Japan 2020 = U.S. 2021

Advertisement

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium Nitro Yellow, 2021 Lexus GX 460 Premium White
model cycle ends 2025? only 200 units of the GRMN?! from what I gather, it will be nearly impossible to get a GRMN and the A90 Supra will become a classic if they do not continue building it after 2025... hmmm. not sure what to believe.

Teemc

Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Avensis, Lexus IS 300h
Yeah I find it hard to believe as well that it'll use the M3/M4 engine with a DCT. I remember A70TTR saying that the Supra GT4 is supposed to be the testbed for the GRMN, and that sounds nothing like the S58.

Also, 12 million yen? That is expensive lol

F1 Silver Arrows

Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I feel like these rumors are wrong on so many levels.

Why the hell would it be a DCT when one, Toyota never wanted a DCT in the base GR Supra in the first place, and two, all of BMW's M cars that have the S58 engine will have the ZF 8-speed automatic. Another thing is, we've been told in an indirect and direct manner an infinite amount of times that the Supra will have the B58 engine and will be based off the Supra GT4.

Also, there won't be a new Supra after? I'm pretty sure we got told point-blank from A70TTR that we are in fact getting a new Supra (probably built 100% by Toyota too), and there seems to be a few other sources that corroborate this too.

Only 200 units? WTF? Are they insane? Don't they realize that if they only build 200 units there will be an actual war? Also I wouldn't be surprised that if this is the case (it better not be) that majority of the units will go to Japan (or will be Japan only) because they'll probably think about their own market first. I know that in past generations some trims of the Supra was only for Japan or for other parts of the world only, but at least they did give North America and other continents some stuff too. This seems like we won't be getting shit and the thought of that pisses me the hell off.

Finally, I don't have any issues with the power output. In fact, this is what I've expected and imagined for a Supra GRMN and I've previously postulated that the Supra GRMN will be the modern A80 Supra Turbo but on steroids and that seems to be the case. Anyways that's not the point. My question is do you guys really think BMW would be okay with giving Toyota a bespoke engine and allow them to tune it for a higher power output than BMW's own M cars (this rumor suggests that this engine will be even more powerful than the Competition trim S58)? It seems like a recipe for BMW to get fucked over real good unless the rumor of the Supra GRMN being 200 units only are true, then BMW wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of competition.

Last edited:

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
The 200 is probably the number for Japan. I would expect the U.S. to get more than 200, or none at all.
I would agree. I hate seeing rumors like this because it makes me want to wait, but I've already been almost 2 years without a sports car. I plan to buy a 2022 but if this thing gets an s58 i would wait the extra year. Hoping some more concrete leaks come out within the next year.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I would agree. I hate seeing rumors like this because it makes me want to wait, but I've already been almost 2 years without a sports car. I plan to buy a 2022 but if this thing gets an s58 i would wait the extra year. Hoping some more concrete leaks come out within the next year.
You'd be waiting 2 more years. If it comes out in 2023, it would be released (here) as a 2024 model most likely, in the second half of the year. I waited an extra year for the Refraction (then rumored as Misano) and it sucked lol. I'm so glad the wait is nearly over.

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
Both good and not so good news here.

Now the Supra may be discontinued with no replacement in the actual year 2025 (thought MY2026 would be the last for production but might this mean we only see it go to MY2025 in actual year 2024....?)?

And the GRMN will only come out at the very end of production? And production will be limited to only 200 units? Also DCT only (which can be expected but it’s still a letdown since the new M3/M4 will get a manual option).

All of this makes me really wonder if other Supra markets will get the GRMN at all. Even they do it looks like they will be hard to even find for sale on top of the usual price gouging from dealers.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
^^ Yeah. Ouch...

I mean, I’m glad that it will be made and get the S58 but with such low production numbers, $110k+, still no manual and all MKV production ending in actual year 2025 with no A100 in the works for now... I guess BMW really wants this variant to be severely limited.

On the other hand such low production numbers are historically consistent with past GRMN cars.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I wonder how Gazoo racing plans on completing with M, AMG, and RS models with such low production volume on GRMN models. Yeah they may compete performance wise but that doesn't matter when those models are difficult to get a hold of and they do not benefit from economies of scale with such limited production.

For example, why would someone pay ~$112k for a GRMN Supra when the upcoming M2 will be much easier and cheaper to get your hands on with probably similar performance? It seems this strategy only sells to collectors.

Also moving forward, it is hard to think of GRMN as a serious performance contender when they aren't using their own motors, platforms, or electronics. Their only tangible value in the market is their exclusivity and not their performance.

Advertisement

Advertisement