Toyota Supra to be launched in 2019 under Gazoo performance brand GR / GRMN related topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
ha ha not a grandpa....not even close, but guessing many of us have had our manuals in the past and now don't want a daily driver with a manual in heavy traffic....
that's cool, but to say hell with the manual is sad to read :confused: while personally it isn't a deal breaker if this turns out to be auto only, I'm still praying that we'll get a manual..
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all need to drive a car with a well tuned ZF 8HP. The Giulia Quadrifoglio has it and it is fantastic, it's honestly a highlight in a car that is already very stand-out. Shifts are as fast as makes no difference in a street car, and in auto mode, it's smooth as butter. I also have a decent amount of experience with BMW DCT (E92, nothing newer tho). Sure it was fast, but slow speed/city driving would absolutely confound it on a regular basis. The jerkyness got old quick. I know I'm a minority in saying this but I am very glad in the (prospective) transmission choice for this car. Granted, I would rather take a manual, even though BMW manuals are complete trash (At least they're not Audi manuals!).

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
That is strange. The getrag units in BMWs are maintenance-free. I believe graziano units and Porsche's PDK requires a fluid change, but I don't have any personal experience. Fluid services are still likely far cheaper than clutch replacements.
I should have limited my comment to the VW unit as I'm not up on the maintenance requirements for other DCTs - but in Canada that VW DCT service costs more than a grand.

Last edited:

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Y'all need to drive a car with a well tuned ZF 8HP. The Giulia Quadrifoglio has it and it is fantastic, it's honestly a highlight in a car that is already very stand-out. Shifts are as fast as makes no difference in a street car, and in auto mode, it's smooth as butter.
Very good to hear that. I'm sure Toyota will put a good deal of effort into tuning the ZF properly for a sportscar application - we saw evidence of their commitment to making this a genuine sports car when the Toyota CEO told the engineering team to rework the suspension to provide livelier handling.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Y'all need to drive a car with a well tuned ZF 8HP. The Giulia Quadrifoglio has it and it is fantastic, it's honestly a highlight in a car that is already very stand-out. Shifts are as fast as makes no difference in a street car, and in auto mode, it's smooth as butter. I also have a decent amount of experience with BMW DCT (E92, nothing newer tho). Sure it was fast, but slow speed/city driving would absolutely confound it on a regular basis. The jerkyness got old quick. I know I'm a minority in saying this but I am very glad in the (prospective) transmission choice for this car. Granted, I would rather take a manual, even though BMW manuals are complete trash (At least they're not Audi manuals!).
You gotta change those transmission settings bruh. Can't leave it in Sporty Puristic 6 all day long. ;)

E92 drives like a normal automatic if you put it in the softer settings. At least mine did. :dunno:

Seriously though, I suspect either the car you drove was left in one of those head-jerking track transmission modes, had a lot of aftermarket work, etc.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
You gotta change those transmission settings bruh. Can't leave it in Sporty Puristic 6 all day long. ;)

E92 drives like a normal automatic if you put it in the softer settings. At least mine did. :dunno:

Seriously though, I suspect either the car you drove was left in one of those head-jerking track transmission modes, had a lot of aftermarket work, etc.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is amazing and getting incredible reviews, even grumpy Jeremy Clarkson liked it...lol

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Amazing car riddled with all sorts of FCA related QC issues lol

Hopefully worked out by now, but man those press cars were dying left and right. Embarrassing to say the least...

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD

Hopefully worked out by now, but man those press cars were dying left and right. Embarrassing to say the least...
Not quite as bad as the recent fiasco with the Alpine A110 - 2 Top Gear hosts barely escaped from the car without getting 3rd degree burns as it self-immolated. (Admittedly the car was a pre-production sample, and it was being rallied.)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I've driven cars with both the ZF 8 and Aisin 8 trans both are great, nothing is wrong is auto, and I'm not a manual nazi but nothing can ever replace a stick..don't care how clunky or "outdated" it might be..

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

Oh yeah, my brother's QV has had a multitude of issues, but nothing that has been too out of the ordinary thus far, esp for a first year car. Driving it makes up for all of that though; I have driven few cars in that segment that can bring me as much joy as that car. It is an absolute masterclass of a sports car.

A car's ability to transcend its flaws is exactly what makes a car great. If the Supra can achieve that then I'll be a happy man.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Oh yeah, for sure. Don't get me wrong, that car looks AMAZING and from all I've heard has a killer drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.