating a combined output of 473 bhp (353 kW).

Hopefully we will find out more about the new Supra once the previewing concept will be introduced next year, with the production version to follow in 2017.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/1151029100543/toyota-confirms-supra-revival-concept-for-2016-reveal

Japanese sports car boss confirms 2016 preview for Porsche-slaying Supra

What's got a sequential manual gearbox, is co-developed with BMW, features a turbo-hybrid powertrain and could step on Lexus' toes?

Why, the born-again Toyota Supra of course.

In a wide-ranging interview in Tokyo overnight with a group of Australian journalists, Toyota's chief engineer for sports vehicle management (read: the bloke in charge of sports cars), Tetsuya Tada, said the upcoming flagship sports car will exceed expectations.

When motoring.com.au asked if another concept car would precede the production model, Tada-san responded: "Of course. We already prepare [a concept]. It's a surprise for next year."

It's not clear when the concept will drop, but the Detroit show in January is likely.

When the production version eventually appears, Tada insists it will not only be special, but worth the drawn-out reveal campaign, which can be traced back as far as the 2008 FT-HS concept and most recently included the 2014 FT-1 concept.

"There are so many high-end sport cars available in the world with 700 horsepower [515kW] or more [that are] not so special anymore," he said.

"So we try to realise something new and a new surprise for customers. Nobody will expect or imagine the new technology," he said.

The man behind the Toyota 86, Tada confirmed one of new technologies the Supra will take advantage of.

"Of course we are now investigating some new technology, a sequential gearbox," he confirmed.

But just because it makes use of a motorsport transmission, don't expect the Supra to be a 500kW-plus beast.

"That kind of horsepower makes no sense for our car. Almost all customers are not like professional racing drivers. They just want to enjoy, to feel something fun," said Toyota's sports car engineering chief.

We've written before that the new 'Supra' is expected to pack a six-cylinder turbocharged hybrid powertrain worth around 350kW, and although Tada-san wouldn't confirm vital statistics nor even the type of powertrain, he did say it would outperform some of Germany's most famous sports cars.

Asked if the Toyota 86's 'big brother', as he calls it, would be better than a Porsche, Tada-san didn't hesitate: "Yeah, of course".

Likely to reprise the Supra name, which "has a long heritage of Toyota sports, therefore Supra has a really good image and direction," the Japanese giant's new-generation sports flagship is expected to be roughly the same size as a Porsche 911, and could take design cues from the FT-1.

But therein lies the problem for Toyota.

By developing this flagship sports car with whiz-bang technology, loads of power, exceptional handling dynamics and striking looks, it could ruffle a few feathers over at sister brand Lexus.

"It's easy to imagine it could be close to Lexus. It's difficult to position it [without encroaching Lexus], yes," agreed Tada-san.

But stepping on the toes of cars like the Lexus RC F may be the least of Toyota's worries.

With Honda's new NSX hybrid supercar almost production ready and Mazda confirming it will jump back into the rotary coupe arena, Toyota's reborn Supra won't have it all its own way in the Japanese sports car market.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/toyota/new-toyota-supra-concept-near-54794
Sponsored

Last edited:

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Is this FT-1 II?

Does a real car come after that?

Guess we'll have to keep waiting.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Kind of echos what I was told by the corporate staff at Seattle show: it won't be the FT1; it's a joint venture between Toyota and BMW; and it's at least three years away.

I like the description that it'll be about driving and performance and not Hp.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Similar interview but with a very interesting last comment. Read the end part!
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-new-supra-coming-soon-20151029-gklq3j.html

The man responsible for developing the highly-anticipated successor to the Toyota Supra has promised it will shock and surprise.

Tetsuya Tada, Toyota's head of sports car development and the man credited for the 86, spoke to Australian media overnight at the 2015 Tokyo motor show, revealing the latest information on the long-awaited sports coupe.

Tada confirmed his plan is for Toyota to offer a sports car line up of "three brothers" - a small coupe based on the S-FR concept, the 86 as the middle brother and the new 'Supra' the big brother.

But while the big brother is unlikely to carry the Supra name it will try and capture the spirit of the car.

"I don't know the name," Tada said. "But Supra is the heritage of Toyota sports, therefore Supra has a good image and direction."

Toyota has been working on the project for several years in partnership with German brand BMW. The Japanese company gave the first suggestion of its idea for the car the 2014 Detroit motor show, when it revealed the FT-1 concept.

Without giving away any too many specifics Tada suggested the car would be unlike any other sports car, boasting new hybrid powertrain technology never used before by Toyota.

"You've already checked Honda's next generation NSX," he explained. "It already announced many future technologies for hybrid sports [cars]. With Toyota also already has many investigations into that technology.

"Hybrid technology is key technology for Toyota. We release hybrid sports [cars] in the market, we must provide something new, something wow, a surprise."

Asked if that meant electric turbocharging Tada dismissed the concept.

"Also not so much a surprise," he said.

But he stressed that hybrid technology was important for the car, as it would be a flagship for the brand that has become synonymous with hybrid vehicles.

"That is one of the really important technologies for the car. That is why we try to change the mind with hybrid engines," he explained.

Asked whether a larger electric motor or combustion engine was better for sports cars Tada said: "That's a good question. We have tried many different types of combinations."

Pushed to reveal which was best he only revealed: "It depends. For only track use I already made a solution, but people expect many road conditions not only track. It all depends what kind of situation the customer wants to drive."

But Tada played down the car packing power to rival European supercars.

"Now there are so many high-end sports [cars] in the world. Now 700 or 800-horsepower is not so special," he said.

"Power is not so important for customers already. So what is the new shock and new surprise for customers? That is really important and difficult to make. We try to realise something new, a new surprise for customers. Nobody expects, nobody [will] match the technology… Nobody imagine."

Tada did reveal that he considers the Porsche 911 the benchmark sports car and when asked if the new coupe could match the German car he didn't hesitate.

"Yeah," he said.

He added: "Big brother will have amazing performance."

And while Tada suggested it is likely to be a hardtop coupe, he didn't rule out something very different - a single door.

"All the real sports cars make no sense. How about one door? One door makes it very good for rigidity and lightweight," he said.

But asked if it was technically possible: "I think so. One door. No door."

As for when the car will appear Tada revealed a new concept is likely to arrive sometime in 2016 but he won't give any specifics on the production car.

"Coming soon," he said. "Please be patient.

Last edited:

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
So this will be priced similar to a Porsche 911 then??? Darn..

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Looks like hybrid is inevitable. What does everyone think of it?

I was really hoping it wouldn't go that route especially seeing how heavy the NSX ended up being (3800 pounds) because of the hybrid power plant.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It seems this upcoming car will be hybrid. Not to sure how I feel about it or how well it will work in the tuner scene. Hopefully they provide both a hybrid and non hybrid option. And a true manual 6 speed for the non hybrid.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
It is sad everything is going hybrid. I like the Porsche 911 size rumor which I believe was mentioned way back. Not happy about the powertrain and agree I really hope there is at least a non hybrid option. I don't understand why a halo sports car needs to be fuel efficient.

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
It seems this upcoming car will be hybrid. Not to sure how I feel about it or how well it will work in the tuner scene. Hopefully they provide both a hybrid and non hybrid option. And a true manual 6 speed for the non hybrid.
+1

I can't really think of a hybrid sports car that's affordable for and popular with the enthusiasts crowd. Big part of the Supra's legendary status is from being a true tuner's and enthusiast's car. If the hybrid power plant prevents much tuning or customizing, the new Supra won't be nearly as popular as the last :(

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Offering both a hybrid and non hybrid will be their best solution. Offer a hybrid option with a DCT (for those who want all the new technology in a sports car) and a non hybrid with an option of a DCT or manual tranny for those who plan to modify the car to make more power. The car will probably come under powered from the factory like the MKIV Supra as long as the engine is mod friendly and can make serious power being reliable. I think if this is their plan, most should be satisfied. Just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
Offering both a hybrid and non hybrid will be their best solution. Offer a hybrid option with a DCT (for those who want all the new technology in a sports car) and a non hybrid with an option of a DCT or manual tranny for those who plan to modify the car to make more power. The car will probably come under powered from the factory like the MKIV Supra as long as the engine is mod friendly and can make serious power being reliable. I think if this is their plan, most should be satisfied. Just wishful thinking.
I think that'd be a good plan too but no indications so far that's what'll happen :fingers crossed:

But can you imagine the pissing matches we'll see on here between hybrid and gasoline-only owners :catfight:

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
I can't imagine them using a plain old/basic Prius hybrid type engine when they are calling out for a sequential gearbox! He said, it'll be something people can't imagine (right there you can forget the Prius) or won't expect.

I'm voting for Prototype/F1 type engine technology with sequential gearbox. If that ever happens, it'd be a dream come true for me!

Anxiously awaiting Detroit show in two months!

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Ugh.

I guess I'm happy that there will be a car.

But more and more it's sounding like a car I won't be interested in buying.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I didnt really want it too happen, but we all really shouldnt be surprised about the hybrid part...

Toyota-FT-HS-concept-rear-side-view-lights-on.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.