Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
Don't know if it has already been posted but:

pistonheads.com said:
Toyota has confirmed to PH that it won’t be uprating European versions of its GR Supra to 387hp thanks to the ever-tightening limits of Euro6 legislation. While the US Supra’s output has received a 37hp boost for 2020 with the addition of a new twin scroll turbocharger and different pistons, the inline-six cars in Europe are to be pegged at 340hp with an unchanged technical specification. BMW is held back by the same rules, with its identically-engined Z4 M40i capped at 340hp in Europe, emphasising just how stringent European limits have become on the global stage.

It would be hard to describe the Supra as lacking punch in European trim, with the Gazoo Racing model capable of hitting 62mph in 4.3 seconds and a 155mph limited top speed. But in the US the car faces much larger-engined rivals such as the Dodge Charger, so it’s likely the region’s execs have been pushing for the boost in order to up the model’s competitiveness. In Europe, rivals are also limited by Euro6 restrictions, with the equivalent 718 Cayman, for example, using that ever controversial turbocharged four-pot.

It could very well be pressure from American rivals that has also encouraged Toyota’s decision to launch a new variant over there, the A91 Edition. With just 1,000 to be made, each gets red brake calipers, carbon exterior trim and matte black wheels, as well as an Alcantara-trimmed steering wheel and 8.8-inch touchscreen. The UK line-up remains the same, although there’s still hope for uprated versions later on – as first mooted/requested by Dan in his original review. Indeed, tuner Litchfield has already proven that the 3.0-litre engine is more than capable of extra power; its version has a healthy 450hp.
So seems not to worry about aftermarket support... Europe will save the day ;):)

And if emission regulations tighten in US... 2020 model owners will have an advantage :p

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
the irony is that the 3 liter supra is actually less expensive to run as an 86 here because of the emissions.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
The 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 returns and produces 382 hp instead of last year's 335, while torque is 368 lb-ft up from the previous 365. Toyota said the power increase comes from a new six-port dual-branch exhaust manifold (last year's model had two ports), revised heat management, and a new piston design that reduced the engine's compression from 11:1 to 10.2:1.

The increased power output also increases performance with the last year's 0 to 60 sprint of 4.1 seconds dropping to 3.9 seconds, though top speed remains electronically limited at 155 mph.

Toyota modified the chassis on six-cylinder models for 2021 with aluminum braces from the radiator to the strut towers, new front and rear bump stops, and an updated tune on the dampers. The electric power steering, adaptive suspension, stability control, and active rear differential all received revised programming to work with the upgraded bracing and suspension tune.

Every 2021 Supra will come standard with an 8.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay. A forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking is also included. Adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitors, rear cross-traffic alert, parking sensors, navigation, wireless Apple CarPlay, and a 12-speaker 500-watt JBL audio system will be on the options list.

Toyota didn't say how much the 2021 Supra will cost when it arrives in dealerships in June, but noted it will be less expensive and more fuel efficient than the 2020 model because of the turbo-4 engine option.

Full article link
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127106_2021-toyota-supra-price-photos-specs-info

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
is it possible to merge the 10 threads about this into one? smh

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I thought that a number of people were already getting 0-60 in 3.9 with the 2020? And can't you already add strut tower supports to the front?

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Given the comparison specs shown below there really shouldn't be much of a difference (if any) with respect to 0-60 times...And 3.9 vs 4.1sec is well within test error of measurement range...

2020 vs 2021.jpg

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Given the comparison specs shown below there really shouldn't be much of a difference (if any) with respect to 0-60 times...And 3.9 vs 4.1sec is well within test error of measurement range...

2020 vs 2021.jpg
Yes, but the 2021 does weigh more. lol

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but the 2021 does weigh more. lol
LOL...yeah that 3.0 lbs is significant...ha!

I think where you'll feel the difference is at the top end above 5000 rpm ...But most folks that use a daily driver won't notice any difference...

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LOL...yeah that 3.0 lbs is significant...ha!

I think where you'll feel the difference is at the top end above 5000 rpm ...But most folks that use a daily driver won't notice any difference...
Well, unless the front was done differently on the 2020, not sure I would want any more power. When I really get on it, the front already gets a little goofy. And how fast do I need to go, not all that fast. I used to live in Nevada and back when, there were areas that had no speed limit. I thought that meant, No Speed Limit, but it really meant, up to 90mph and over that, it was reckless driving. I had a 1972 Mazda RX2 and loved that car, so smooth and quiet and for its time, nice with the get up and go. I went by a cop on the open road once doing 110, normal for the area, for me, and he didn't even look around or tap the breaks. Damn, I am glad, because at that time, I thought there really wasn't a speed limit.

So no where except the track now to really do those speeds and no where in AZ, so doing the curves etc., is the fun for me now. And I really do feel like there is more than the 335 to the wheels on the 2020.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, unless the front was done differently on the 2020, not sure I would want any more power. When I really get on it, the front already gets a little goofy. And how fast do I need to go, not all that fast. I used to live in Nevada and back when, there were areas that had no speed limit. I thought that meant, No Speed Limit, but it really meant, up to 90mph and over that, it was reckless driving. I had a 1972 Mazda RX2 and loved that car, so smooth and quiet and for its time, nice with the get up and go. I went by a cop on the open road once doing 110, normal for the area, for me, and he didn't even look around or tap the breaks. Damn, I am glad, because at that time, I thought there really wasn't a speed limit.

So no where except the track now to really do those speeds and no where in AZ, so doing the curves etc., is the fun for me now. And I really do feel like there is more than the 335 to the wheels on the 2020.
I agree :thumbsup:

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
i understand the 4 cyl cost will be less than a 6, but if they substantially cut the price on the 6 don't you think that would have more of a blowback just like in the 90s when they did a price cut on the car? Or am i just misunderstanding the article.
Sponsored