Toyota confirms Supra revival concept for 2016 reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So there might be both a regular gas version and a hybrid version? The hybrid version would be the higher performance / more expensive model?
Sponsored

Nadeshot!

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My trusty Jeep
So there might be both a regular gas version and a hybrid version? The hybrid version would be the higher performance / more expensive model?
Most likely. It'll be more expensive to build, but will also have that extra power from the electric motors. We're going to see hybrid sports cars become mainstream I bet. BMW M is already conceding that future M models will likely be hybrid.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Disappointed to not see another concept at Detroit but this is just the start of the auto show season so still plenty of shows to show it. NY Show is in April I think so maybe we see it there?
No I don't think so. Only because it seems Toyota already has a lot of debuts. Below is the current list.

Toyota 86
Toyota Prius Special
Toyota Highlander F/L
Toyota C-HR Concept
Scion tC RS 10.0

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/2016-new-york-auto-show-your-to-z-guide.html

JT

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
The folks at Motoring are doubling down on claims that the Toyota Supra Concept will be shown this year with production to begin by 2018.

They spoke to Tetsuya Tada and learned that while he is pushing for the Supra name, the final decision has yet to be made and lays in the hands of Toyota global chief, Akio Toyoda.

As for timing, Motoring rests on the previous comments by Tada san that a preview would be shown in 2016. Tada san also hints that the production Supra MKV could follow the same two-year timeline from concept to reveal as the Toyota 86.

“It’s not a definite but as you remember, regarding the 86, we started showing the concept car around two years before the car was revealed. For the coming new car maybe we do the same way… but not 100 per cent!”

Toyota Supra name firms

Born-again Toyota supercar to reprise famous six-cylinder sports car name

Toyota’s all-new supercar – tipped to be previewed sometime this year as a concept car – is almost certain to reprise the famous Supra badge.

Reviving the Supra name that has been used across four generations of Toyota sports cars between 1978 and 2002 – all powered by an inline six-cylinder engine – the next-generation rear-drive sports car will draw on the company’s rich performance car heritage.

Tetsuya Tada, Toyota’s chief engineer for all sports car programs including the Toyota 86, told motoring.com.au that while the car is still “very secret”, he’s pushing hard to get the Supra name reinstated.

“No one has really decided the name yet,” he said, before admitting the thinking around the new supercar’s name, development of which kicked off more than three years ago, was to leverage the Japanese brand’s proud sports car history.

“It’s exactly the same as the new [Toyota] 86. The [Corolla-based] AE86 was so popular amongst the Japanese and heritage car collectors so we always wanted to use that. It comes down to the same story: Supra has so much history, and it’s so loved,” he explained.

1984 Toyota Supra

The ultimate decision over whether the Supra name will be dusted off depends upon Toyota’s global chief, Akio Toyoda, with whom Tada has a close relationship.

“Of course the boss has to decide at the very last stage. But we always talk together about it. The decision maker is Akio,” said Tada, who previously revealed the new model could take advantage of a sequential gearbox and a turbo-petrol engine with electric augmentation.

The Supra name would ensure membership to the same distinguished coterie as the upcoming Honda NSX, a $450,000 supercar which could blitz the competition when it arrives in Australia later in 2016.

Nissan is another Japanese brand with a famous hero car drawing on a rich heritage, the GT-R, and Tada says the reborn Supra will be a rival for both the GT-R and NSX.

“This next model should be king of sports car for Toyota. It has to be top dog, in speed also,” stated Tada-san.

2014 Toyota FT-1 Concept

Although he wouldn’t be drawn on powertrain specifics or timing for the production car it’s almost certainly going to be powered by a high-tech inline six-cylinder engine, which will be shared with development partner BMW along with the car’s platform architecture.

“It’s a proper sports car,” Tada said, “so racetrack also is a very important [development] stage for a new sports car with BMW.

“That is the reason why we chose BMW as a partner – we want performance,” he said.

Tada has previously said a ‘preview’ of the Supra, most likely a radical concept design like Toyota’s 2014 FT-1 concept (pictured), will appear this year and hinted that the production car could be deployed two years after that – for a late 2018 reveal.

“It’s not a definite but as you remember, regarding the 86, we started showing the concept car around two years before the car was revealed. For the coming new car maybe we do the same way… but not 100 per cent!” he offered.

http://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-supra-name-firms-102321/

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I want to believe it. I think the mistake they made was making references to the Supra in those FT-1 videos then waiting 2+ years before the actual Supra concept. It made it feel like a long drawn out wait when in reality there hasn't even been a concept yet.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I want to believe it. I think the mistake they made was making references to the Supra in those FT-1 videos then waiting 2+ years before the actual Supra concept. It made it feel like a long drawn out wait when in reality there hasn't even been a concept yet.
The FT1 looking so good didn't help things :) As soon as it came out everyone wanted it, which made the wait seem so much longer. 2-3 years from initial design concept to production car really isn't a crazy long time. The new NSX was announced in 2011, concept was shown in 2012, and is just coming out now. :confused1:

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I got to thinking.. didn't they promise a new concept last year too?

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My guess would and LA debut which is almost by the end of the year. Hopefully we get a real concept with engine info. And some specs.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
If they do show another concept I hope it will be the "10% less" version. Also something that is more production ready. Don't make a crazy rice out version that will not look much like the production car (aka FT-86 II).

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
The FT1 looking so good didn't help things :) As soon as it came out everyone wanted it, which made the wait seem so much longer. 2-3 years from initial design concept to production car really isn't a crazy long time. The new NSX was announced in 2011, concept was shown in 2012, and is just coming out now. :confused1:
DO NOT COMPARE TO THE NSX (which is still somehow managing to prove itself to be vaporware). That thing has been in the works now for more like 12 years, arguably longer.

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
9/21/16

Paris
9/29/16

LA
10/18/16
Pebble is in August, but the concept lawn would strike me as where Toyota would show the car if it is in fact going to be shown this year. Car week and pebble is a big prestige thing for the Japanese which typically trends more European and American. American market is where the bulk of sportscar sales go these days so it should be the focus. Would only give them three months so I would be doubtful, but given the recent new coverage maybe this is about to drop.

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
With the shows remaining I would think Toyota will just hold a separate event and have it at the future auto shows. The shows are really losing their luster nowadays.

323 Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ducati
With the shows remaining I would think Toyota will just hold a separate event and have it at the future auto shows. The shows are really losing their luster nowadays.
I agree with @Craigy it very well might be shown at Pebble Beach. Toyota thought enough of the show to debut the gray FT-1 concept there. Might only be 3 months away but who knows how far along they are. The Supra Concept could be already done and they're just keeping very tight lipped for all we know.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.