Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

sedanlova

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk4 twins
“will be a pure sports car – practicality and comfort were almost not considered.”

I'll be glad with that. In my case, Supra will not be a daily driver.

Toyota won't be able to please everyone's vision of the Supra.

I hope that Toyota offers the best Supra under the present circumstances (BMW) for the best price possible...under 50k.
Also, with the facelift, offer a Wide Body GTR fighter fully engineered by Toyota for $100k.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So many recent rumors + leaks, new stuff, old stuff, a mix of both on just about everything about this car. Example) On Monday its a $50K Toyota Supra, Tuesday its a $65K BMW Supra, and on Friday it's a HYBRID. On Wednesday it has a DCT and manual transmission. On Sunday it has a ZF8 Auto ONLY. I've been following this car on daily (for the most part) since the FT-1 debut as many have. I have read about all the Inline 4/6, V6, V8, Hybrid/AWD, transmission options, etc.

I'm starting to think stuff is being leaked by Toyota on purpose both true & false info. 4+ Yrs after the FT-1 debut and the MIND games for this upcoming car are still real. It seems like a non ending whirlpool of news+rumors that keeps resurfacing over and over. I hope you're entertained Toyota.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
So many recent rumors + leaks, new stuff, old stuff, a mix of both on just about everything about this car. Example) On Monday its a $50K Toyota Supra, Tuesday its a $65K BMW Supra, and on Friday it's a HYBRID. On Wednesday it has a DCT and manual transmission. On Sunday it has a ZF8 Auto ONLY. I've been following this car on daily (for the most part) since the FT-1 debut as many have. I have read about all the Inline 4/6, V6, V8, Hybrid/AWD, transmission options, etc.

I'm starting to think stuff is being leaked by Toyota on purpose both true & false info. 4+ Yrs after the FT-1 debut and the MIND games for this upcoming car are still real. It seems like a non ending whirlpool of news+rumors that keeps resurfacing over and over. I hope you're entertained Toyota.
By Hybrid, i think they mean a mix of BMW and Toyota's technologies

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Must be the car from big maker with the hardest birth ever.

dshandy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Chevy Camaro SS, 2014 Audi A5
What "voluptuous rear wings" of the GR Supra Concept is Tada referring to? That entire fixed wing, or the rounded quarter panels?

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
:eek: OMG!!!!!!! With the cheap ass butt ugly mirrors out of the way, I have noticed another flaw: cheap ass butt ugly BMW door handles!!!!!

Needs a quick Lexus LC door handle swap.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
My turn...:p

Key things I got from the news above are:

- "The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox".

This bothers me more than the fact that BMW is producing the engine. In other words, I hated the fact that the MKV Supra was going to have a BMW-derived engine, but I got past it....now, the MKV Supra will share the exact same engine and gearbox as the Z4. What happened to "one will have a B58 and the other a M57, etc..."???

- “I would like to see something like that eventually,” he smiles. “We are preparing for it”.

Why on earth would you tell people there is a better car coming prior to launching an anticipated car??? It's like Ferrari saying, "behold...the new $2million dollar La Ferrari!....with a $2.1million dollar version on it's way." This is stupid...Stupid....STUPID!!! All versions of this car need to be released at once, otherwise no one will give a hoot about it and will only wait for the top trim. The sales and marketing gurus will love this....:doh:. I could be very wrong, but...aren't we all waiting for the "big-boy-toy" version of this car???

- "The versions of Gazoo Racing (could be called GR and GRMN ) will mark a qualitative jump and in the case of the most powerful, the aspirations will be enormous: main objective, the next Nissan GT-R."

:rofl: :bs:....not because I love the GTR, but because Nissan will never let that happen.

Last edited:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
^I don't see what the big deal is. Common sense that a hotter Supra is on its way. Other automakers do this as well. While the 8 series was testing BMW also put out events, teasers, and press release for the upcoming M8. ;)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
no kidding, it is pretty commonplace...when the FK8 Type R was being released plenty of folks still bought the Civic Si..

@PerformanceSound clearly there are conflicting bits of information everywhere but none of that is backed up by what Tada-san has stated in all his recent interviews. He has stated on multiple occasions that Toyota & BMW have developed separate paths which sounds like they aren't going to use the same parts bin.. Plus to be fair to the article, it is does not state the "SAME" engine will be used, it just says a 6 cylinder will be shared, they could be referring to just the layout and not the actual engine model..

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My turn...:p

Key things I got from the news above are:

- "The Supra and new BMW Z4 will share a straight-six engine and gearbox".

This bothers me more than the fact that BMW is producing the engine. In other words, I hated the fact that the MKV Supra was going to have a BMW-derived engine, but I got past it....now, the MKV Supra will share the exact same engine and gearbox as the Z4. What happened to "one will have a B58 and the other a M57, etc..."???

- “I would like to see something like that eventually,” he smiles. “We are preparing for it”.

Why on earth would you tell people there is a better car coming prior to launching an anticipated car??? It's like Ferrari saying, "behold...the new $2million dollar La Ferrari!....with a $2.1million dollar version on it's way." This is stupid...Stupid....STUPID!!! All versions of this car need to be released at once, otherwise no one will give a hoot about it and will only wait for the top trim. The sales and marketing gurus will love this....:doh:. I could be very wrong, but...aren't we all waiting for the "big-boy-toy" version of this car???

- "The versions of Gazoo Racing (could be called GR and GRMN ) will mark a qualitative jump and in the case of the most powerful, the aspirations will be enormous: main objective, the next Nissan GT-R."

:rofl: :bs:....not because I love the GTR, but because Nissan will never let that happen.
I think they wouldn't release the car unless it is acceptable jn its price range.

A70 kept hinting at a GRMN version that would cost money. Like 10-20k ln top of what was made.

So if the affordable version is great by all means and a 70k version exists that just shits on everyone else, that is a steep money upgrade by any means.

And if this does beat the GTR, wouldn't you want Nissan to address it on the next gen?

aeronSUPRAco

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra(soon)

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
If practicality anf comfort were almost not considered, does it mean that the Supra is only good as a weekend car and on track? I would like to get one and consider using it for everyday driving.
I think a bit of this was lost in translation. You can't completely ignore practicality and comfort. To me it seems as though practicality and comfort were an afterthought and came second to performance and handling. You shouldn't expect a Lexus style experience but shouldn't be too farfetched to daily.
Sponsored