Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

BrettS

Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
It's just a render. There's not really any solid information about this car or if it will even exist.
No but Bestcar was almost 100% right about the production car specs/render so they’re more believable than most of the other automotive media outlets

Advertisement

autopc25

Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Aside from the good news about the Supra GRMN what bothers me about this article is the continued suggestion that Toyota will just kill off the Supra altogether after the A90.... after they *just* brought it back. That would be pretty shortsighted if true.

There should be an A100 successor after we’ve celebrated the final model year of this generation.
More importantly, the Supra is said to be the last evolution of this GRMN specification.

It will be released in 2023 and will be discontinued in 2025 including the normal grade. There are no plans for the future, and Supra will finish its role.

In the future, sports cars with pure gasoline engines will disappear one after another.

Maybe I am reading away too much into this? 2025 and the party is over for Supra. It sounds like Toyota is insinuating this current Supra is the last of its kind. The last Supra model and the last ICE sports car from Toyota. The next Toyota sports car will probably be hybrid-electric or PHEV. Or possibly hydrogen-hybrid since it's no secret Toyota openly said they are investing in hydrogen.

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
More importantly, the Supra is said to be the last evolution of this GRMN specification.

It will be released in 2023 and will be discontinued in 2025 including the normal grade. There are no plans for the future, and Supra will finish its role.

In the future, sports cars with pure gasoline engines will disappear one after another.

Maybe I am reading away too much into this? 2025 and the party is over for Supra. It sounds like Toyota is insinuating this current Supra is the last of its kind. The last Supra model and the last ICE sports car from Toyota. The next Toyota sports car will probably be hybrid-electric or PHEV. Or possibly hydrogen-hybrid since it's no secret Toyota openly said they are investing in hydrogen.
Yes, with the model year 2026 (in the year 2025) the entire Supra MKV line including the GRMN will end production.

It would be very shortsighted of Toyota to kill off the Supra altogether after just having brought it back from a nearly 20 year hiatus.

An A100 if made not long after the A90 ends production would be a hybrid.

Toyota will have an all-hybrid lineup at minimum from model year 2026 onward... except for any of the "legacy" models that are finishing out their production runs (according to A70TTR in a post many months ago).

The Supra MKV, 2nd Gen GT86/GR86 and Corolla GR/MN with the GR Yaris' drivetrain and the JDM Corolla Touring with the GR Yaris driveline and the GR Yaris will be their very last pure ICE sports models before things start changing. The Supra A90 will end in MY2026 but I'm not sure if the rest of those will have additional model years.

Those exceptions at the ends of their cycles aside it will be all PHEVs from model year 2026 onward. That doesn't mean there can't be fun performance PHEVs going forward. By 2035 all their models will need to be EVs in many markets (though maybe not in Japan yet by then if the current regulations there do not change).

In the longer term Toyota would be expected to offer some performance with both their solid state battery and hydrogen fuel cell tech which they have been pouring money into the R&D for.

Apparently the MR2 program was restarted with a new focus to design a full EV version in the $91k USD ballpark. Sounds like it will be a very high end high performance GT at that level of cost. Huge departure from the old affordable MR2's of the past.

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

Exactly. Look what the EPA is trying to do.

jm6k

Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Yes, with the model year 2026 (in the year 2025) the entire Supra MKV line including the GRMN will end production.

It would be very shortsighted of Toyota to kill off the Supra altogether after just having brought it back from a nearly 20 year hiatus.

An A100 if made not long after the A90 ends production would be a hybrid.

Toyota will have an all-hybrid lineup at minimum from model year 2026 onward... except for any of the "legacy" models that are finishing out their production runs (according to A70TTR in a post many months ago).

The Supra MKV, 2nd Gen GT86/GR86 and Corolla GR/MN with the GR Yaris' drivetrain and the JDM Corolla Touring with the GR Yaris driveline and the GR Yaris will be their very last pure ICE sports models before things start changing. The Supra A90 will end in MY2026 but I'm not sure if the rest of those will have additional model years.

Those exceptions at the ends of their cycles aside it will be all PHEVs from model year 2026 onward. That doesn't mean there can't be fun performance PHEVs going forward. By 2035 all their models will need to be EVs in many markets (though maybe not in Japan yet by then if the current regulations there do not change).

In the longer term Toyota would be expected to offer some performance with both their solid state battery and hydrogen fuel cell tech which they have been pouring money into the R&D for.

Apparently the MR2 program was restarted with a new focus to design a full EV version in the $91k USD ballpark. Sounds like it will be a very high end high performance GT at that level of cost. Huge departure from the old affordable MR2's of the past.
Maybe I've missed a later update, but I think people misunderstood the big 2025 announcement years ago. The plan is for every vehicle in the lineup to have a hybrid or electric option available. There can still be a gas Supra, but a hybrid version would also be available.

The end is near regardless. Just not necessarily 2025. I'd expect them to lean heavily on the hybrid models and the vehicle will be developed around that, but you might still have the option if you don't want it.

LugNut

First Name
D
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The fact that this is a possibility has me stopping at stage 2 on my car. If they land the s58 AND they get the '21 ECUs cracked it'll be tough for me to not want one...a lot of "ifs" there though.

Advertisement

Advertisement