Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
various
I think it still needs to maintain some of those sexy curves. Flatten it out too much like the FT-HS's front end and it looks boring. Also, I prefer the proportions of the FT-1... hood should stay proportionally longer IMO.
Sponsored

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The most design I'd want it to share with other Toyotas is how much GT-R shares with the rest of the Nissan models, which is not a ton. If I am ponying up some serious $ for a top end Toyota sports car I'd like it to be unique and not have the same face as a Prius or Mirai. :doh:

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Fords have that Aston Martin face now.
Not all and there are big differences for anyone that is not blind. The Taurus, Focus and Fusion all have different grill shapes despite shared design language. The F150 and Escape are also totally distinct.

Lexus on the other hand has adopted the hourglass grill across the board even on the GX, LX, etc. Not saying it is a bad thing but it's way more of a corporate look than most manufacturers.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
That pic in the OP, or really any other photoshop attempt at a "nose job" really neuters the styling of the car, IMO.

What's so appealing about this car is that it's not just some generic sportscar that happens to be made by Toyota, but that it is unique and aggressive.

Hans

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 IS-F
If it loses the Formula 1 style nose, a big part of the reason people love the FT-1 concept will be missing :(

I doubt the production air intakes can be that big but I hope they keep the pointed F1 nose design somehow.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unless production remains exactly like the concept (which I doubt) i would rather have no nose and a front bumper closer to the FT-HS and FRS front bumper.

NeroZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S Release Series 1
Saw this jalopnik article and made me think of this thread :)
http://jalopnik.com/your-definitive-chart-of-all-the-new-f1-noses-and-what-1513263371

There's been a lot of talk about the new noses on the 2014 F1 cars — mostly about what sort of gentials they resemble. As much as I love genitalia, the immediate gonadal assumption of the new noses isn't really fair or accurate, which is why I'm happy to present this comprehensive chart of the 2014 F1 noses.

19e9dgkp7ajiljpg.jpg
The FT1 looks most like the Sauber or the Proboscis Monkey. I still love it tho :respect:

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
I really wanted to like the nose but I don't. The yellow one looks better to me. If the production FT-1 comes with the F1 style nose then that's the first thing I'll replace with aftermarket parts (and I bet I won't be the only one).

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I was also thinking the same thing. Those that don't like the nose could just get an aftermarket unit.

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
I'm surprised how many don't really like the nose. I think it's the meanest part of the car. That yellow render just makes it so much more generic looking.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Most of us here actually likes the nose, but than you go onto other forums and blogs it becomes a 50/50 toss up.

Hal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda s2000
I like both noses. Does anyone think the wide door sills will be kept? Could be hard getting in and out.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I like both noses. Does anyone think the wide door sills will be kept? Could be hard getting in and out.
Hard to say. Current body is just built on a RC platform so don't know if we can really tell much from the current body in terms of dimensions and other aspects. But ya ingress and egress look hard.

If the Supra gets a carbon tub we can expect the same wide door sill though. Alfa Romeo 4c, BMW i8, Mclaren MP4-12c all have very wide sills. I'll happily deal with difficulty getting in and out tho if it means hopping over a carbon tub! :)

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Hard to say. Current body is just built on a RC platform so don't know if we can really tell much from the current body in terms of dimensions and other aspects. But ya ingress and egress look hard.

If the Supra gets a carbon tub we can expect the same wide door sill though. Alfa Romeo 4c, BMW i8, Mclaren MP4-12c all have very wide sills. I'll happily deal with difficulty getting in and out tho if it means hopping over a carbon tub! :)
At least the Supra won't be getting gullwing doors. Would really take a contortionist to get in and out :rofl:

hier-quaelt-sich-der-bmw-chef-aus-dem-neuen-i8.jpg

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
Voted to keep it. Seeing something like that on the road would most people's jaw drop it's so different and race car like.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.