Toyota releases 2024 GR Supra colors & pricing (+2k MSRP)

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I agree that businesses are in business to make money, and that every action they take is on some level a function of maintaining, generating, or laying the market conditions for current or future profit. There is no such thing as a business decision made for altruistic reasons. Every decision is made for reasons that either save them money or generate profit. Halo cars are hard marketing, racing is R&D, and public outreach / event sponsorship is soft marketing. Losses from all those things are more or less elaborate marketing and development costs. If they didn't pay dividends in other areas, the companies wouldn't engage in those activities... which is why some marques have walked away from racing, or don't do soft marketing sponsorships anymore.

It is also really the main explanation for why the 2024 model has the changes it has. Why did they drop yellow and the silver colors? Probably because they cost the company to make and the sales numbers were not high enough to maintain their existence. Why did they add the brown interior as an option now? Because they tooled up for it, it is already in their system, and it is most likely a no-cost add for them to offer it. Why did they change the wheel design for 2023? Probably because it was the easiest and cheapest way to fluff the design without major coachwork or hardware changes (plus two tone wheels probably cost more to make than single color wheels). I'm honestly shocked the 2.0 model is still alive, particularly when they have the GR86 and the new GR Corolla.

And then there's the thing staring us in the face the whole time, Toyota's obnoxious state-side allocation system. The whole thing is a big bean counter wet dream of maximizing profits and minimizing costs.

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
You couldn't be more wrong.

Everything any successful company does is by nature, profit driven. EVERYTHING. You have to look at their strategy holistically though. If Toyota builds Supras, they're profiting from it. Be it directly through sales or by improving the perception of their brand. Perhaps even simply providing a way to artificially sportify their many boring ass cars makes the Supra worthwhile. I mean that GR logo is on every fucking model these days. Why.. because it lets Joe Average in his shitty Toyota make a deep seated connection to the "halo" GR car he will never be able to own.

You think Ferrari is in F1 for the prize money?
You think Apple donates to flood victims because they're inherently altruistic?
You think Google collects its data about us because its got our best interests at heart?

It's ALL profit driven, even if you can't see or understand how or why. Car companies serve shareholders: Not owners; not enthusiasts and certainly not "passionate individuals" inside the company itself.

It's all a ruse. A clever lie. Just marketing designed to hide the corporate hands grasping at your hard earned cash.

Again, you couldn't be more wrong. You actually have it back to front. The ONLY reason these cars exist is because they help the company's bottom line in some (perhaps esoteric) way.

You're applying car enthusiast fanboy thinking to an exclusively profit driven multinational corporation.

WAKE UP!

And.. sorry to burst your bubble but countries outside of the USA exist who care more about small cars than your massive pick-up pieces of shit. As an aside, the USA didn't miss out on the GR Yaris because Toyota wasn't "passionate" about it lol, you missed out on it because the bean counters at Toyota worked out there was no money in it! I mean, duh.
Wow, did someone forget to take their vagisil this morning?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
He's right.

Source: I have extensive experience with supply chain management and product lifecycle cost reduction. There's nothing altruistic about any of it. Just trying to make more profit, because that's what the 10K sheet needs.

wavy warrior

First Name
Warrior
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Walk
1689105838687.png

Toyota just released official pricing for MY2024.
Despite 2024 being a complete carryover, it seems like all standard trims went up by 2k.
And the 45th Anniversary edition is 6k over the A91-MT...

2024 MSRP:
  • 2.0: $45540 (+2k)
  • 3.0: $54500 (+2k)
  • 3.0 Premium: $57650 (+2k)
  • 45th Anniversary: $64375 (+6k!!)
For comparison, here's 2023 MSRP:
  • 2.0: $43540
  • 3.0: $52500
  • 3.0 Premium: $55650
  • A91-MT: $58345

In other news, the 2024 exterior colors are now official and it looks like Nitro Yellow really is out.
2024 Exterior Colors:
  • Stratosphere
  • Absolute Zero
  • Renaissance Red 2.0
  • Nocturnal
  • Mikan Blast (45th Anniversary edition only)
But on 3.0 Premium, you can now get the interior in Hazelnut Leather.
3.0 Premium is the only trim you can get the interior in Hazelnut.

You would think it'd be available as an option for the 45th anniversary but apparently not.
1689106277317.png

Source: https://www.toyota.com/grsupra/
Will white cost more money since it's a different version or perhaps considered a special color? Not considering dealer mark ups

johnnyskids

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si

Everything any successful company does is by nature, profit driven. EVERYTHING. You have to look at their strategy holistically though. If Toyota builds Supras, they're profiting from it. Be it directly through sales or by improving the perception of their brand. Perhaps even simply providing a way to artificially sportify their many boring ass cars makes the Supra worthwhile. I mean that GR logo is on every fucking model these days. Why.. because it lets Joe Average in his shitty Toyota make a deep seated connection to the "halo" GR car he will never be able to own.

You think Google collects its data about us because its got our best interests at heart?

It's ALL profit driven, even if you can't see or understand how or why. Car companies serve shareholders: Not owners; not enthusiasts and certainly not "passionate individuals" inside the company itself.

It's all a ruse. A clever lie. Just marketing designed to hide the corporate hands grasping at your hard earned cash.

Again, you couldn't be more wrong. You actually have it back to front. The ONLY reason these cars exist is because they help the company's bottom line in some (perhaps esoteric) way.

You're applying car enthusiast fanboy thinking to an exclusively profit driven multinational corporation.

WAKE UP!

And.. sorry to burst your bubble but countries outside of the USA exist who care more about small cars than your massive pick-up pieces of shit. As an aside, the USA didn't miss out on the GR Yaris because Toyota wasn't "passionate" about it lol, you missed out on it because the bean counters at Toyota worked out there was no money in it! I mean, duh.
I think there may have been some misunderstanding from your previous comments. The way I read it, doesn't mean others feel the same way, is that you implied there is no way that the Supra is produced and sold at a loss, and that all of Toyota's products are sold to make a profit directly.
Your comment above better illustrates that you understand that some products exist not solely to make the most profit from their individual sale but have other affects outside their sales that boost other profit generators. Which is what I was trying to point out, mind you it seems that you feel I did a poor job in explaining that.

I'm going to take the high road and not get into some commenting back and forth attacking each other, I'll let you live in that zone. Have a nice day.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT

WAKE UP!

Listen, you aren't wrong.

It is a business and what we say here or even think doesn't matter at all.

All I'm saying is that Toyota has had a horrendous time getting their in demand products to consumer hands without markups or delays.

The US has it's own crash safety regulations that can limit the cars a global/international manufacturer can sell here.

For example:

The G81 M3 Touring.

The US and Canada never got the base 3 series wagon.

Why?

Because the F31 wagon sold so poorly, why would they bring that car over once again to not sell?

Because of that, the G31 wagon was never tested for government safety and emissions standards, which is why the G81 M3 will never come to the US until after they are legal to federally import aka 25 years/15 years in Canada.

These bean counters do notice trends.

While everyone here is all about this car, after speaking with multiple Toyota dealers looking for my GR86 and eventual Supra, I learned:

1. A lot of Toyota dealers will never even get a Supra or a GR86
2. It's a lottery
3. They're just trying to stay in business with whatever they get in
4. The enthusiast market is such a small portion of what they make money on that they literally don't care

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
I wonder if the Supra continues on past 2025, it appears that they sell them all as fast as they build them, and sell a lot better than the Z4.
Toyota learned from their MKIV mistake (in sold units) and from their Lexus LFA mistake. The reason Toyota stopped selling the MKIV was because of terrible sales numbers and then they built the Lexus LFA which sold poorly as well. Toyota this time around didn't want to get burned a 3rd time so the partnership with BMW allows them to build less, sell them all well and not lose their a** like they did with the MKIV in the 90s. Rumor right now is that the Supra will continue after 2025 but hybrid/electric. We shall see.

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
He's right.

Source: I have extensive experience with supply chain management and product lifecycle cost reduction. There's nothing altruistic about any of it. Just trying to make more profit, because that's what the 10K sheet needs.
No one is saying it’s altruism. There is a thing as a loss leader, and Toyota previously had Akio Toyoda, a proper petrolhead, in charge. He wanted to bring some excitement back to the brand, and with that we have the Supra, GRolla, and 86.

I can pretty much guarantee none of them were approved based on the potential for profit; and thus why both 86 and Supra projects needed outside collaborators to get green lit.

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Brands have "loyality building" cars, which are always the sports cars. They sell these at smaller profits to get people chatting about how good their brand is.

In turn, it helps sell their everyday cars by giving hype and discussion to the brand.

Hyundai do this really well with their N. As in, the best of all the brands I reckon.

I can tell you the profit in the Supra is about the same as a $60k AUD RAV4 (I'm in Aus). The dealership I'm at sold 2 Supras last year. One was mine (boat docks end of month, fuck yes). They sell about 10 cars per day on average.

These loyalty building cars are good for business, not directly through the profit of these halo cars, but via hype and chat that they bring to their brand.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Toyota learned from their MKIV mistake (in sold units) and from their Lexus LFA mistake. The reason Toyota stopped selling the MKIV was because of terrible sales numbers and then they built the Lexus LFA which sold poorly as well. Toyota this time around didn't want to get burned a 3rd time so the partnership with BMW allows them to build less, sell them all well and not lose their a** like they did with the MKIV in the 90s.
Well what Honda/Acura with new NSX and Toyota/Lexus with LFA learned is they're not considered the Super Car brand. priced at 170K/350K no one's going to buy that when they have other much proven sometimes even cheaper alternatives. Heck GTR is/was much cheaper but pretty much kept its price somewhat similar.. not 3+ fold..

LFA took way too long to go out the door. Already outdated when it released. At that price, only a collectors item vs proven competitors. I'm sure it was even more cumbersome to attain one.

I'd not put LFA or the A80 on the same bucket as A90 and also can't really say that they've learned a "lesson". LFA for above reasons and A80.. not much marketing and whatnot. it was the 80s :p, price went up, etc.. Celica was stellar in Rally, but how did A80 and other Supra's standout? too much history, whatever..

The cheaper FRS/86/GR86/BRZ has been on the market since 2012 with poor sales as well, at least in the US. Last year was the best year ever it saw. BRZ was doing better. This is why I mean they didn't learn a lesson.. or maybe they finally learned few years after Scion died...
So, sharing resources to bring things on the table has been the method..
How about Miata/124 🤣🤣 I see only one or two 124s on the road.. I didn't get this collaboration at all btw.

Ok, so I'll be honest. I'm not a Toyota fanboi and honestly don't know how anyone can be. All their vehicles have been boring inside n out up until only a few years ago when they realized that old people they sold the Camry's have died. Yes, exceptions on some SUV/sports cars, etc..
Toyota and Japanese love carrying over proven technology and play it safe.
This to me contributed to failures among their lack of proper marketing/etc. They finally revamped their marketing dept I guess as they featured the A90 in the Superball.
Reasons I bought FRS was because of lightweight awesome chassis, playful, etc.
Otherwise, obviously it horribly lacked interior and low on power. Luckily it indeed is/was tuneable.

So, I think Toyota didn't make a mistake on A90 for the first time ever on a "halo" car with proper marketing, sexy modern styling inside/out. A bit controversial like latest BMW designs. Priced well, etc.
Where they made a mistake is dealers and ordering... Didn't learn from their FRS/86/BRZ mistake at all. Crapshoot lottery ordering.. first come first serve..

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Well what Honda/Acura with new NSX and Toyota/Lexus with LFA learned is they're not considered the Super Car brand. priced at 170K/350K no one's going to buy that when they have other much proven sometimes even cheaper alternatives. Heck GTR is/was much cheaper but pretty much kept its price somewhat similar.. not 3+ fold..

LFA took way too long to go out the door. Already outdated when it released. At that price, only a collectors item vs proven competitors. I'm sure it was even more cumbersome to attain one.

I'd not put LFA or the A80 on the same bucket as A90 and also can't really say that they've learned a "lesson". LFA for above reasons and A80.. not much marketing and whatnot. it was the 80s :p, price went up, etc.. Celica was stellar in Rally, but how did A80 and other Supra's standout? too much history, whatever..

The cheaper FRS/86/GR86/BRZ has been on the market since 2012 with poor sales as well, at least in the US. Last year was the best year ever it saw. BRZ was doing better. This is why I mean they didn't learn a lesson.. or maybe they finally learned few years after Scion died...
So, sharing resources to bring things on the table has been the method..
How about Miata/124 🤣🤣 I see only one or two 124s on the road.. I didn't get this collaboration at all btw.

Ok, so I'll be honest. I'm not a Toyota fanboi and honestly don't know how anyone can be. All their vehicles have been boring inside n out up until only a few years ago when they realized that old people they sold the Camry's have died. Yes, exceptions on some SUV/sports cars, etc..
Toyota and Japanese love carrying over proven technology and play it safe.
This to me contributed to failures among their lack of proper marketing/etc. They finally revamped their marketing dept I guess as they featured the A90 in the Superball.
Reasons I bought FRS was because of lightweight awesome chassis, playful, etc.
Otherwise, obviously it horribly lacked interior and low on power. Luckily it indeed is/was tuneable.

So, I think Toyota didn't make a mistake on A90 for the first time ever on a "halo" car with proper marketing, sexy modern styling inside/out. A bit controversial like latest BMW designs. Priced well, etc.
Where they made a mistake is dealers and ordering... Didn't learn from their FRS/86/BRZ mistake at all. Crapshoot lottery ordering.. first come first serve..
I couldn't have said this any better. Perfectly stated. Unfortunately all over Youtube, some cars and coffee and people on the forums have reported people at the gas stations saying Nice BMW. It's never happened to me personally, but I would laugh because it would be a comment made in jealousy or hate. I guarantee you the same people hating on the MKV will be the same ones wanting to collect or build one in 10-15 years when we are all pushed into electric cars and we miss the good ol days. I'm 38 years old remember when the MKIV was out how it didn't get a cult following until after the fast and the furious. Not discrediting the 2jz and it's cast iron block, but the movie helped take it to a different stratosphere.

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
so.. @lmfao you know that there are several models that OEMs lost money on. Especially on the EV side of things many claimed that they're losing money on each car they make. Tesla recently became profitable.
Regarding profitability, everyone loves a sob story. Don't believe everything you read.

Also, Tesla is an interesting case because it is privately backed by someone who is purposefully taking large risks. Tesla is also a battery/technology company masquerading as a car company so it is an extraordinary example.

I agree that businesses are in business to make money, and that every action they take is on some level a function of maintaining, generating, or laying the market conditions for current or future profit. There is no such thing as a business decision made for altruistic reasons.
This.

It is also really the main explanation for why the 2024 model has the changes it has.
And this.

And then there's the thing staring us in the face the whole time, Toyota's obnoxious state-side allocation system. The whole thing is a big bean counter wet dream of maximizing profits and minimizing costs.
I think this "system" is everywhere and yes, from a corporate profitability standpoint, I'm sure the system is just dandy!

I think there may have been some misunderstanding from your previous comments. The way I read it, doesn't mean others feel the same way, is that you implied there is no way that the Supra is produced and sold at a loss, and that all of Toyota's products are sold to make a profit directly.
Your comment above better illustrates that you understand that some products exist not solely to make the most profit from their individual sale but have other affects outside their sales that boost other profit generators. Which is what I was trying to point out, mind you it seems that you feel I did a poor job in explaining that.

I'm going to take the high road and not get into some commenting back and forth attacking each other, I'll let you live in that zone. Have a nice day.
All good. I know my comments are abrasive but it's all in good spirit and learning. I get things wrong all the time and it's all good - I like being proven wrong so that I can improve my understanding! Believe me, I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone.. but picking a fight with an argument or standpoint, sure. While it may not come across that way, I always argue the point, not the man (or woman).

The interaction is valued. Have a good one mate. 😃

It is a business and what we say here or even think doesn't matter at all.
Yup.

No one is saying it’s altruism. There is a thing as a loss leader, and Toyota previously had Akio Toyoda, a proper petrolhead, in charge. He wanted to bring some excitement back to the brand, and with that we have the Supra, GRolla, and 86.
Yes and no. He wanted to bring MORE PROFITS by generating excitement back to the brand..

I can pretty much guarantee none of them were approved based on the potential for profit; and thus why both 86 and Supra projects needed outside collaborators to get green lit.
Wanna make a bet?

Last edited: