Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
^I don't see what the big deal is. Common sense that a hotter Supra is on its way. Other automakers do this as well. While the 8 series was testing BMW also put out events, teasers, and press release for the upcoming M8. ;)
I mean, take for example the Corvette right? Everyone anticipates various models of Corvettes after the base launch (i.e., Z06, ZR1, etc..) because there is a HUGE market for base Corvettes that GM doesn't need to worry about sales of the base cars initially. The Supra is different, in that most (if not all) buyers who can afford to spend $60k+ on a base car will surely be scoping the top tier car, not a base car. Me personally, I could care less for a "base" or "entry level" Supra. Defeats the whole "appeal" of the car. Ask yourself this....if a MKIV Supra was still in production, would you go for the base non-turbo, or 6spd TT? It's why everyone wants a 6spd TT to this day.

no kidding, it is pretty commonplace...when the FK8 Type R was being released plenty of folks still bought the Civic Si..

@PerformanceSound clearly there are conflicting bits of information everywhere but none of that is backed up by what Tada-san has stated in all his recent interviews. He has stated on multiple occasions that Toyota & BMW have developed separate paths which sounds like they aren't going to use the same parts bin.. Plus to be fair to the article, it is does not state the "SAME" engine will be used, it just says a 6 cylinder will be shared, they could be referring to just the layout and not the actual engine model..
"The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox". When I read something like that, that means they will share the; block, head, transmission, and accessories. If that's not exactly the same drivetrain, I dunno what little changes would suffice them to be "different". A ECU calibration and suspension doesn't count as drivetrain.

I think they wouldn't release the car unless it is acceptable jn its price range.

A70 kept hinting at a GRMN version that would cost money. Like 10-20k ln top of what was made.

So if the affordable version is great by all means and a 70k version exists that just shits on everyone else, that is a steep money upgrade by any means.

And if this does beat the GTR, wouldn't you want Nissan to address it on the next gen?
I would love to see a "GRMN" or whatever they decide to call it, top-tier version released at the same time for $70k. I would be all over that. As for Nissan to respond.....they will do so, and do so in a very aggressive manner. Let's put it this way, Toyota is planning to develop a Supra to compete with a 10yr old R35 design that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds? I am confident the MKV Supra top tier would not outgun a GTR, but if it did, I would hate to see what the next Gen GTR would do in response. :eek:

Last edited:

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
I mean, take for example the Corvette right? Everyone anticipates various models of Corvettes after the base launch (i.e., Z06, ZR1, etc..) because there is a HUGE market for base Corvettes that GM doesn't need to worry about sales of the base cars initially. The Supra is different, in that most (if not all) buyers who can afford to spend $60k+ on a base car will surely be scoping the top tier car, not a base car. Me personally, I could care less for a "base" or "entry level" Supra. Defeats the whole "appeal" of the car. Ask yourself this....if a MKIV Supra was still in production, would you go for the base non-turbo, or 6spd TT? It's why everyone wants a 6spd TT to this day.

"The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox". When I read something like that, that means they will share the; block, head, transmission, and accessories. If that's not exactly the same drivetrain, I dunno what little changes would suffice them to be "different". A ECU calibration and suspension doesn't count as drivetrain.

I would love to see a "GRMN" or whatever they decide to call it, top-tier version released at the same time for $70k. I would be all over that. As for Nissan to respond.....they will do so, and do so in a very aggressive manner. Let's put it this way, Toyota is planning to develop a Supra to compete with a 10yr old design that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds? I am confident the MKV Supra top tier would not outgun a GTR, but if it did, I would hate to see what the next Gen GTR would do in response. :eek:
^Good thing you don't call the shots at Toyota/GR then.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
You guys gotta remember its not just tuners who will buy this car. Just like there was a market for an NA auto supra before. There will be a market for a base model.

Some people just want the car, they dont care about all the extras. Especially if they really want it and just care about the monthly payment.

I do believe there is a large ask for a top tier (myself included) but there are other buyers aside from the tuning community.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
The new Supra will be a very good race car build base, for lightweight handling, acceleration and high-speed. But I am still disappointed it won't get double wishbone front suspension.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You guys gotta remember its not just tuners who will buy this car. Just like there was a market for an NA auto supra before. There will be a market for a base model.

Some people just want the car, they dont care about all the extras. Especially if they really want it and just care about the monthly payment.

I do believe there is a large ask for a top tier (myself included) but there are other buyers aside from the tuning community.
This.

Let the car be taken for a ride by the press and community, have a warm reception and when people think, man, what else can this car do? Release a GRMN version that answers just that. Though, I can't imagine the Supra being able to launch under 3 seconds at that price point. If anything, if it can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds while maintaining a low curb weight, then that's something to keep an eye on for track use, not just drag strips.

Unless this 3JZ will somehow crank such power.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^Good thing you don't call the shots at Toyota/GR then.
Iā€™ll be the first to say ā€œI told u soā€ when no one gives a damn about the base or entry level MKVā€™s.....especially at $60k, and news of a $70k top tier ā€œGTR killerā€ model shortly to follow. Remember, a base model MKV Supra is not starting at $30k like a Nissan Z with 330hp, or $55k like a Vette with 455hp. From what the unofficial rumors are, $60k for 335hp base! Are buyers really gonna penny pintch $10k for what is rumored to be a substantial bump in overall performance to the base model?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™ll be the first to say ā€œI told u soā€ when no one gives a damn about the base or entry level MKVā€™s.....especially at $60k, and news of a $70k top tier ā€œGTR killerā€ model shortly to follow. Remember, a base model MKV Supra is not starting at $30k like a Nissan Z with 330hp, or $55k like a Vette with 455hp. From what the unofficial rumors are, $60k for 335hp base!
See note above but reminder that A70 listed the motor cranking 350 at the moment with a chance to reliably handle 750 HP after tuning. Also, Toyota USA might want more power to fend off the highway monsters in the US so it can be bumped to 425-450

Unless there's something I'm missing and the ECU is impossible to crack, I think the base model might be able to do some serious damage.if tuners get a hold of it, among other consumers who want the car for styling and amenities alone.

Again, I'd be shocked if a 500HP+ Supra comes around after the initial run and costs 70-75k. I'll be entirely floored but who knows, Toyota hasn't given us a damn thing about this vehicle after 4 years of test driving.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, I'd be shocked if a 500HP+ Supra comes around after the initial run and costs 70-75k. I'll be entirely floored but who knows, Toyota hasn't given us a damn thing about this vehicle after 4 years of test driving.
Toyota would have the market cornered....at 500HP+ for $70-$75k IMPORT...they would have other car makers scrambling to produce equivalent performing cars....for the same price.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota would have the market cornered....at 500HP+ for $70-$75k IMPORT...they would have other car makers scrambling to produce equivalent performing cars....for the same price.
Again, if the car is coming in at 425HP with all that TSS stuff and weighing 3250, I'd be shocked if it came in at around 55k cause it would be affordable but also a demon on tracks, not drag strips and still be a GT car on the weekdays.

But if Toyota were to bump up the power to 550-600 with a reliable tune that won't distengrate via VANOS after a couple thousand miles and still is reliable, while somehow saving more weight?At 70-80k? I'd think the market would have to be shilling out money to compete at a loss but would mean a good thing for the enthusiasts/

After Toyota won Lemans, I think they showed how important racing is to them and not just doing it for promo. We'll see on the upcoming GTE class where the Supra should be participating right?

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Guys, I dont believe the Supra ever intended to be or will be trying to be a Nissan GTR killer...the higher HP model, GR or whatever it is called, may not ever come out, if it does I suspect it is 2-4 years away....

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™ll be the first to say ā€œI told u soā€ when no one gives a damn about the base or entry level MKVā€™s.....especially at $60k, and news of a $70k top tier ā€œGTR killerā€ model shortly to follow. Remember, a base model MKV Supra is not starting at $30k like a Nissan Z with 330hp, or $55k like a Vette with 455hp. From what the unofficial rumors are, $60k for 335hp base! Are buyers really gonna penny pintch $10k for what is rumored to be a substantial bump in overall performance to the base model?
Standard Yaris costs 12.5k GBP. GRMN Yaris costs $26k GBP.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Standard Yaris costs 12.5k GBP. GRMN Yaris costs $26k GBP.
Toyota said their cars will be;

Base > GR Sport (Cosmetic) > GR > GRMN

Taking the JDM 86 as an example, standard 86s range btwn $24k-$31k (complete bare bones - GT Limited). No GR Sport or full GRMN for comparison, but a GR 86 is $45k.

Supposing the A90 actually come in at $60k, you really think that a GRMN "GTR Killer" is going to be any less than $100k?