Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
The 200 is probably the number for Japan. I would expect the U.S. to get more than 200, or none at all.
I would agree. I hate seeing rumors like this because it makes me want to wait, but I've already been almost 2 years without a sports car. I plan to buy a 2022 but if this thing gets an s58 i would wait the extra year. Hoping some more concrete leaks come out within the next year.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I would agree. I hate seeing rumors like this because it makes me want to wait, but I've already been almost 2 years without a sports car. I plan to buy a 2022 but if this thing gets an s58 i would wait the extra year. Hoping some more concrete leaks come out within the next year.
You'd be waiting 2 more years. If it comes out in 2023, it would be released (here) as a 2024 model most likely, in the second half of the year. I waited an extra year for the Refraction (then rumored as Misano) and it sucked lol. I'm so glad the wait is nearly over.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Both good and not so good news here.

Now the Supra may be discontinued with no replacement in the actual year 2025 (thought MY2026 would be the last for production but might this mean we only see it go to MY2025 in actual year 2024....?)?

And the GRMN will only come out at the very end of production? And production will be limited to only 200 units? Also DCT only (which can be expected but itā€™s still a letdown since the new M3/M4 will get a manual option).

All of this makes me really wonder if other Supra markets will get the GRMN at all. Even they do it looks like they will be hard to even find for sale on top of the usual price gouging from dealers.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ Yeah. Ouch...

I mean, Iā€™m glad that it will be made and get the S58 but with such low production numbers, $110k+, still no manual and all MKV production ending in actual year 2025 with no A100 in the works for now... I guess BMW really wants this variant to be severely limited.

On the other hand such low production numbers are historically consistent with past GRMN cars.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I wonder how Gazoo racing plans on completing with M, AMG, and RS models with such low production volume on GRMN models. Yeah they may compete performance wise but that doesn't matter when those models are difficult to get a hold of and they do not benefit from economies of scale with such limited production.

For example, why would someone pay ~$112k for a GRMN Supra when the upcoming M2 will be much easier and cheaper to get your hands on with probably similar performance? It seems this strategy only sells to collectors.

Also moving forward, it is hard to think of GRMN as a serious performance contender when they aren't using their own motors, platforms, or electronics. Their only tangible value in the market is their exclusivity and not their performance.

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
112k seems unrealistic. At that price point you need to be better than the equivalent Porsche (e.g., 911, cayman GT4 with pdk). Both of which would actually be cheaper.

Even with limited production thatā€™s a tough sell. I also really hope this car is not unobtanium. Like I get that they wonā€™t sell a lot, but I donā€™t want it to be so limited that dealers charge 50k over... That would instantly turn me off and get me to look elsewhere, especially at that price point.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
112k seems unrealistic. At that price point you need to be better than the equivalent Porsche (e.g., 911, cayman GT4 with pdk). Both of which would actually be cheaper.

Even with limited production thatā€™s a tough sell. I also really hope this car is not unobtanium. Like I get that they wonā€™t sell a lot, but I donā€™t want it to be so limited that dealers charge 50k over... That would instantly turn me off and get me to look elsewhere, especially at that price point.
Yeah I agree $112k is unrealistic in the marketplace, I was just converting 12 million yen to USD. If I remember correctly, the GRMN 86 was double the price of the regular 86 so who knows

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
To be honest I don't think it's unrealistic... If they make it just to say they made it. As a special edition with lightweight materials. As much as I don't want it to be that much because no way could I afford it but I could see it

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Both good and not so good news here.

Now the Supra may be discontinued with no replacement in the actual year 2025 (thought MY2026 would be the last for production but might this mean we only see it go to MY2025 in actual year 2024....?)?

And the GRMN will only come out at the very end of production? And production will be limited to only 200 units? Also DCT only (which can be expected but itā€™s still a letdown since the new M3/M4 will get a manual option).

All of this makes me really wonder if other Supra markets will get the GRMN at all. Even they do it looks like they will be hard to even find for sale on top of the usual price gouging from dealers.
I dont understand why production would end in 2025. Is that when the agreement between BMW and Toyota is over? Or why stop producing even if they can't agree on higher tier trims?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
To be honest I don't think it's unrealistic... If they make it just to say they made it. As a special edition with lightweight materials. As much as I don't want it to be that much because no way could I afford it but I could see it
What people are forgetting is that those are Japanese market prices. Not U.S. market prices. Generally the same car is cheaper here. Question is, will we even get it?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I dont understand why production would end in 2025. Is that when the agreement between BMW and Toyota is over? Or why stop producing even if they can't agree on higher tier trims?
Because both BMW and Toyota planned the MKV Supra and Z4 production cycle that way. BMW no longer wants to produce a Z4 and Toyota and Tetsuya Tada donā€™t want this generation Supra to ever be a hybrid which is a company-wide mandate from MY2026 onward. So for the Supra at least production will end just before their whole lineup goes all-hybrid or offers at least one hybrid trim level for each and every model.

...which would mean to produce it longer than planned there would have to be substantial investment in a hybrid A90 right now... which Tada-san is not willing to do in order to keep the A90 series as a pure gasoline-turbo only performance model.

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Thereā€™s still a lot of time for the details to be hashed out. But an S58 in a Supra should be good news to everyone I just hope

- 5000+ units in the US
- Price below $80k

(Then if we could get the same digital dash as the new M cars that would be icing on the cake)

5000 might sound like a lot but thereā€™s nothing holding bmw back loook at how many M3s they sell