Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I think the magazine article is suggesting it will be a MY2023 model, not a MY2024 model.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I think the magazine article is suggesting it will be a MY2023 model, not a MY2024 model.
I'm pretty sure Japan goes by calendar year. A 2021 Supra built in July of this year would still be sold as a 2020 in Japan. January they become 2021. So a MY24 GRMN for us would still be sold as a 2023 till the end of the year.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
^^ If that's the case and Toyota actually pushes the GRMN to a MY2024 for the USA then that will leave only three model years for it to be sold... if the MKV really will be retired or replaced after MY2026.

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/167434

Finally grabbed!! Supra GRMN appearance information capture! Demonstrate 520 horsepower with the M3 engine!!!

■M3/M4 in-line 6-cylinder 3L turbo installed will be decided!!!
 The Supra powertrain is made by BMW. Then, of course, it is "M" that emerges as a high performance version.

Exactly as it is, it was decided that the Supra GRMN, which will be introduced in 2023 in a limited number of 200, will be equipped with an inline 6-cylinder 3L turbo that will be installed in the M3/M4.

The current M4CS shows 460ps/61.2kgm, but the performance has been further improved for the next M4, and the maximum output for the Supra GRMN is 520ps and the maximum torque is 62kgm.

The transmission to be combined is a 7-speed M-DCT, and it was said that the BMW side initially showed difficulty in supplying this powertrain to Toyota, but Tetsuya Tada said that it was achieved with the efforts of CE.

Naturally, the GR development team is fully committed to tuning chassis related to the high power unit, and the knowledge gained at the Nur 24 Hours race will be utilized to the maximum.

What is interesting is that there is no plan to install this M unit in the BMW Z4, which was developed in parallel.

On the BMW side, it seems that the aim is to utilize this performance with the new closed-body M3/M4 instead of the open Z4.

There is also information that Supra will complete its model life in 2025 and that there will be no next model.

The Supra GRMN, which will appear at least in 2023, will be the final edition of the current Supra. Is the price about 12 million yen?

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
From what I understand when it came to the Supra:

Japan 2019 = U.S. 2020
Japan 2020 = U.S. 2021

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
model cycle ends 2025? only 200 units of the GRMN?! from what I gather, it will be nearly impossible to get a GRMN and the A90 Supra will become a classic if they do not continue building it after 2025... hmmm. not sure what to believe.

Teemc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Avensis, Lexus IS 300h
Yeah I find it hard to believe as well that it'll use the M3/M4 engine with a DCT. I remember A70TTR saying that the Supra GT4 is supposed to be the testbed for the GRMN, and that sounds nothing like the S58.

Also, 12 million yen? That is expensive lol

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
I feel like these rumors are wrong on so many levels.

Why the hell would it be a DCT when one, Toyota never wanted a DCT in the base GR Supra in the first place, and two, all of BMW's M cars that have the S58 engine will have the ZF 8-speed automatic. Another thing is, we've been told in an indirect and direct manner an infinite amount of times that the Supra will have the B58 engine and will be based off the Supra GT4.

Also, there won't be a new Supra after? I'm pretty sure we got told point-blank from A70TTR that we are in fact getting a new Supra (probably built 100% by Toyota too), and there seems to be a few other sources that corroborate this too.

Only 200 units? WTF? Are they insane? Don't they realize that if they only build 200 units there will be an actual war? Also I wouldn't be surprised that if this is the case (it better not be) that majority of the units will go to Japan (or will be Japan only) because they'll probably think about their own market first. I know that in past generations some trims of the Supra was only for Japan or for other parts of the world only, but at least they did give North America and other continents some stuff too. This seems like we won't be getting shit and the thought of that pisses me the hell off.

Finally, I don't have any issues with the power output. In fact, this is what I've expected and imagined for a Supra GRMN and I've previously postulated that the Supra GRMN will be the modern A80 Supra Turbo but on steroids and that seems to be the case. Anyways that's not the point. My question is do you guys really think BMW would be okay with giving Toyota a bespoke engine and allow them to tune it for a higher power output than BMW's own M cars (this rumor suggests that this engine will be even more powerful than the Competition trim S58)? It seems like a recipe for BMW to get fucked over real good unless the rumor of the Supra GRMN being 200 units only are true, then BMW wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of competition.
Sponsored

Last edited: