Toyota GR Supra Races Into 2021 with More Power and First-Ever Four-Cylinder Turbo Model

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Uh yeah... it sure as hell had better be faster than the Supra... when he finally takes delivery this summer if he's lucky. ;)

Although with the way traffic has become around here... I'm lucky if I can even do the speed limit most of the time - and getting there .5 secs faster doesn't really mean all that much IMO.
hahahaha. I agree.... Neighbor thinks a Supra isn't a real man's car like a Vette!
Sponsored

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. Name is Jason. Iā€™m a service tech at a toyota dealer and yes I did splurge on a 2020 Supra from my dealer with a small ADM of 1200.... yes I am pissed that the 21ā€ model is already getting changes, Iā€™m royally angry.
2021 owners should not go to the dealership where he works for service. :p

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Not to mention they're still trying to get the first pre-orders from last year out the door... I'm thinking it may be April before the C8 production is in full swing... and the ADM on any that don't get picked up by the reservers... are likely to make people faint. Could be wrong though, time will tell.
If China doesnā€™t turn their factories back on soon, there wonā€™t be many of anything rolling off the assembly lines without parts. The 2021 Supra included.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
If China doesnā€™t turn their factories back on soon, there wonā€™t be many of anything rolling off the assembly lines without parts. The 2021 Supra included.
I was trying to order some stuff off eBay and they told me nothing is coming in/out of China now because of the virus...

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
The trans is a different item, but i'll PM you when I can give a little more detail on that. I meant more that other car.
So this other car..., when could we expect you to spill some beans on this? My main question would be, is there going to be a collaboration with another brand (perhaps another German brand) to produce this car, or is it an in-house deal? I understand you can only say so much, but It's always fun to poke and prod a little. Thanks for keeping this place fun!

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Toyota have said that the 4 cylinder will be the tuners' choice. I don't believe so but would like someone to enlighten me about how tunable the 4 cylinder will be?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Toyota have said that the 4 cylinder will be the tuners' choice. I don't believe so but would like someone to enlighten me about how tunable the 4 cylinder will be?
Tuners choice in the sense that it's cheap barrier of entry. They can get a cheaper version and swap the engine with the money saved.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I got a neighbor who was bragging about his new vette being way fast than the supra. lol He put an order in last year.. I ask him everyday, where is your vette? hahahaha
I wonder if he ordered his with the matched CF ground effects package... because they just sent out notices that no one is getting those... for the whole model year. "Hopefully available late 2021..." I believe was the prediction.

If you think there's a ton of "growing pains" in the first release of a Bimmeryota... consider that at least Toyota is a leader in the initial quality metric... though, to be fair, GM is much better than they used to be. Still they are fairly equivalent to BMW in that respect so not all that impressive perhaps. ;)

EDIT: I guess I'm a bit behind the times... just checked the 2019 charts... and Toyota and BMW are both decently behind Chevrolet in that regard now! Ouch. :oops: I guess I was thinking of the VDS results not the IQS one. Too bad Genesis doesn't have a 400HP FR or MR coupe platform arriving any time soon. LOL!

Last edited:

harddrivin1le

First Name
Pete Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobahn
Letā€™s be honest here whatā€™s really the difference between 4.1 and 3.9 not much if thereā€™s a price increase for the 21 3.0 then it all evens out in the end.
The 2021 car's trap speed will be some 5-6 MPH faster.

All races don't end at 60 MPH.

At speed (especially from 80 MPH and up), the 2021 car will decisively pull on the 2020, realizing that the 2021 car is some 50 - 60 HP stronger (at the crank).

The differences in those two engines are extensive.

harddrivin1le

First Name
Pete Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobahn
There is no point with the 6 port manifold. B58c has a sort of inbuilt (into engine block) manifold to 2 ports, so both ports can connect directly to the twin scroll turbo. It is actually the better more efficient design.

The new motor changes this side of the engine block to the traditional one with one port for each cylinder, necessitating the 6 port exhaust manifold to pipe it to the turbo. The main difference is that the piping will be steel as opposed to the aluminium alloy engine block and can be modified (replaced with aftermarket 6 port exhaust manifold). The advantage is that it will be stronger and can handle higher pressure, but will be heavier.

Wow... My matte grey is quite rare currently... Now it will be really hard to find. Sounds good to me, always preferred having a rare coloured car.
The six (external) port head and manifold flow far more efficiently. It's a substantially more expensive set-up. BMW wouldn't go to the added trouble and expense if the cheaper set-up were "the better and more efficient design.

And I'll note that the 6 port engines uses a superior "split path" cooling system with dedicated hardware, a high flow fuel system, lower compression pistons that permit higher peak boost levels, etc.

From BMW tech training manuals.

head.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 11.07.41 AM.jpg

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
The six (external) port head and manifold flow far more efficiently. It's a substantially more expensive set-up. BMW wouldn't go to the added trouble and expense if the cheaper set-up were "the better and more efficient design.
I was talking about mechanical and manufacturing design being better and more efficient (not exhaust flow, which is not clear to me in stock form).

- better fuel consumption (faster engine warm up)
- less weight, aluminium vs steel.
- cheaper, exhaust manifold connecting 6 ports to turbo not required.
- more reliable - 2 seal/gaskets vs 8.
- simpler disassembly or change.

As mentioned previously, the exhaust manifold has its advantages too, since it is steel it is stronger and can handle higher pressure and heat. Also, can be swapped for aftermarket. I.e. overall better for mods.

harddrivin1le

First Name
Pete Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobahn
I was talking about mechanical and manufacturing design being better and more efficient (not exhaust flow, which is arguable).

- better fuel consumption (faster engine warm up)
- less weight, aluminium vs steel.
- cheaper, exhaust manifold connecting 6 ports to turbo not required.
- more reliable - 2 seal/gaskets vs 8.
- simpler disassembly or change.

As mentioned previously, the exhaust manifold has its advantages too, since it is steel it is stronger and can handle higher pressure and heat.
There's nothing about the exhaust flow that's "arguably." As a retired mechanical design engineer, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the 6 port head flows much more efficiently.

What's "aluminum vs. steel?" Both engines use steel exhaust manifolds, an aluminum head and aluminum block.

What do you mean by "2 seal/gaskets vs 8?" In all likelihood, both engines use a single gasket to make the exhaust manifold to the head.

What does "simpler disassembly or change" mean? Please quantify that.

The bottom line is that you're in denial because you own a 2020 Supra.
Sponsored