Toyota FT-Se Concept

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I cant see this thing costing less than $40k-$50k. With that said it would make sense that the next Supra is rumored to be going upmarket.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I cant see this thing costing less than $40k-$50k. With that said it would make sense that the next Supra is rumored to be going upmarket.
Hopefully it won't be priced too high to where most of us can't afford to get one.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Adjusted for inflation the Supra MKIV was around $80k-$85k USD in today's money before they dropped $10k off the MSRP in 1997 to try to make more sales..

Today's Supra 3.0L started out far more affordably at $55k USD and is still well below that price range.

I can see the MSRP for the next Supra go up... but I wouldn't want to see the Supra become a luxury car as it goes up in price and change into something it is not supposed to be as a driver oriented sportscar (regardless of what its future powertrain is).

It's still hard to say what this MR2 will turn out to be or price out at.

Hopefully it won't be priced too high to where most of us can't afford to get one.
^^ This x100.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I believe the people with inside knowledge said around $80k starting. Moving onto the EV MR2 thingy I think Toyota would need to price it less than the upcoming EV Boxster/Cayman

a90fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90 3.0 Premium
A lot people are also saying this is the next Supra not the MR2 🤔, maybe Toyota hasn't decided which model this concept car will officially be 🤷‍yet.

rowdy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Renaissance Red 2.0 A90 Supra 3.0L
I see a few style points that are reminiscent of the a90 supra that I could see this concept being the prophesied new supra that was suppose to be something very different from today’s supra per Tetsuya Tada-san’s note on next gen supra. The bubble roof, black pillers/roof, and front and rear end venting/shape being exaggerated versions of what is found on the a90s.

“In the interview, Tada-san says Toyota is likely to make the next Supra electric or even autonomous, citing the coming change in the industry toward such vehicles. However, he’s confident there will be an A100. However, he’s uncertain what form it’ll take. He suggests it could be an EV, or something autonomous. He even suggests it could be something like a Formula E car, which would be a radical move. He added the A100 could take the Supra name in a completely different direction, and be much removed from the iconic lineage of the A70 and A80.”

Last edited:

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Yeah I think it could go either way at this early point in time.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know that Tada-San theorized that the next Supra could even go autonomous but… I flat out fail to understand the appeal of a Supra that fully or even partially does any of the driving for you, apart from common and basic traction control aids, stability control aids and ABS braking.

What’s the point of a sports car that you don’t drive yourself…? What does the non-conscious and not self-aware self-driving sports car get out of being a sports car moving around like a sports car…? It doesn’t think, it doesn’t have dreams, aspirations or emotions. It doesn’t have a self-driven deep seated life need to challenge its own limits and develop its skill the way a human being does. It’s just a machine. It is the human operator element that makes the experience of driving a sports car special.

I still think this concept is likely to be more MR2 or even just future EV sportscar design study than it is Supra.

The Lexus sports car EV concept with the long hood and short rear is what looks far more like a Supra than this thing does.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting development:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota-ft-se-planned-to-launch-2026-or-later-as-porsche-718-ev-rival

Toyota FT-Se Planned to Launch 2026 or Later as Porsche 718 EV Rival

The sports car’s designer confirmed Toyota’s plans for the MR2 spiritual successor at the Japan Mobility Show.

The Toyota FT-Se concept looked at first like another chapter in the long, sad story of the MR2 successor that'll never be. But now, a Toyota official has apparently confirmed the FT-Se is meant for production, ending any waffling or speculation about another mid-engined (ish) Toyota once and for all.
The FT-Se's production plans were confirmed to Inside EVs on the floor of the Japan Mobility Show, where the concept was revealed this week. Curiously, their firsthand report of the concept indicates it's much more complete than Toyota's many other EV proposals present at the event. That's because Hideaki Iidi, project manager for GR Design Group and the FT-Se's father, confirmed the concept will enter production after the Lexus LF-ZC sedan, with which it shares its battery.
"We're going to release the Lexus model in 2026 and this one afterward," Iida told the outlet. "We can't guarantee the year itself, but as soon as possible. After 2026 is what I can tell you."

Iida reportedly pointed to the production model competing with Porsche's electric 718 sequel, which could debut next year, and at a lower weight than performance EVs so far. The FT-Se's weight, power, and price weren't discussed, but other Toyota officials at the show reportedly suggested the car will use Toyota's simulated manual transmission for EVs. That feature has been teased for 2026 or so like the FT-Se, along with Toyota's previously confirmed electric sports car. It's all finally coming together, and with as much as 550 horsepower if period rumors are to be believed.

All this may have you thinking the FT-Se will be an inauthentic followup to the MR2—it's expensive, electric, and it may get smushed like the FT-1 concept did when it was turned into the GR Supra. But Iida emphasized the FT-Se isn't supposed to be a part of the MR2's (or Supra's) lineage, stating, "this is a brand-new design language to show this is a new brand... not traditional."

If you want to see the FT-Se as a fourth-gen MR2 anyway, an E-W40, you still can. It has the small footprint, short wheelbase, and high-bubbled roof characteristic of the AW11 and SW20. Plus, I as The Drive's resident MR2 owner have already proposed a way Toyota could execute such a car without offending MR2 owners. (They'll probably be angry anyway, but they can't afford an FT-Se, so their dollars won't vote.)

I accepted long ago that the MR2 is dead and never returning; the economy and car market just wouldn't support it. But I'll welcome the FT-Se with open arms—though it may be a side hug until Toyota's fake manual proves itself a worthwhile innovation and not a shallow gimmick.

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I wouldn't mind having a baby electric supercar parked next to my manual Supra someday. Get the best of both worlds. 6 speed manual, front engine, rear wheel drive, gas powered sports car and an all wheel drive, electric, silent, stealthy cruise missile. If they were to put this into production, a starting price around $80k would hit the mark in my eyes in regards to Boxster/Cayman pricing, realistic C8 corvette pricing etc. I for one am grateful, and we should all be glad that cars like this are even being designed still since SUV's, crossovers and trucks have pretty much dominated the automotive sales landscape and will continue to do so.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota could just give it a new name altogether.
In the article above it seems to be a possibility that this might be exactly what they do. A whole new model name instead of resurrecting a historic one like "MR2".

We'll see by 2026 or 2027.
Sponsored