Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT ??
I really hope that's an option as well on the GRMN. I also hope it would not be the *only* MKV with an I-6 engine and manual transmission given that the 200 examples will be incredibly rare, very expensive and more or less garage queens.

OP
OP
supraboi

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/259869

■ 2023 The last Supra is now available in a straight 6 turbo, 520 horsepower "GRMN specification" !!!
● Toyota Supra GRMN

The improved model was released in October last year, and the 3L turbo engine has been powered up from 340ps to 387ps at once, but the best car scoop team has already caught further information.

The GRMN specification, which has been rumored since its debut, is on standby. Zubari will be launched in 2023, limited to 200 units.

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_01A.jpg
The GRMN specification will appear in 2023 as the last model of the Supra. Making full use of the knowledge gained from participating in the race, the car will boast overwhelming potential (the image is the predicted CG by the best car editorial department).

The engine is a high-power version of the straight-six, 3L turbo that is installed in the new BMW M3 / M4 introduced in Japan the other day. Information that the Supra GRMN has a maximum torque of around 67.0kgm at 520ps.

The M3 and M4 display 510ps, but the information in the best car is 520ps. GR may make its own tuning.

The transmission to be combined is a 7-speed DCT, which is the first 2-pedal MT for a Toyota car (current Supra is an 8-speed AT).

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_04.jpg
The normal but glamorous body is likely to be even wider. A large GT wing will also be installed (the image is a predicted CG by the best car editorial department)

Of course, the GR development team is currently energetically testing to strengthen the body and suspension along with the power-up.

In 2019, Morizou (President Akio Toyoda) will take the steering wheel and participate in the Nürburgring 24-hour race, and will feed back the knowledge gained from these racing activities to commercial vehicles.

When it comes to loading a high-power engine that exceeds 500ps, it is common to switch to 4WD, but of course the Supra remains FR. Moreover, it is not easy to secure stability with a wheelbase that is unusually short in this class of 2470 mm. I'm always curious about what kind of car it will be.

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_05.jpg
Information that the engine has a maximum output of 520ps and a maximum torque of around 62.0kgm. What kind of performance will it perform?

More importantly, the Supra is said to be the last evolution of this GRMN specification.

It will be released in 2023 and will be discontinued in 2025 including the normal grade. There are no plans for the future, and Supra will finish its role.

In the future, sports cars with pure gasoline engines will disappear one after another.

Of course, new sports cars will be born in the future with electric cars such as hybrids and EVs, and I'm really looking forward to it, but it is certain that the end of an era will come.

For that reason, the existence of this Supra GRMN is valuable, and the limited 200 cars are likely to be a fierce competition. The price is expected to be around 12 to 13 million yen.

● Supra GRMN
・ Overall length x width x height: 4410 x 1900 x 1285mm
・ Wheelbase: 2470mm
・ Vehicle weight: 1580kg
・ Engine: Straight 6, 3L + turbo
・ Maximum output / maximum torque: 520ps / 67.0kgm
・ Drive system: FR
・Estimated release date: 2023
・ Estimated price: 12 million to 13 million yen

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Even heavier? I think they should try to make it lighter, not heavier, targetting 14xx kg. I know its nothing confirmed at this point but bestcar got some pretty good sources overall, they may be right, time will tell.

S58 + 520hp + this wheelbase = brutal to drive :D
Also wonder what aero to keep this in check. And finally a DCT for ultimate performance! ZF8 is cool overall, but its not as fast as true DCT.

Would love to own one of those, the ultimate track Supra, but the price... 7mil Yen is for 3.0 atm in JP, so its estimated to be 70-80% more expensive + limited, alsmot unobtainable :/
Still, something to dream about ;)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
13Million Yen is about $119,295 today but who knows what that would equate to in 2 more years. I'll give Toyota a huge A+ on sending off the final MKV Supra with a bang. However, 200 units at 120K will spend majority of their car lives being tucked away or flipped from owner to owner.

Curious to see what this thing will do with that much power and a short wheelbase. Cayman 718 GT4 can take advantage because of it's MR setup but this car as a FR should be interesting.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aside from the good news about the Supra GRMN what bothers me about this article is the continued suggestion that Toyota will just kill off the Supra altogether after the A90.... after they *just* brought it back. That would be pretty shortsighted if true.

There should be an A100 successor after we’ve celebrated the final model year of this generation.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Even heavier? I think they should try to make it lighter, not heavier, targetting 14xx kg. I know its nothing confirmed at this point but bestcar got some pretty good sources overall, they may be right, time will tell.

S58 + 520hp + this wheelbase = brutal to drive :D
Also wonder what aero to keep this in check. And finally a DCT for ultimate performance! ZF8 is cool overall, but its not as fast as true DCT.

Would love to own one of those, the ultimate track Supra, but the price... 7mil Yen is for 3.0 atm in JP, so its estimated to be 70-80% more expensive + limited, alsmot unobtainable :/
Still, something to dream about ;)
They probably meant sturdier, plus they're gonna remove the luxuries from GRMN

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aside from the good news about the Supra GRMN what bothers me about this article is the continued suggestion that Toyota will just kill off the Supra altogether after the A90.... after they *just* brought it back. That would be pretty shortsighted if true.

There should be an A100 successor after we’ve celebrated the final model year of this generation.
Besides the MKIV Supra production of 9 years, the previous gens had semi short life cycles.

A50: 1978-1981
A60: 1981-1985
A70: 1986-1993

By the time the J29 finally came into production and all of the hurdles it had, I doubt we'll see another Supra successor for a while.

They probably meant sturdier, plus they're gonna remove the luxuries from GRMN

I hope, I just saw that 1580kg at the end "stats", thats why I assumed heavier. GRMN being even more stiff and hardcore is a given I think ;)
What are looking at, 1580kg=3483lbs where the 2021 Supra weighs around 3397lbs. 86 lbs seems like it would be from the wider body, S58 engine, tranny and more electronics. I would have assumed lighter too but they seem to prioritize more power instead of the whole CSL of the past.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Besides the MKIV Supra production of 9 years, the previous gens had semi short life cycles.

A50: 1978-1981
A60: 1981-1985
A70: 1986-1993

By the time the J29 finally came into production and all of the hurdles it had, I doubt we'll see another Supra successor for a while.
The only hurdle that should realistically exist for a succeeding A100 series Supra is Toyota's bleeding edge solid state battery technology. It's a given that a successor will have to be a hybrid-electric high performance model at minimum and to do it with conventional lithium-ion battery technology would detract far too much from keeping the weight down and chassis design within the ethos of what makes a Supra a Supra... even forgiving the lack of a totally non-hybrid-electric I-6 turbo engine at that point.

Toyota and Akio Toyoda should commit to that so as not to let their halo sportscar die again.

The drivetrain will of course have to change a bit (or a lot) for the model to continue (and NOW is the only time for a manual transmission option... which is still very annoyingly absent).

Anyway, slightly off topic from the GRMN model news and I *am* happy for that and the still unconfirmed specs. I'd just like to know if it'll be a mere 200 cars for Japan only or 200 cars for every major Supra market.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The only hurdle that should realistically exist for a succeeding A100 series Supra is Toyota's bleeding edge solid state battery technology. It's a given that a successor will have to be a hybrid-electric high performance model at minimum and to do it with conventional lithium-ion battery technology would detract far too much from keeping the weight down and chassis design within the ethos of what makes a Supra a Supra... even forgiving the lack of a totally non-hybrid-electric I-6 turbo engine at that point.

Toyota and Akio Toyoda should commit to that so as not to let their halo sportscar die again.

The drivetrain will of course have to change a bit (or a lot) for the model to continue (and NOW is the only time for a manual transmission option... which is still very annoyingly absent).

Anyway, slightly off topic from the GRMN model news and I *am* happy for that and the still unconfirmed specs. I'd just like to know if it'll be a mere 200 cars for Japan only or 200 cars for every major Supra market.
This is my take. The transition to the hybrid electric performance will start with the GT sedans. Look at the Audi RS e-tron GT. I was at Porsche for the Taycan unveiling and as much as a petrol head that I am, I'm actually pretty impressed by the Audi RS e-tron GT. More so that I'd be interested to drive and possibly own one.

This technology won't spill over to a sports car until majority of the major manufactures have their own version of the GER variants. When that happens, there won't be any Supra badge. It'll have it's own name, design and identity. With the current administration making an even stronger push for green energy, rising gas prices, electric technology constantly evolving at a rapid pace, this decade will be the transition period. RIP to the ICE...