Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
@A70TTR do you think this car will still come to fruition after everything that has happened? If so, do you have any other tidbits of information you can share with us haha. Hope you are staying safe!
Sponsored

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Should still be happening, at least for now. All of my projects are still open, but being delayed is another thing.

I haven't heard any new updates on the GRMN because I haven't been around anyone. We are all working remotely (allowing me to stay safe, thanks).

Best Cars specs are more or less correct in many areas, but the car is testing with more than 400ps, which makes sense given 382 to 400 isn't much of a difference.

The cars price target though is about dead center of those yen figures at $80k.

There was talk long ago of this car having the S58 of BMW would allow it along with DCT. But given the GT4 apparently has the B58M30O, I don't think the former reached fruition.

The real question is, can the 7DT45 used in the GT4 be approved for street use or will they have to stick with an upgraded ZF8. I was about to find this out until the virus thing blew up...

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
B58B30M1 in the GT4 demonstrates how Toyota thinks the headifold will affect performance, reliability and thermal management!

Edited to to wrong engine code

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Should still be happening, at least for now. All of my projects are still open, but being delayed is another thing.

I haven't heard any new updates on the GRMN because I haven't been around anyone. We are all working remotely (allowing me to stay safe, thanks).

Best Cars specs are more or less correct in many areas, but the car is testing with more than 400ps, which makes sense given 382 to 400 isn't much of a difference.

The cars price target though is about dead center of those yen figures at $80k.

There was talk long ago of this car having the S58 of BMW would allow it along with DCT. But given the GT4 apparently has the B58M30O, I don't think the former reached fruition.

The real question is, can the 7DT45 used in the GT4 be approved for street use or will they have to stick with an upgraded ZF8. I was about to find this out until the virus thing blew up...
wow, talk about a Sopranos moment
Screen goes to black before you learn something important

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
Although dubbed as the high-performance version of the B58, the S58 is an entirely different inline6 turbo engine. Twin turbo vs the single twin-scroll turbo. I'm not sure if Toyota also signed for it with BMW but I'm not hoping or expecting for it. Toyota can just place a different Toyota engine since it will surely be a very low volume (~100) GRMN Supra version. Or just put a truly hardcore B58 engine. I think the GT4 is already as close as the GRMN version as we can get. Expect small increments here and there to keep the hype alive and media-marketing creating an international internet buzz trend out there.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Furthermore, with GRMN tuning, it is expected that it will eventually power up to near 400ps.
The picture is a 3L turbo of RZ, but GRMN is tuned based on a powerful engine of 380ps
This translates to 374hp so I am assuming it is the B58B30O1 aka B58D

Is this a typo for B58B30M0 aka the old B58?
B58M30 in the GT4 demonstrates how Toyota thinks the headifold will affect performance, reliability and thermal management!

Headifold referring to the B58B30M1 I am assuming?
Wait which engine will it have? All three of these posts are conflicting.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Definitely is a good question, but I don't have an answer to that unfortunately.

I will say I can't see them not selling it in the EU.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Since I have not heard anything up to this point regarding the B58D in Europe... will this mean no GRMN in Europe/WLTP markets?
The 2021 3.0 get different engines in different markets, no reason they won't do the same with the GRMN.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
It could also just be a tune on the current engine and/or a different turbo setup. I'm more curious to the aero bits of the GRMN though. Mainly a TRD rear wing design.

hanswurst24

First Name
Hendrik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I will say I can't see them not selling it in the EU.
Yeah, me neither, but Toyota Europe does some strange things from time to time...

The 2021 3.0 get different engines in different markets, no reason they won't do the same with the GRMN.
Possible... maybe Europe will get the bump to 382hp with a slightly tuned B58C at that time...
Definityl need to dig some more, but currently they are talking more about the GR 86 than "a possible" GRMN Supra down the road.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I’m just waiting for someone to buy one and post technical photos. Hopefully it has the S58 fuel system (which is dual B58 pumps) to greatly increase modding potential
Sponsored